Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

Is Pentax going down??

Co
Correct me if I'm wrong. When you look at the marketplace more and more people selling their DSLR Pentax k20d. Is this because they want to buy K-7 or ( that's what I see ) people are moving to Canon and Nikon. All these pros like Pentax is more film like or Pentax has more vivid images -that's something you can find only here-on Pentax forum. CaNikon people don't believe that. Do you buy Pentax because you really,really love this brand or we are cheaper then CaNikon folks? I do not know. I myself shoot Pentax k20d have many beautiful vivid images but lately start to think about further direction.
Is this - like they say in Europe-
If you do not have what you like you have to like what you have...
I don't mean to fight but looking for real answers.
have a nice weekend shooters.
PS
Thank you for constructive answers.

Last edited by sznajder; 01-23-2010 at 03:10 PM.
01-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #2

Pentax is here to stay.

There's a number of reasons why *I* love pentax, though.
-Best weather sealing for under $1k
-In body Shake Reduction
-Great Lenses. DA and DA* are Canon "L" quality optics
-Wonderful Ergonomics. Pentax bodies fit my hands so well
-Pancake Primes. Only other companies that offer that is Olympus and Panasonic. (both using 4/3rds or m4/3 format)
-Compatibility to use any pentax lens ever made. canon can't say that!
-Good codecs. Movies are in AVI format, RAW's are in DNG (the new "standard"). Don't need to use proprietary software to process files.
-Price is always a factor, but less so now. Pentax glass used to be "dirt cheap," but it seems now the prices are creeping up to what most would consider normal. Bodies are a great value, especially the K-x, which was at $479 a few weeks ago.
-Performance - ISO 12,800 mode on the K-x, best of the APS-C.

Yea, the list goes on. Pentax rocks.
01-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are no guarantees in life. If you had told me ten years ago that GM and Chrysler would be bankrupt, I would have been shocked. On the other hand, Hoya is a very stable, very conservative company that has gotten a company (Pentax) that was bleeding red ink, solidly into the black and has consistently released excellent cameras.

They do seem to have decided that they will sell bodies cheaply and make money on lenses. They also have made the decision to forego the pro market and sell to entry and semi-pro. Even when they finally release a full frame camera, I don't expect it be a pro camera.

People sell equipment for different reasons. To buy different equipment from the same maker, to buy equipment for another camera company or, just because they have stuff they aren't using and want to make a little money. I certainly don't see a mass exodus from Pentax and wouldn't worry. I feel confident Hoya is going to continue down the same path and make Pentax a winning brand.
01-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh heck canon and Nikon maybe going down too?!?

I see people in the canon and nikon forums selling their cameras and lenses and accessories!!!

01-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I can't say wheter Pentax is doomed ... I tend to think not, as the K-X seems to be hit. I think that a certain percentage of folks will tire of a system and sell it off in order to try another. I think this might happen a little more often with Pentax since there are a few areas (auto focus and high ISO) where an upgrade to a more expensive camera of a different system can give the user higher performance, so whereas someone with a Canon 40D may decide to upgrade to the 7D or a 1DIII for better AF and high ISO while keeping most of their lenses, someone with a K-7 will need to to sell out of Pentax in order to upgrade to a higher performance body (with accompanying lenses).
01-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot Pentax because I choose to do so. I owned a full Canon setup including L glass and sold all of it to switch because Pentax offered better IQ IMHO, not so plasticy looking like Canon, Canon just looks digital, Pentax looks more like film. The Pentax also offered in body IS so I didn't have to buy every lens with IS and pay a fortune more for it. I shot GAF, Pentax, and Chinon film cameras, so I had quite a collection of M42 and K mount glass as well, so now don't have to carry 4 systems, only 2-3(Pentax, Sigma, and film.. either Rangefinder, MF, or 35mm if want film). . Pentax offered true spot metering and weather sea,ling, couldn't get from Canon until stepped up to a Series 1 body, and while I could spend the $$$$$ on one, I refuse to be ripped if and pay 2x what a camera is worth because it has a certain brand on it! I also got sick and tired of Canon's BS with body releases and really not adding anything worthwhile! Not to mention all then QC issues and CS issues Canon had and has continue to develop over the past few years!

My only regret in switching to Canon is that I didn't do it sooner!
01-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax isn't a company per say....and Hoya isn't going bankrupt. Hoya could sell the camera line but it is making money. Hopefully they will invest enough to keep it healthy in the long run but it won't disappear.

01-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Following this thread.
01-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nope, not over that.

When the economy's tough, people sell stuff: instruments, cameras, whatever. And for those who are doing well, Pentax has just come out with a couple of models people really seem to like and want.

When people upgrade, a lot of stuff turns up on the market. This is to be expected.

And, frankly, people we don't even usually see here are now coming to sell Pentaxes: which is to say, if you have a Pentax to sell, this is now a place to come, even if you aren't part of the usual crowd here.

I don't think any of this can be expected to mean 'Pentax is going down.' People spent a certain amount of money to make Pentax improve like this: if the company 'goes down' it won't be cause of anything reading this board can predict. Of that, I'm pretty darn sure.

'Slows down,' that may be something we've been seeing. But they just moved their factories in some of the worst economy we've seen since the Great Depression, and unlike bigger brands, are showing profit.

Which isn't to say corporate boards couldn't bollix up a Walking In Line Lovers' Parade. But that goes for anyone.
01-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sznajder Quote
Co
Correct me if I'm wrong. When you look at the marketplace more and more people selling their DSLR Pentax k20d. Is this because they want to buy K-7 or ( that's what I see ) people are moving to Canon and Nikon.
Selling isn't throwing away. If someone's selling, another one is buying. It's not sure, on the other hand, that the percentage of those buying new Pentax dslr's has decreased since Jan. last year. The K-x seems to attract a serious number of people--if the surge in pentaxforums membership is any indication.

Last edited by causey; 01-23-2010 at 09:31 PM.
01-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digitaldevo Quote
I shoot Pentax because I choose to do so. I owned a full Canon setup including L glass and sold all of it to switch because Pentax offered better IQ IMHO, not so plasticy looking like Canon, Canon just looks digital, Pentax looks more like film. The Pentax also offered in body IS so I didn't have to buy every lens with IS and pay a fortune more for it. I shot GAF, Pentax, and Chinon film cameras, so I had quite a collection of M42 and K mount glass as well, so now don't have to carry 4 systems, only 2-3(Pentax, Sigma, and film.. either Rangefinder, MF, or 35mm if want film). . Pentax offered true spot metering and weather sea,ling, couldn't get from Canon until stepped up to a Series 1 body, and while I could spend the $$$$$ on one, I refuse to be ripped if and pay 2x what a camera is worth because it has a certain brand on it! I also got sick and tired of Canon's BS with body releases and really not adding anything worthwhile! Not to mention all then QC issues and CS issues Canon had and has continue to develop over the past few years!

I'm almost certain you mean switching to Pentax here, but I'm gonna steal your quote...

I hear you on some of the advantages of Pentax over Canon. So far, the my Canon is doing all the things I wanted the Canon to do for me that I couldn't get my Pentax K-7 to do for me (focusing fast and accurately on moving subjects, and shoot at high ISO's with detail). Different priorities drive people to different systems, the good trick would be to determine what you're priorities are while you're still a noob (before you even buy a SLR ), that way you won't have to change systems.
01-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I hear you on some of the advantages of Pentax over Canon. So far, the my Canon is doing all the things I wanted the Canon to do for me that I couldn't get my Pentax K-7 to do for me (focusing fast and accurately on moving subjects, and shoot at high ISO's with detail).
Hey Josh. If memory serves, sounds like the 5D2 is serving you well. If you think the 5D can focus fast and accurately on moving subjects, just wait until you try a Canon (or Nikon for that matter) that can REALLY focus on moving subjects like any 1d or 1Ds-series bodies. Anyways, if you're happy now, there is still room to be even more happy.
01-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by sznajder Quote
Co
CaNikon people don't believe that. Do you buy Pentax because you really,really love this brand or we are cheaper then CaNikon folks? I do not know. I myself shoot Pentax k20d have many beautiful vivid images but lately start to think about further direction.
I have owned a Canon film SLR and dSLR system for quite a while, and bought a Pentax Kx to give the Pentax system a try.

Not sure what kind of photography you do, but to be honest, both systems work very well in mostly landscapes and family photography that I do. Each have of course their strengths and weaknesses -- but they both produce great pictures.

Perhaps it's newer and has more features, but I do enjoy using the Pentax more. The Kx just seems more sorted out than the Xti. I paid less for the Kx than I did when I bought the Xti. I mean, here we have an entry level camera with 22 custom functions! Quite amazing...I think fun-to-use is one of the intangibles that one cannot describe in specification tables. You can only get an idea once you pick it up, and start using the camera. And that's something the Kx provides in spades. Perhaps it isn't the fastest or quietest focusing camera out there, but it sure is darn fun to use.
01-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonlee Quote
Hey Josh. If memory serves, sounds like the 5D2 is serving you well. If you think the 5D can focus fast and accurately on moving subjects, just wait until you try a Canon (or Nikon for that matter) that can REALLY focus on moving subjects like any 1d or 1Ds-series bodies. Anyways, if you're happy now, there is still room to be even more happy.
Yeah, exactly. I know the 5DII is limited compared to the pro bodies, but it's doing great for me (using center point AF for tough focusing situations). Someday I think I'll get something like a 7D, or a 1DIII for better AF and the reach a crop (or semi-crop) body provides (I like to pretend to be a wildlife photographer once in a while). Seriously, I think Pentax is a great learning platform for milking maximum AF performance out of a system - after learning how to get the K20D to AF and not hunt, the 5DII is a breeze.

BTW, I've been impressed at the 5DII + 100-400mm f/5.6 + 1.4x TC (with taped pins) focusing very well and fast in EV 6/7 light.
01-24-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I believe Pentax started losing market share with K-7.

With K10D and K100 lineup especially with K10Ds Pentax started re-earning it's film-era reputation in the digital era. Actually Pentax created a legend and big excitement among DSLR users with flagship of K10D. Actually why most of us is here, existence of this forum, todays peoples opinions why I converted and purchased Pentax debates are all epended on Pentax huge success with K10D and K100Ds.

Then very reasonable upgrades came up like K20 and K200D, everything was settled, Pentax saga continued, people still had a faith about Pentax can create upgrades and will create legendary cameras like K10D again , not in K20D but it will be in the future cameras.

Then K-7 arrived with a lot of issues, first of all it wasn't a MP upgrade camera, don't underestimate this silly MP issue, try to think like a DSLR starter in the tech store, asking questions to store staff questions like, "Oh! how many pixels new Pentax K-7 has? How many is Canon Xsi?, and how much is the Pentax and Canon". These kind of questions are very important for the marketshare. These kind of possible newbies and convertees don't ask and most of them won't ask questions about IQ, like we talk here most of the time. Not to mention green line and zillions of firmware update issues.

They got the answers in the store from staff most likely as "Pentax didn't upgrade megapixels in their new camera, it's still 14.5 MP and with kit lens it's 1300 bucks, but Canon XSi or whatecer Xti has same or more megapixels and it's 700 buckswith kit lens".

What do you expect how a uninformed newbie will act like in the store? And how much marketshare gain would you expect from an upgrade camera which has no megapixel count upgrade also no IQ improvement over it's ancestor camera? I would expect None!

I's normal people selling their cameras for an upgrade or converting systems, but above story is my *biased guess* to answer your question, from my view. Photo world still waiting for a decent upgrade from Pentax, if it doesn't happen, what happens next? Nothing. We will be like scarce weirdos insists using a old-weird name brand. What happens to Pentax name if it fails badly with next camera? With 20+million sold lenses in history, Pentax will not and can not die. My worst case-scenerio is Pentax becames a Chinese brand, testere but not likely in the near future. I hope.

Last edited by cbaytan; 01-24-2010 at 01:07 AM.