Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #1

Dust underneath LCD! HELP!@!

Okie.. So i took my k100d to work and I didn't have a camera bag so while going to lunch I put it out of the way in my Book bag (less temptation).. I got a lot of little specks of dust underneath the LCD.. It's annoying.. Do you guys have any good solution for this? I search all over but couldn't find a goood hit. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue =P.

Thanks!

06-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine has a couple. It was shipped like that but the buyer did let me know. To tell the truth they don't really annoy me as usually the lcd is quite dirty even though I try to keep it as clean as I can and always carry the camera in a bag.

But as far as I can tell it's impossible to remove the protective screen (the dust seem to get stuck between it and the actual lcd) without disassembling the camera.
06-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyeros Quote
Okie.. So i took my k100d to work and I didn't have a camera bag so while going to lunch I put it out of the way in my Book bag (less temptation).. I got a lot of little specks of dust underneath the LCD.. It's annoying.. Do you guys have any good solution for this? I search all over but couldn't find a goood hit. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue =P.

Thanks!
You did mean the LCD viewing screen I assume. It can be removed at either the shop or yourself (I wouldn't tho to save a few $$ on an expensive camera). IMHO if dust can get in I'd personally have the unit checked. The screen is supposed to be sealed over the LCD and should keep out most dust and moisture from getting inside. I realize the K100d is not weather sealed but I'm surprised that this happened. My K110d has seen tons of use and has never shown any issue with this. If dust can get in then so may other things.
06-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Since dust is now where it wasn't previously, there clearly must be an opening for the dust to get under the screen. As such, there must be a way of removing the dust using that same opening. Have you tried using compressed air to carefully blow the dust back out?

Of course, be gentle when doing this. Keep the tip of the compressed air canister as far away from the LCD as possible, moving only as close as needed to remove the dust - the high pressure too close could perhaps damage the LCD itself. If the dust doesn't remove easily, quit and have the unit cleaned professionally (as the others have suggested).

stewart

06-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #5

yeah,the "dust under LCD cover" problem hit me too.You cant clean the dust by yourself but you can prevent more dust of getting in.I took a piece of black matte vinyl sheet,cut it rectangular 58/52mm and then cut a window in it-49/38mm(the window is not in the center,but you can take your own measures),that made a frame ,perfectly covering the border between the body and the LCD cover.The tricky part is to put it at the right place,the vinyl is very thin and sticky and it is hard not to damage it.Well,you can cut another if you screw the first sticker.