Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Buyers that don't read..

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I sold a Promaster branded 18-200mm lens on amazon under Tamron 18-200mm since there was no Promaster item available to list under. Under the condition note I clearly stated it was a Promaster rebrand, and that the lenses are the same except the labeling and warranty. I also sent a message reminding the buyer that it was not a Tamron but a Promaster rebrand and waited a couple days (no response) before sending it to make the ship date.

Now, of course, the buyer wants a refund, saying he wanted a Tamron lens. My return policy states I will refund anything that does not match my description, but I'll probably have to accept a refund anyway. Or I'll fight with Amazon and lose surely. I hate selling on amazon - I've sold like 10 items and have not gotten 1 feedback yet.

01-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Why amazon and not ebay ? (did you try PF marketplace first ?)
01-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually had it on ebay and amazon at the same time for like months, amazon sold first. I just throw items on there not really caring when they sell.

Didn't use PF because at the time of listing I had no feedback and I'd have to bump it every so often and I was in the set it up and forget it mood. Also thought I could sell it for higher there.

In hindsight, yeah, should've posted it here.
01-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Damn Brit

So the buyer has to pay the return postage, don't refund until you get and inspect the lens. He's out dollars on the postage, you can put it up on the marketplace here. You only stress yourself trying to argue with dickheads like that.

Or just tell him to go screw himself and ignore any further communications from him.

01-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure listing one brand of product under another brands information is a direct violation of amazon's policies, (even though you know they are the same product). There's another applicable part of amazons rules which I remember reading recently, but can't find right now, but here's one quote from amazon's seller policy...

QuoteOriginally posted by Amazon's Listing Rules:
Do not list your item against a detail page with a different ISBN, UPC or other external identifier. Only list an item against a detail page with the same ISBN or UPC as your item.
If I'm right that it's a violation of the rules, I'd suggest you refund their money and pay for the return shipping of the item to hush 'em up - a complaint could land you in hot water with amazon.

I bought a used book for my wife on amazon, and it arrived without the dust jacket - I went and looked at the listing and sure enough there was a note indicating there was no dust jacket, but it was so small I had missed it when ordering - I think this sort of thing is easy to miss, and can be pretty disappointing to a buyer. How would you feel if you went to a Mitsubishi dealer and after signing the papers they tried to send you on your way with a Dodge ?
01-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like you would have had a better result going with your eBay auction, instead of going with Amazon. The eBay auction was correctly described.

I was amazed that your Promaster sold for $300, when an actual new Tamron was going for $230 after rebate. Makes me realize that I should also be patient when selling something to get the best price!
01-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, someone bought it on ebay for more, but he was in Canada and had a russian email address, so maybe I was lucky for already selling it and having to cancel?

The amazon guy just threatened me:

QuoteQuote:
I fear it may turn out expensive to you in a few respects for a very small issue.

Please just send me Tamron lens and get it over with.
Of course, I had told him in previous emails where he asked for a Tamron that I do not have a Tamron. Here is the email I sent him about it being a Promaster:

QuoteQuote:
And just to make sure you realize, this is a Promaster re-branded identical version of the Tamron 18-200mm, but includes a Promaster lifetime warranty instead

01-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Forum Member

I reckon he knew he was never going to get a Tamron but went ahead anyway knowing that he would then claim he should have got a Tamron in the first place. Just my 2cents.
01-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
Damn Brit

Have you thought about going to Amazon with this and explaining the situation?
01-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did send Amazon an email and they stated

QuoteQuote:
Please note that all sellers are required to match a product detail page exactly. If the product you want to list does not match the detail page in its entirety, the item should not be listed on that detail page. Listing an item that does not match the detail page (even if you state so in your comments), is considered a policy violation.

That being said, I would urge you to work directly with your buyer to arrange the return of the item, as well as the refund of the order. Keep in mind that while a full refund will always be the most customer friendly solution, it is up to the seller on how much should be applied for a refund.
Unfornately soon after he filed an A-Z guarantee claim that the item with different and I responded with a list of things I did to ensure that he knew what he was getting, and offered a return with restocking fee of 20% .

I decided to go the "I informed the buyer as much as possible" instead of the "the lenses are the same" since that is slightly harder to prove, but perhaps a mix of the two would've helped, such as adding this:

QuoteQuote:
Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-AF-18-200mm-Aspherical-Pentax/dp/B0007WK8NK/ref...1&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Specifications

* Focal length: 18-200mm
* Maximum aperture: f/3.5-6.3
* Lens construction: 15 elements in 13 groups
* Angle of view: 75 to 7 degrees
* Type of zooming: Rotation
* Diaphragm blades: 7
* Minimum aperture: f/22
* Minimum focusing distance: 17.7 inches
* Macro magnification ratio: 1:3.7 (at f=200mm)
* Filter size: 62mm
* Corresponding mounts: Pentax
* Lens hood: Yes, flower shaped
* Dimensions: 2.9 inches in diameter and 3.3 inches long
* Weight: 14 ounces
* Warranty: 6 years

PROMASTER ®
18-200mm Digital XR EDO Aspherical Auto Focus Zoom Lens
Promaster

Specifications:

• Enhanced Digital Optic Design
• Lens Construction: 15 Elements in 13 Groups
• Lens Coating: Multicoated
• Angle of View: 75-7°
• Minimum Aperture: f/22
• Minimum Focusing Distance: 17.7 in (0.45m)
• Maximum Magnification: 1:3.7 (at 200mm)
• Zooming System: Rotary
• Weight: 14 oz.
• Diameter x Length: 73.8mm x 83.7mm
• Filter Size: 62mm
• Bayonet lens hood included
• Lifetime Warranty
And I also didn't include the fact that there is no Promaster listing on Amazon, so I put it on the Tamron one.
01-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hoping that the restocking fee (20% = $60) works out for you, but probably if the seller is faced with that, he will just place a complaint with his credit card company, and a full chargeback will be issued.

I really do hope things work out. It is such a pain to be a seller these days, especially with eBay.
01-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #12

Sorry to hear of the failure in communications...

I have been bartering delicate and (read) expensive electronics and radio equipment for decades via computer and news print etc with only one or two difficulties in all that time. And even those were resolved to the satisfaction of all parties.

The forums include E-bay since it's inception, qth.com,qrz.com, yellow sheet trader, Hemmings motor news, craigslist and so many others that have come and gone.

I have been a buyer, a seller and a trader.

It sounds like you tried to do what you thought may have been best with regard to full disclose and perhaps there seemed no other way to communicate with the buyer.

Buyers often fail to acknowledge what they have actually read! They may even read it three or four times and not get it. I am sure that there are volumes written in psycho babble about this phenomena!

With this in mind I would have gone one step further before shipping to the buyer or even accepting his one cent of payment only because you already knew that the lens was not in the proper category.

(One of the reasons I don't do much with e-bay anymore and pay-pal. It has short circuited my communications with a buyer and interfered in the process too severely. E-bay is not seller friendly at all any longer and is extremely buyer biased regardless of how much of a dead beat you may have as a winner. Not suggesting that in this case of course.)

Given your circumstances. I would have insisted on a telephone conversation at the the very least making sure that the buyer knew exactly what he was buying and why it was listed the way it was (not choice or category).

I might have even insisted in on a written acknowledgement (e-mail at least) that the lens was not the Tamron etc and he/she understood this.

It has gotten to be a bit ridiculous the lengths that I have gone but it has always let me sleep at night! More than once I lost the transaction as a result of the "extended communication" but I know that I would have never heard the end of it had I just let the idiot continue.

The only thing I may lose is time but often well worth the price instead of dealing with a combative ignorant buyer.

Good luck to you and your resolve.
01-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure how this got resolved, but I can only assume a refund was given as this lens is back up on eBay.
03-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations! The lens sold on eBay for $200.

Patience does pay!
03-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heh yeah, still waiting on payment though *crosses fingers*