Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone experience this?

Last two weeks ago i went w/ my relatives to my uncle's farm and i took about more or less 500 pics in a day. In that evening I notice that my right eye is aching and it felt dizzy. Maybe i spent to long looking at the viewfinder.. I also experience this last week and it sucks. Has anyone experience that? what techniques/ methods can be used to avoid the situation again?

01-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have noticed long ago that my left eye often seem OOF afterward because I "squeezed" it too hard when my right eye was looking through the vf, but my right eye never had any issue. However, I remember there was a famous press photographer in hk had one eye blinded after shooting for so many years, according to his own word.
01-11-2010, 03:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
However, I remember there was a famous press photographer in hk had one eye blinded after shooting for so many years, according to his own word.
Whow thats pretty scary.. Thx for the heads up..
Right now i sometimes use my left eye to look in the VF.
01-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

shoot with both eyes open...took me years to break the habit of shooting with one eye closed.

01-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah what a good timing. A few minutes ago I was scanning some movies on my WDTV and stumbled on the movie Midnight Meat Train and saw he had both his eyes open. Im gonna try that next time and see if it works out.
01-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might also consider an eye exam: your eye might actually be straining over a little astigmatism without you even realizing it: perhaps even pushing the viewfinder against your face too hard, which could add up after a long day's shooting. The pain might actually be the muscles which focus your eye. (Keeping both eyes open most of the time while shooting is not only good for your awareness of what's going on around you, it'll also probably give some relief.)

I had a little teeny such astigmatism for a very long time, since I was quite young: my eyesight was actually excellent, but I'd still find myself blinking a a whole lot by the end of a given day: because the 'focusing muscles' were working so hard. It was only in recent years I've actually gotten the right prescription. Now I wear these glasses to keep my eyes rested, and push them out of the way to shoot. If I don't wear them, they get tired in a hurry cause of other health issues.

You might just have a similar little eye problem that's just too small to notice most of the time, such that you only notice after a long day's shooting.

Come to think of it, could your diopter setting have gotten moved accidentally? It could even be that simple.
01-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
You might also consider an eye exam: your eye might actually be straining over a little astigmatism without you even realizing it: perhaps even pushing the viewfinder against your face too hard, which could add up after a long day's shooting. The pain might actually be the muscles which focus your eye. (Keeping both eyes open most of the time while shooting is not only good for your awareness of what's going on around you, it'll also probably give some relief.)

I had a little teeny such astigmatism for a very long time, since I was quite young: my eyesight was actually excellent, but I'd still find myself blinking a a whole lot by the end of a given day: because the 'focusing muscles' were working so hard. It was only in recent years I've actually gotten the right prescription. Now I wear these glasses to keep my eyes rested, and push them out of the way to shoot. If I don't wear them, they get tired in a hurry cause of other health issues.

You might just have a similar little eye problem that's just too small to notice most of the time, such that you only notice after a long day's shooting.

Come to think of it, could your diopter setting have gotten moved accidentally? It could even be that simple.
I would agree

I have worn glasses for years, and I find as my perscription drifts I get headaches around my eyes. This could also suggest that your diopter is not correctly set on your camera and you are straining to focus

01-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Last two weeks ago i went w/ my relatives to my uncle's farm and i took about more or less 500 pics in a day. In that evening I notice that my right eye is aching and it felt dizzy. Maybe i spent to long looking at the viewfinder.. I also experience this last week and it sucks. Has anyone experience that? what techniques/ methods can be used to avoid the situation again?
techniques? use your left eye !

seriously, I had experienced this. possibilities vary but one of the most common causes is eye fatigue. one is dry eyes (forgot the medical term for it) but can be solved by using some eye drops.
01-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

I do have eyeglasses b4 but dont wear them now.
I guess I close my other eye way to much just to have a clearer view in the VF and I do push my eye too much in the VF. Thx for the advice
01-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

don't close your other eye. takes practice, but it's how you're supposed to look through microscopes, etc.
01-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
shoot with both eyes open...took me years to break the habit of shooting with one eye closed.
This is true and also pertains to shooting a firearm.
01-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You need to go get an eye exam....

I sometimes shoot a couple of thousand shots in a day at the race track and have never experienced something like that. I do shoot with both eyes open but doubt that has anything to do with it (unless its a muscle issue maybe).

Mike
01-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

taking shots like this may have induced the headache?

On a serious note go have your eyes fully checked by either an optometrist or ophthalmologist, eye symptoms are sometimes the indicator to something wrong with your brain.
01-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I sometimes shoot a couple of thousand shots in a day at the race track and have never experienced something like that. I do shoot with both eyes open but doubt that has anything to do with it (unless its a muscle issue maybe).

Mike
Which eye do you use in the vf?

I tried earlier both eyes open and cant see the vf well when using the right eye, Im seeing double.. The left eye is ok
01-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Which eye do you use in the vf?

I tried earlier both eyes open and cant see the vf well when using the right eye, Im seeing double.. The left eye is ok
This probably means that you are left eye dominate. I am and I use my left eye to focus and leave my right eye open.

Tim