Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
... on a night flight - don't use flash
LOL - an' I though the reflection of someone lighting a cigarette was a launder-o-mat event.

QuoteQuote:
...those tiny windows...
Nah, the bigger the 'windows' in seized-wing aircraft the more potential for undesirable excitement (consider that full bubble canopies sport ejection seats) and I always close one eye so I can't see more 'n I can comprehend anyway...especially when the window's open!

H2

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
01-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
LOL - an' I though the reflection of someone lighting a cigarette was a launder-o-mat event.

Nah, the bigger the 'windows' in seized-wing aircraft the more potential for undesirable excitement (consider that full bubble canopies sport ejection seats) and I always close one eye so I can't see more 'n I can comprehend anyway...especially when the window's open!

H2
"Seized-wing"???? Are you by chance also a rotor-head?

Been awhile since I've been out there, but I enjoyed seeing the KDEN shot. One of my most memorable times there was coming in the the B727 one summer and seeing a microburst come down as we were rolling out.
01-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Absolutely not. My theory is one should never board a "fling-wing" aerospace device unless it sez RESCUE on the side and one is bleeding profusely or up to one's ear-balls in alligators (or gonna be late for happy hour).

H2
01-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Nah - he's talkin' to me (in small words so's I can understand)...

Absolutely not. My theory is one should never board a "fling-wing" aerospace device unless it sez RESCUE on the side and one is bleeding profusely or up to one's ear-balls in alligators (or gonna be late for happy hour).

H2
And my theory is that you should never land without stopping first . My ship says FIRE on it, but we'll still rescue you if you need...

With apologies to the OP who's thread is now squawking 7500 ...

01-29-2010, 03:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
We were in a little cessna, the 'good' one was booked that day, however, this one was fine.

Here is my pilot with his dad, he did some circuits at the local airfield before we went cross country back home.

I wish I had used a little slower shutter, didn't catch the prop going a full 360.
In a Cessna, you can unscrew the brace that holds the window partially open, and it will just swing out all the way to the wing. Just don't let it go by itself, so it doesn't hit the wing, and be prepared for the breeze. Back seat flyers are going to hate you but...
01-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yves, (or who ever knows)

My buddy is a newer pilot and is nervous about opening the window. I will not force him to do it, that would be pretty dick move on my behalf. But what would we have to expect if we did it? Does the plane jerk? We would stow everything securely, because I imagian the wind would be noticeable.
01-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #22
Veteran Member

There is no problem at all. When I do that, I reduce speed/throttle to avoid buffeting and reduce the "breeze". If you do that in winter/cool weather, dress warmly. Just make sure you don't have any loose papers in the plane. You never know where they are going to end up.

01-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Papers?

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
...in winter/cool weather, dress warmly. Just make sure you don't have any loose papers in the plane.
What would I use papers for? Ain't no head in that thing.

Cool weather's no problem either - I start sweatin' soon as it starts makin' noise - an' it gets worse if it stops makin' noise.

H2

Squawk 7600 indeed! I had to strangle the parrot 'cause it squawked 7700 every time the wheels left the ground.

We gotta give the OP back 'is thread fer sure.
01-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

What would I use papers for? Ain't no head in that thing.

I start sweatin' soon as it starts makin' noise - an' it gets worse if it stops makin' noise.
That's when you need paper!!!
01-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Windows 're for sissys

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
But what would we have to expect if we did it?
Well, you'd grow hair on the palm of both hands and go blinder than a bat. Then it'd suck the socks right off your feet.

Seriously, in a C-172 it'd be about like opening the window in your car at 30 MPH . No big t'ing a'tall.

Pull the window hinge pin and lift it all the way up to the bottom of the wing and tie it to the door latch if you want. Heck, pull the pins on the door hinges and remove that too. It'd get a little windy then if you were to side slip into the open window but nothin' terrible'd happen. Jumpers and photographers do it all the time. Both are within the certified limits of that aircraft.

You can actually control a l'il Cessna by opening or closing either or both doors (plus the throttle if the engine's makin' noise).

Check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP_CPOH0EbE

H2
01-29-2010, 11:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That was about how our flight went. Only I think we landed on the roof.?!?