Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

out of sync flash k20d af540

I was reading an article on strobist and thought I would test my tru sync speeds on this thing. I was hoping to start to see where the little black strip would start to show up by increasing my shutter speed past the sync. Unfortunately my camera will not let me go past the 180 mark unless I switch to high speed sync and then I surely dont see the black bar because my flash is firing differently I believe. I have my flash mounted to the camera and my setting are on manual.

So the question is .. why wont my manual settings let me (screw) up the shot.. manual is restricting my creative process here I feel and Im not too happy with it.. Is there a way to continue raising my shutter speed on this thing?

Any input or link would be appreciated..

01-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A buddy of mine was talking about just that kind of experiment. He had watched some kind of DVD, there was a wedding photog doing that as an artistic technique.

I have the same Pentax equipment as you. I do like my K20D! I didn't personally see the results that he had talked about, but its description didn't really pique my interest. FWIW, I just don't think it's possible with our camera system. Pretty sure the guy in the DVD was using a Canon.
01-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to look at this from a different approach.

use the PC to photograph a CRT (remember those) and see if you could count the lines from the vertical sweep at different shutter speeds, this would give a good estimate of the transit time of the shutter.

A more scientific way would be to use an osciloscope triggered from the sync contact in manual flash, with a pattern that was fixed frequency and count the cycles displayed before the shutter started cutting them off.

I would also like to know the duration of my flash at each power setting, because there have been reports that on the K10 (and I think K20) full output from an AF540 FGZ has slightly non uniform illumination of the entire frame, suggesting the shutter is moving closed before the flash finishes firing.
01-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oh this is all way too technical for me.. I do like the input though. I just want to see something bad happen when I move my shutter speed past the sync speed, dang camera wont let me do it even in manual mode.. well hopefully someone knows how this can be done. Pretty neat idea though if it works..

01-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has deliberately made it impossible by shutting off the trigger circuit above sync speed.
As a working pro, I see this as a good thing, since the darned dials are so easy to spin on these cameras, sometimes the only indication that you get that a setting has gone wonky is not seeing the flash fire.
I'm happy that they've done this, even if it prevents a user from deliberately screwing up.
01-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm with Wheatfield... guess they could make it a custom setting!

I do remember seeing a discussion somewhere about this and I think the idea was by only using part of the frame (sensor) you could get a higher sync speed. You just have to remember to frame the image appropiately then crop afterwards.
01-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeHolliday Quote
I was reading an article on strobist and thought I would test my tru sync speeds on this thing. I was hoping to start to see where the little black strip would start to show up by increasing my shutter speed past the sync. Unfortunately my camera will not let me go past the 180 mark unless I switch to high speed sync and then I surely dont see the black bar because my flash is firing differently I believe. I have my flash mounted to the camera and my setting are on manual.

So the question is .. why wont my manual settings let me (screw) up the shot.. manual is restricting my creative process here I feel and Im not too happy with it.. Is there a way to continue raising my shutter speed on this thing?

Any input or link would be appreciated..
if you do the test and at 180 you get no lines, then you are syncing properly!

pentax does not claim to sync higher than 180, and it stops you from going higher

all the better, less room for user error.

01-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The High Speed Sync option fires the flash multiple times as the shutter passes over the sensor/film aperture. The loss here is flash range. It decreases rapidly as the shutter speed is raised.
01-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote

I do remember seeing a discussion somewhere about this and I think the idea was by only using part of the frame (sensor) you could get a higher sync speed. You just have to remember to frame the image appropiately then crop afterwards.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Sync speed is controlled by shutter blade speed. The faster the shutter can be accelerated, the higher the sync speed can be.
With what is being suggested here, all that one would get is a 1/180 second shutter speed with part of the frame missing.
01-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yea i did some more searching on this one and its just not possible to move past the sync speed on the k20d. its not the end of the world but a small bummer for the little scientist in me.

heres the article i was reading to get the idea if anyone is interested in it.

Strobist: Know Your Sync

makes sense that they wouldnt allow for this.. like you said, its so easy to screw with the dials.

well thanks for the replies..
01-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

as the article suggests you need to test your flash at maximum sync and maximum power, and look for banding.

you can measure the exposure and coverage much more accuratly by using your photo editor and checking the greyscale value at different sections of the screen
01-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Not on a Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote

Deliberately shooting with flash at a speed faster than the x-sync speed is possible on some cameras. In fact, from reading some of those threads, Pentax is one of the few that does not allow this.

You're right. The idea is to shoot at, say one stop higher than your sync speed, but compose the image so that nothing important is in the portion of the image that is cut off. Then, simply crop the image in PP.

I found it amusing in one thread about this, in which several users were stating that this was a major deal-breaker for them and that they were going to immediately sell their Pentax (or not buy it in the first place) and get either Canon or Nikon gear. These seem to be the same people who can't understand how Pentax can sell any cameras at all, when none of them can shoot 8 frames per second and Pentax is doomed without this feature.
01-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
yea i did some more searching on this one and its just not possible to move past the sync speed on the k20d. its not the end of the world but a small bummer for the little scientist in me.

heres the article i was reading to get the idea if anyone is interested in it.

Strobist: Know Your Sync

makes sense that they wouldnt allow for this.. like you said, its so easy to screw with the dials.

well thanks for the replies..
The Pentax camera won't let you go higher than the max sync speed because it knows you have mounted a Pentax dedicated flash onto the camera.

Well there is a workaround if you have an old auto flash (e.g. Vivitar 285HV - not the plain 285) with a single pin shoe. Now, you have to make sure that the flash trigger voltage is below 20 Voltage before mounting it onto your Pentax DSLR. With such a flash, the camera does not know the flash is mounted onto it even though the camera will still trip the sync pin and fire the flash. In manual mode with such a flash, you can use shutter speed above the max sync speed and will get the black unexposed strip.

(I don't recommend this if you are not familiar with older flashes or do not know how to measure the flash trigger voltage.)

Note: it actually does not work. It will let you dial in faster shutter speed and take the shot but the camera won't trip the flash if the shutter speed is faster than 1/180s.

Last edited by ma318; 01-16-2010 at 01:50 PM.
01-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thats awesome! thanks so much for that one.. im gonna give that a shot for sure. I knew someone could find a way to see that black strip thing.
01-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ma318 Quote
The Pentax camera won't let you go higher than the max sync speed because it knows you have mounted a Pentax dedicated flash onto the camera.

Well there is a workaround if you have an old auto flash (e.g. Vivitar 285HV - not the plain 285) with a single pin shoe. Now, you have to make sure that the flash trigger voltage is below 20 Voltage before mounting it onto your Pentax DSLR. With such a flash, the camera does not know the flash is mounted onto it even though the camera will still trip the sync pin and fire the flash. In manual mode with such a flash, you can use shutter speed above the max sync speed and will get the black unexposed strip.

(I don't recommend this if you are not familiar with older flashes or do not know how to measure the flash trigger voltage.)
thats awesome! thanks so much for that one.. im gonna give that a shot for sure. I knew someone could find a way to see that black strip thing.
Just be aware, you will get exactly the same thing as you would get shooting at sync and cropping the image.
There is no gain whatsoever from trying to fool the camera into shooting at a higher speed.
You are not getting a higher shutter speed by doing this.