Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, atu might be correct there, about eye dominance. (you can train yourself to use the other eye, but it's not as easy to just do. For some, anyway. ) With digital cameras, shooting left-eyed is usually no biggie. It was a bigger deal back when there was an advance lever to poke the left-eyed shooter.

When using one eye or the other, while keeping both eyes open, it's more like shifting your attention between these eyes (like you might do if you simply hold a hand in front of one eye or the other)

The idea here is you want both eyes to be pretty relaxed, whichever you use. It becomes quite natural.

01-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you very much for all that.. Just out of curiousity which eye do you guys use when you use both eyes open?
01-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Thank you very much for all that.. Just out of curiousity which eye do you guys use when you use both eyes open?
I use the right eye, (the dominant one) despite having that little astigmatism, there, just long habits of posture, there. I find it quite easy to switch eyes, after all this time, ...how I hold and point a camera, that's pretty ingrained for the right eye.

You do get the benefit of being able to see more around the camera right-eyed. Viewing with the left eye, the view's ahead
's more obstructed, but it's still good to leave the other open most of the time: you can just lower the camera a little.
01-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I keep both eyes open most of the time - except when the sun or a spotlight is blinding me. I am very much left-eye dominant and use it more often, but can easily switch to my right eye when I need to see what's going on outside the viewfinder, such as when shooting equestrian events.

Your dominant eye should dictate which eye you use. That's one thing you need to determine yourself. Keeping both eyes open or one closed is something you train for and get progressively better at with practice.

25 some years ago, my archery instructor taught me about eye dominance and how to determine which eye is dominant. The test is pretty basic but it's best described visually. Here comes YouTube to the rescue! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sncwpYapswk

01-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I have noticed long ago that my left eye often seem OOF afterward because I "squeezed" it too hard when my right eye was looking through the vf, but my right eye never had any issue. However, I remember there was a famous press photographer in hk had one eye blinded after shooting for so many years, according to his own word.
My left eye does the exact same thing.
01-16-2010, 05:36 AM   #21

RSI.......

In the photographic profession this is known as R.S.EYE...sorry....

OR

Better than a poke in the eye with a blunt camera.....oh dear...
01-16-2010, 07:05 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
don't close your other eye. takes practice, but it's how you're supposed to look through microscopes, etc.
The problem with shooting with one eye closed is that one eye ajusts to light and you're other eye ajusts to darkness. That can couse pain in you're eyes.

Learn to shoot with both eyes opened.

01-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #23
Dom

Make sure that you don't need corrective lenses (glasses) and make sure that the diopter is adjusted correctly.

As has already been said before use both eyes and don't close the other one. I'm lucky I don't have a dominant eye so it's real easy for my the switch.
01-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ive been trying to keep both eyes open but most of the time im seeing double, i will have to zoom out or zoom in just to see (focus my eye) the viewfinder clearly..
01-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
25 some years ago, my archery instructor taught me about eye dominance and how to determine which eye is dominant. The test is pretty basic but it's best described visually. Here comes YouTube to the rescue! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sncwpYapswk
Thx for the link. Just found out that the my left eye is dominant.. Im still trying to
practice to shoot on the right eye.
Is anyone here a left eye dominant but can shoot on the right eye?
01-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #26

Another thing that may contribute is that you might be pressing your eye too hard up against the veiwfinder. The pressure can cause discomfort etc.
01-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Ive been trying to keep both eyes open but most of the time im seeing double, i will have to zoom out or zoom in just to see (focus my eye) the viewfinder clearly..
That's normal, ...the trick of it is to learn to shift your attention back and forth, you don't want to be trying to see out of both eyes simultaneously: it's like, ....glance at something out of the corner of your eye without turning your head... What's your other eye doing? It's like that.

It's probably gonna be easier to learn this with a moderate focal length lens, though, by the way, though. (and as a point of interest, some rangefinder cameras are pretty desirable cause the magnification in the finder is 1x and you actually *can* see though both eyes at once comfortably. But we're not using one of those, now. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-20-2010 at 07:30 PM.
01-21-2010, 03:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx for the tips!