Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A little sales lesson...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Since we all at least look at Ebay and sometimes sell there as well I thought you all might like a little example of how to better max your profits. I was watching the following 3 listings (don't want one, just curious) and the first one listed his when there were none competing with him. The 2nd version did well too but the 3rd guy should have checked to see if he was following another. Listed on the same day but closed 2 hours later. Those following listings seem to always come up short and get the scraps left over from the ones that close earlier. I also found out through my Auction host that Ebay's slowest day of the week is Thursday so don't let it close on a Thursday.

The same thing happened 2 weeks ago with two 50mm F SMC f1.7's. The first guy got $172.00 and the second one 45 minutes later got $138.00

Might show how much the word "rare" and a box is worth for some reason as well.

Check the listings on the system before you post something that's a bit unique and spread it at least a day or 2 from the others if you can.

All were used.
1st one to close a few days earlier but was something of a feeding frenzie:
eBay: RARE Pentax SMC F AF 1.7X teleconverter adapter AS NEW (item 110133342168 end time Jun-06-07 18:40:22 PDT)

2nd one:
eBay: RARE Pentax SMC F 1.7X AF Adapter Provide AF to MF Lens (item 250129932514 end time Jun-20-07 09:00:00 PDT)

3rd one to close 2 hours later W/O a box:
eBay: PENTAX SMC PENTAX-F 1.7X AF ADAPTER (item 190122725310 end time Jun-20-07 10:53:57 PDT)

06-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There are a number of factors involved. I once sold a Ham radio on eBay, listed right after three other identical models. Because my auction had more details (mods, etc), better images, a couple of very low-cost accessories, and my real identity (name, address, & phone nunber) right on the auction page, mine sold for several hundred dollars more than the other three (roughly $900 versus roughly $600 for the next closest).

stewart
06-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you friggin' kidding me that someone bought one of these for $700?!?!

I'm selling.
06-21-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
There are a number of factors involved. I once sold a Ham radio on eBay, listed right after three other identical models. Because my auction had more details (mods, etc), better images, a couple of very low-cost accessories, and my real identity (name, address, & phone nunber) right on the auction page, mine sold for several hundred dollars more than the other three (roughly $900 versus roughly $600 for the next closest).

stewart
Stewart_photo, You're right more detail and photos make a huge difference. If the buyer can be sure they are getting what they want without writing the seller they are more likely to bid. Most buyers don't want to reveil themselves on the question posts until the last second. I use Auctiva to do my listings (not doing much any more tho - ran outta stuff from the old film days) and it saves a bundle because you can post 16 pictures and other features that you normally pay for all for the cost of one photo ($0.25)

If you are interested look at:
FREE eBay Auction Management, Auction Templates, Auction Tools, and Unlimited Image Hosting

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Are you friggin' kidding me that someone bought one of these for $700?!?!

I'm selling.
Isn't that something else? Every once in awhile an item seems to go haywire. Regularly these seem to sell for $400 -$450. Sometimes a listing seems to go nuts. There was an LX that had a great write up but was just the standard finder with a 50 f1.4 M and a strap that went for $933 about 8 weeks ago. I wish I had saved the listing. The body and finder was only $750 MSRP when they were new!

06-21-2007, 05:11 AM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
there are good deals to get tho. i wonder how long this one from june6 was on as BIN.. hope someone here got it.
AF 1.7x TC
06-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm holding. Maybe they'll hit a grand