Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Why Pentax??

OK, a few months ago I took advantage of teh great deal Pentax was offering with mail in rebates and I bought a K110d with kit lens. I have been pretty happy with this camera and enjoy taking photos with it although I dont think I am getting much better.

The one feature I really liked about this camera, other than the price, was all of teh available lenses that one can get....i.e. all of the old K mounts fit this body. I am sure this is not news to anyone on this forum.

Question 1 - If this is one of the great selling features of this camera, where the hell are all of these lenses??? Every photography store I go into doesnt have a damn thing for pentax. Canon and Nikon...Nikon and Canon. What gives? All I want is an old style, manual focus, high quality zoom lens that will take good photos. Well, there dont seem to be any out there. (if your answer to me is ebay you better have a way of explaining to a complete idiot how to tell the lens will fit on my camera)

Second, why would anyone in there right mind by a Pentax over a Canon or Nikon? Every store I go in as stated gives me the same answers. (as noted above) I met a guy on the street who was a "professional" photographer. I told him I had just bought a Pentax K110d DSLR....here is what he said....

"Oh really? I didnt know Pentax had made the jump into the DSLR market? I hope they are able to catch up with the industry leaders and can figure out how to make a nice camera."

Every serious photographer I meet has one of those two brands.

So, I cant find any lenses and Pentax is lagging behind in technology and cutting edge stuff.

Why did I buy Pentax? More importantly...why did YOU buy Pentax. And where the hell is the flooded market I heard about before buying this thing?

06-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm, I'm no pro, but the big selling point for me was lens compatibility, price, and I just like Pentax. I had a few lenses already that I knew would work, and decided Pentax was the way to go. Plus, I always root for the underdogs. I also knew if I upgraded to a K10D < which I will do eventually > that ALL of my lenses will be image stabilized.
06-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know how the situation is in your area but I still see som nice lenses for good prices. I have the last year got hold of M50 1.7, A50 1.7, M28 2.8, M135 2.8, F35-70 and F70-210. All in good shape and together less then $200.00.
I can tell you my friends with Canon have not been able to pick up the same bargains but they all keep telling me that Canon have a much bigger range of lenses (which they can't afford to buy). Have a look under "The Photographer's Marketplace" in the forum. Time to time there are some nice old lenses for sale.

Cheers

Eddie
06-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Seafood Quote
OK, a few months ago I took advantage of teh great deal Pentax was offering with mail in rebates and I bought a K110d with kit lens. I have been pretty happy with this camera and enjoy taking photos with it although I dont think I am getting much better.

The one feature I really liked about this camera, other than the price, was all of teh available lenses that one can get....i.e. all of the old K mounts fit this body. I am sure this is not news to anyone on this forum.

Question 1 - If this is one of the great selling features of this camera, where the hell are all of these lenses??? Every photography store I go into doesnt have a damn thing for pentax. Canon and Nikon...Nikon and Canon. What gives? All I want is an old style, manual focus, high quality zoom lens that will take good photos. Well, there dont seem to be any out there. (if your answer to me is ebay you better have a way of explaining to a complete idiot how to tell the lens will fit on my camera)

Second, why would anyone in there right mind by a Pentax over a Canon or Nikon? Every store I go in as stated gives me the same answers. (as noted above) I met a guy on the street who was a "professional" photographer. I told him I had just bought a Pentax K110d DSLR....here is what he said....

"Oh really? I didnt know Pentax had made the jump into the DSLR market? I hope they are able to catch up with the industry leaders and can figure out how to make a nice camera."

So, I cant find any lenses and Pentax is lagging behind in technology and cutting edge stuff.

Why did I buy Pentax? More importantly...why did YOU buy Pentax. And where the hell is the flooded market I heard about before buying this thing?
This will elicit a ton of various answers. Many may be like mine. Having shot Pentax for 25 years the choice was logical. Lots of lenses, unique features and above the others for quality vs price. One of the determining factors for me was the lenses. Pentax has and still produces some of the finest glass that has ever been produced. You can own a Brand X camera with poor glass and you get poor pictures. You can own a cheaper Brand camera and have great glass and have great pictures. Clearly more than that comes into play but glass can be (maybe the biggest factor) a very positive or negative factor in the finished result. I had lenses in my bag that would fit the new bodies so it was an easy selection. That's certainly not the only reasons and I'll probably detail that further later on.

As for Ebay, It's a very good source for gear. I'd bought many items there with great success. It may be that there aren't many supporting dealers in your area but there are many other sources than the local dealer. You can try B&H, Henry's, Tri-State, 17th Street photo, KEH, Adorama, Amazon just to name a few. Check the web for an authorized dealer that may be in a town/city near you as well. You can also buy direct from Pentax as well. So the sources aren't that hard.

Ebay is a relatively cheap source for many items as long as you do some research from the other sources above. You can find almost any item you want with some time and patience. If you see a lens etc that you like there then post a question in a new thread and somebody will offer some hints and always check the lens data base for reviews. If you want more review web sites I'd be happy to list some as will others here.
Also you can post WTB (want to buy) threads and that may get some responses.

As for the "Pro" photog's there is a ton of brand loyalty and sometimes arrogance with some owners. Each brand has it's strength and weaknesses. Pentax built over 24 million lenses and counting. That's not counting all the other 3rd party brands so theres plenty of used product out there.
There are plenty of threads here that outline the pros and cons of each model so I won't delv into that here.
Feel free to post questions about a specific item you need, you're sure to find it.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-24-2007 at 08:49 PM.
06-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a couple of great things for those other brands:
(1) Ask someone with a Nikon if they can mount a non-AI Nikkor on their DSLR.
(2) Ask the Nikon user again if their camera can meter with their manual focus lenses (AI and later, obviously). They will only answer yes with the (pricey) D200 or D2X/H.
(3) Pick up a Canon and use it. They have terrible (for me) ergonomics.

Add to that:
(4) Every Pentax I own has a great viewfinder, with a big bright focus screen.
(5) Pentax makes the Best Autofocus Lens Money Can Buy. (Some would argue with me, but they are wrong.) They also make some pretty good lenses.

I got a Pentax because it felt better in my hand than the price dictated. I have stayed with Pentax because the ergonomics are better than any other camera manufacturer, and there are some smashingly good lenses out there if you look for them.

For manual focus lenses (the bargains are drying up, sorry) you can try keh.com and the used section at B&H. eBay is erratic but still possible. And probably most reliable is the marketplace here.
06-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #6

Pentax for me....

The main reason: Image Stability on any lens.

2ndary reason - Value for the money - on a budget

What do I have:

Pentax FA 50mm 1.4 - new
Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 new
Tamron 70-300mm 4-5.6 tele-macro used - KEH.com
Vivitar 135mm 2.8 M42/K mount used - eBay - retiring 80yr old photographer
Zenitar 16mm 2.8 M42/K mount new

Amazing photos, from some humble priced glass. I couldn't have this stable of lenses with either Nikon or Canon.

Would I like a 5D with the $$$$$$$ glass attached, yup, but it's not worth it to me.
06-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
where the hell are all of these lenses?
You can get old Pentax lenses in a variety of places: eBay, KEH, B&H, Adorama, forums such as this, etc, etc.

QuoteQuote:
...if your answer to me is ebay you better have a way of explaining to a complete idiot how to tell the lens will fit on my camera
How do you know that any of the new lenses are going to fit your Pentax camera? For that matter, how do you know that a certain Canon lens will fit a certain Canon body? The answer is pretty much the same for every manufacturer: (1) research the mount types of your camera and the lenses you're looking for, and (2) look for people who are already using that configuration. Here at Pentaxforums and over at the DPR forums you can find users who have, when taken in the aggregate, just about every Pentax lens manufactured. With such a wealth of knowledge, the answer seems to be just a couple mouse clicks away. Never be afraid to ask a question. As dumb as it may seem to you, there are probably a number of other users lurking around afraid to ask the very same question.

QuoteQuote:
why would anyone in there right mind by a Pentax over a Canon or Nikon
I find this a puzzling question as you seem to have provided a very good answer in your first couple sentences. The feature to price ratio that Pentax offers is far and above what anyone else can offer. That's certainly why I purchased the K10D. Now, of course, I'm a rather new Pentaxian, so others may have more technical or sentimental reasons, but in my case price was the leading factor. I simply couldn't justify paying a premium for a stabilized lens when Pentax was offering in-body stabilization and lenses which I felt (now a lot more strongly than before) were more than adequate for my shooting style.

QuoteQuote:
Pardon my bluntness, but so what? There's a professional photographer on this very board who ditched his Canon stuff to join the Pentax team. The camera that other people use should have no bearing on which camera you use. If you pick up a Canon or a Nikon and say, "Well, I like this camera a lot more than the Pentax," that's fine. But if you pick up a Canon or a Nikon and say, "Well, I really don't like this camera, but apparently all the serious photographers use it, thus it must be great," then you're not making a very logical decision.

06-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #8

You could also visit pawn shops and used item stores, there are sometimes very interesting items for sale. Sometimes nice lenses comes with an older film camera, but if the price is right it does not matter.
06-24-2007, 09:08 PM   #9

Yeah, you can look at pawn shops as well. I was in a local pawn shop the other day and picked up the following lenses all at the same shop

Pentax SMC-M 28mm f/2.8
Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4 (3rd version, I got lucky) in PK/A mount
Vivitar 28-135mm close focus macro also in PK/A mount

It was all the pentax lenses he had and I bought the whole lot for $100 USD. Not too shabby.

Here's the interesting part: these lenses are like 20-30 years old, yet they still work in pentax's DSLRs. Pentax is the *only* brand to cater to users with old yet perfectly usable glass. For crying out loud the green metering button is right by the shutter!!! This is no accident or fluke that these old lenses still work, the camera is designed to work with all the pentax lenses...

To answer another question, you can tell immediately if a lens will fit pentax because they are usually all stamped with the letters for the mount type (PK, PK/A, etc.) right on the base plate of the lens. Heck, most pawn shops don't have a clue as to what they have, which is another draw for me -- its like a treasure hunt out there
06-24-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I looked hard at Canon, Panasonic/Leica (effectively the same - identical hardware with different firmware for most of them), and eventually Pentax.

Why didn't I look at Nikon? - Nikon Responds to Encryption Claims - PhotographyBLOG
I'm not going to support a company that pulls shenanigans like the D2X whitebalance encryption and then claims that it's for their customer's own good. (I happen to be a heavy Linux/open source software user, so the NEF fiasco was a pretty big issue for me.) Also REALLY expensive.

Why didn't I buy a Canon? - I nearly did, but to get a camera with IS it came to around $1200 (Rebel XTi with an IS lens - I've been spoiled by my Panasonic DMC-LX1's OIS so having some form of IS was critical to me), and then I found out that the XTI was a $900 body that didn't have spot metering. WHAT? Every point&shoot I've used for the past few years (admittedly all highend ones, but still in the $400 and below range) has supported it, there's NO excuse for a DSLR to be missing that feature.

Why not the Panasonic L1? It was pretty expensive (although I realize now that the kit lens was an f/2.8...), had a smaller sensor than other DSLRs, and so far while the Four-Thirds system has lots of promise (due to support from multiple manufacturers), the kit lens was the only IS one in existence, and even taking into account all of the Four-Thirds manufacturers there were fewer lenses than even Pentax's in-production first-party lineup.

Why Pentax? Originally Pentax was out due to the difficulty I had in finding accessories for my family's old PZ-70, especially third-party ones.

I did some research and found that it the third-party Pentax situation was far better than back then, Pentax's first-party accessories (such as the flashes) were far more reasonably priced than I remember, and I already had some Pentax glass, ALL of which would get image stabilization. (In retrospect, not as good of a reason as I thought. The K10D has shown me just how bad the Sigma 28-200 on my family's old PZ-70 was. On the other hand, my $30 eBay special 50mm f/2 Pentax-M lens SHINES on the K10D once you get the hang of using manual lenses.)

There are lots of very good "classic" lenses to be found on eBay or keh.com, although the compatibility with the new SLRs has caused significantly increased demand for such lenses - prices are going up, and the value of some of the lenses has gone up to WAY above what they sold for new (such as, I believe, the Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro). There is also a good selection of Russian screwmount (and even native K mount) lenses that have amazing bang for your buck. For example, the 16mm MC Zenitar-K fisheye seems to be something that most people on these forums eventually purchase. (Probably because it's a decent fast wide lens for around $150, and the fisheye effect is not too significant/distracting when used with an APS-C DSLR.)

The cons: You won't have much success trying to find Pentax gear in brick-and-mortar stores. You get far better prices online anyway, and many online vendors are far more reputable than some of the B&M places I've been to. B&H and Adorama are both great, Amazon works too. (I got my K10D from Amazon due to being a New York State resident - I would have gotten nailed with hefty sales tax from Adorama or B&H).

With that, I'm off to bed, which should help resist the urge to buy a 300mm f/4.5 Rubinar.
06-24-2007, 11:50 PM   #11

I bought Pentax because when I started out in photography it was the cheapest way to get a camera and two lenses in the SLR format. I used that camera for about three years until the istDS came out. I bought that Pentax because I already had lenses (the original two plus a couple of additional) and was happy with Pentax's quality.

30000 shutter actuations later I bought Pentax again (K10D) because I'm getting serious about photography as a hobby but I'm STILL more than happy with Pentax. Quite simply, it's never let me down. I'm not a professional and I don't need a camera that markets itself (and prices itself) as a professional camera. But also I don't think that just because an amateur or even midrange Canon or Nikon has those manufacturers' badges on them that they're automatically superior to what Pentax offers. And if Canon or Nikon are 5% or 10% better (and I don't even think that they are) then you always have to weigh that up against the extra price you pay for their 'premium' brands. Pentax cameras cost less, Pentax lenses cost less, and they're all interchangeable. It makes photography much more accessible. That they're now also winning awards is excellent. And I can't put it better than Alex :
QuoteQuote:
The feature to price ratio that Pentax offers is far and above what anyone else can offer
.... or perhaps you could even say 'chooses to offer'.

I'm not so sure about a flood of lenses, but I'll say one thing: in Australia up until recently you wouldn't even see Pentax lenses sold with their cameras - it was all Sigma lenses. I didn't get my first Pentax lens until earlier this year when I picked up a manual 50mm f1.7 from (you guessed it) ebay. Now just about all new Pentaxes I see (K100, K10) come with Pentax kit lenses. So there is certainly an increasing trickle!

Finally, I wouldn't denigrate either Canon or Nikon because I have family friends who shoot with both brands. They're entirely happy with their choices and they produce fine photographs with them. And yes they goodnaturedly poke fun at my 'other brand' camera. But I'm happy with my choices - all of them. Pentax puts very good cameras within the reach of many more people than Nikon or Canon. And at the everyday level of usage most people require from their camera (to generalise: 6x4 inch printouts, perhaps 8x12s) I defy you to find a photo opportunity where a Pentax is at a disadvantage to another brand. It's just a pity (in the sense that it doesn't affect me but still 'hurts'!) that Pentax can't yet overcome the market perception of having an inferior quality or ability to its rivals, and that people value the photographer by the label of his/her camera so quickly.
06-25-2007, 05:02 AM   #12

I bought the K100D because it was perfect for me. If I was a "fan" of any brand, it's Panasonic. Couldn't afford their DSLR so stuck my SD cards in every other brand that would take them. The images from the Pentax were perfect for my visuals "out of the box", so to speak. I also vastly preferred in camera image stabilization in the body rather than sink endless money into VR lenses. I also have never cared what the "pros" are using or doing. I think eight months down the road my stuff is vastly improved from where I started. But I shoot for myself - for my own pleasure. It's been a good match for me.
06-25-2007, 05:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Why?

QuoteOriginally posted by Seafood Quote

I was Officially sponsored by Canon France and used their stuff exclusively till January of 2007 where I Officially changed to Pentax..Why? Because for what I do Pentax are "Grand" and they have a few other cards up their sleeves that will cause quite a stir over the next 6 months to a year...

Ben
http://www.pentax.fr/_fr/photo/photographes.php?photo&photographes

PS: This is shot with the K10D for "NoName Magazine" coming out July, 2007...One of an eight page series...

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2013 at 06:03 PM.
06-25-2007, 06:28 AM   #14

Why buy a Pentax? he says... .

Because right now they are the best bank for the buck, because they have more features, better build quality, better ergonomics, more flexibility in control, built is shake reduction that allows a more economical price structure for lenses unlike the 'big two' you mention.

The fact that some local shops do not have the flood of lenses means nothing, since I got my K10D last November, I have been able to find new or used, all the lenses I want, in my city and on reputable mail order eBay sites.

I have Pentax AF 50mm 1.7, Sigma EX 50mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 17-70 DG 2.8 Macro, Sigma EX 10-20mm DG 3.5-4 and the Sigma Bigma EX 50-500mm 3.5-6.7, and I have purchased and sold 20 or so other lenses as I figured out what I wanted/needed.

Oh yeah, a AF360FGZ flash and the AF540FGZ flash, Remote Control, Battery Grip etc etc...

What else do you need... oh yeah, and when you compare the C and N images, I think the Pentax kicks ass!!

But that is only my personal opinion..
06-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I was Officially sponsored by Canon France and used their stuff exclusively till January of 2007 where I Officially changed to Pentax..Why? Because for what I do Pentax are "Grand" and they have a few other cards up their sleeves that will cause quite a stir over the next 6 months to a year...

Ben
Ben, reading some of these posts from your meetings is driving me nuts! It's like being 8 years old and wondering if Santa is bringing a Lionel train set I've wanted for 3 years or that cheapo plastic HO gauge wind-up train set. And Christmas is 6 months away!!

Another awesome image BTW as is the norm from your work. Just a testament that Pentax doesn't have to look up to any brand in the right hands!