Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2007, 12:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My new photography website

I saw Ben's website recently and got so excited to have my own one too. Since then, the site is ready.

I have put some of the photos into this new website and will add more as time goes on.

Though work has been so busy, I still managed to get these old photos out of hard drive. This has been fun over the last few weeks.

Hope you enjoy the site too

Half of the nature shots are taken by pentax gear and all the macro shots are taken by A*200 macro

James Wei :: Photography

Cheers

James

06-28-2007, 12:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats...

Very nice James..Fellicitations and Best Wishes.

Ben
06-28-2007, 01:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice! I enjoyed your new site. It looks good and navigation is extremely quick and easy. Top marks!

Mike
06-28-2007, 01:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice site; bookmarked.
Does "roentarre" mean something?

06-28-2007, 02:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Very nice James..Fellicitations and Best Wishes.

Ben
Thanks Ben. These images are nowhere near your level But photography is really fun. The site is still a bit prematurely furbished and I had to spend more time digging out the photos stored in my old external drives ...

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Very nice! I enjoyed your new site. It looks good and navigation is extremely quick and easy. Top marks!
Thanks!

This is to the credits of Mark Yarwood who designed the site for me.

Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by bc_the_path Quote
Very nice site; bookmarked.
Does "roentarre" mean something?
Thanks again.

Roentarre is a name of French noble in a science fiction novel whose downfall in military career and tragic loss of family + friends make him a hero. His character flaws being self centred, prudent and calculated thinking are something I adore...

James
06-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Took a quick look at your site (will be back later). Nice site and better photography. Good work.
06-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hey James, looks great

06-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, looks nice. I like theblack background - I always stuck to the black pages of my photo albums, they look sooooo much better than the crappy white ones.
06-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow !

Extremely nice :-)

Thanks for sharing James .

You do it yourself ??

I want that A* 200mm f4 macro ...LOL

Now what that " * " in " A " for ?? I haven't seen "A" lens with " * " before
06-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Took a quick look at your site (will be back later). Nice site and better photography. Good work.
QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
Hey James, looks great
Thanks both for visiting the site. I will be slowly adding more shots and updating shots as time goes on.
06-28-2007, 11:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Yeah, looks nice. I like theblack background - I always stuck to the black pages of my photo albums, they look sooooo much better than the crappy white ones.
Yeah, Benjikan said it before as well. Black colour brings out the wow factors for photographs that are so so in quality. A great way to display photographs
06-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

James, like your site a lot - and like the pix on display. Looks like you used Microsoft Visual Studio for the site, right? The whole thing? Does it provide javascript for the slide shows, too, or have you used something else there? I didn't take the time to try to figure it all out.

Hope it's not wrong to mention my own site, which like yours, is under construction.

William Porter Photography, Dallas, Texas - powered by SmugMug

I'm open to comments, if anybody wants to bother. "It's crap!" Or, "Awesome!" However it hits you.

After giving it a lot of thought, I decided to go with SmugMug as a platform. THey've got the photo-hosting thing really well sorted out. You have to buy a pro account to be able to customize, and all the customization (well, nearly all) is done with css, plus some javascript. So far, I've been using the tutorials that they provide to get started, but as soon as I have time, I'll be whipping out the ol' Eric Meyer books and getting creative. One advantage with SmugMug is that, with a pro account, I get the ability to set prices for prints, t-shirts, coffee cups and make some money from these sales myself.

Good luck to us both.

Will

PS I've still got my oldest stuff over at Flickr and more recent family/personal stuff at Picasa Web Albums.
07-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #13
Inactive Account

James,
Beautiful website...both the layout and the photographs. I like the clarity, simplicity and beauty of the front page. And, of course, your photographs are terrific. I will be visiting frequently to learn from your images. Best wishes.
07-16-2007, 05:35 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote

William Porter Photography, Dallas, Texas - powered by SmugMug

I'm open to comments, if anybody wants to bother. "It's crap!" Or, "Awesome!" However it hits you.

After giving it a lot of thought, I decided to go with SmugMug as a platform. THey've got the photo-hosting thing really well sorted out. You have to buy a pro account to be able to customize, and all the customization (well, nearly all) is done with css, plus some javascript. So far, I've been using the tutorials that they provide to get started, but as soon as I have time, I'll be whipping out the ol' Eric Meyer books and getting creative. One advantage with SmugMug is that, with a pro account, I get the ability to set prices for prints, t-shirts, coffee cups and make some money from these sales myself.

Good luck to us both.

Will

PS I've still got my oldest stuff over at Flickr and more recent family/personal stuff at Picasa Web Albums.
Will, I like what you have done with the Pro account at smugmug. I have the basic level, but I want to upgrade in the future. I will be curious about your experiences and hope you will share your thoughts in several months. I thought your swimming shots were terrific; I like the black and white. You and I both photograph a lot of school events and activities. We will have to compare notes at some point. Best wishes.

PS apologies for resurrecting an older thread, but I was away for several weeks and am just now catching up on some older threads.
07-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
Will, I like what you have done with the Pro account at smugmug. I have the basic level, but I want to upgrade in the future. I will be curious about your experiences and hope you will share your thoughts in several months. I thought your swimming shots were terrific; I like the black and white. You and I both photograph a lot of school events and activities. We will have to compare notes at some point. Best wishes.
Thanks for looking and for the feedback. I've still got a LOT to do with the site and hope to have some more time for it this week. I need to create a special gallery of my best shots for the slide show on the home page -- and they need to be the kind of shots that I am trying to get people to pay me for taking (portraits, event shots, etc.).

As a platform for a pro photographer's site, SmugMug has two advantages. First, it's customizable, not completely -- you cannot create your own html pages and upload them -- but you can do a lot. Second, they provide a slew of options for people who want to buy stuff, not just prints, but coffee cups, t-shirts, etc. And with a pro account, you can set your prices so that you get a cut of those sales.

SmugMug also has two disadvantages. The first disadvantage is directly related to the first advantage just mentioned. You can customize the site very extensively -- but you have to use a combination of CSS, javascript and some limited html to do it, mainly CSS. But you don't edit anything comprehensive like the site's basic css stylesheet; you only edit the styles for certain parts of certain pages. You can do quite a lot this way, but the whole thing gives me the feeling that I'm trying to play the piano with chopsticks.

The other problem is that the SmugMug servers seem to be slower than those at some other sites, including Flickr and Google's Picasa Web Albums. This problem comes and goes, but it comes often enough that it's making me a wee bit worried. It does help if you load low-res versions of your pictures, but then people can't enlarge them, so it's really difficult to figure out.

But I'm generally happy with SmugMug.

Will