Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Mixing Window Light with Flash — Making a Business Portrait

Next week, I'm going to do some portraits of the president of our company for his book cover. The guy is a computer programmer. His current portrait is rather bland, and I'm hoping to make him look more dynamic. I'm looking for some pointers from those who have done this a few more times than I.

I've been examining at our offices with a fresh eye, looking for locations.

Location 1 - An empty office. The room is long and not very wide, with north-facing windows at one end. My first thought: On-axis fill light! The room has horizontal blinds I can use to affect the amount of fill.

My question is: Where to put the key light?

I can clip a snooted flash to the suspended ceiling to make a dramatic key. Or I can use an umbrella at camera right for a softer modeling light and an "ultra clean" look. What else can I do in this room that might be appropriate?

Location 2 - An industrial-type hallway in the basement. I can light the subject from in front and behind. The front light could be a neutrally-coloured source, and the rear light a heavily-gelled (blue or red) bare bulb to make the hallway look dramatic.

Any suggestions are most welcome. What pitfalls might I expect in this situation? What tried-and-true methods have you used?

02-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Royal Quote
Next week, I'm going to do some portraits of the president of our company for his book cover. The guy is a computer programmer. His current portrait is rather bland, and I'm hoping to make him look more dynamic. I'm looking for some pointers from those who have done this a few more times than I.

I've been examining at our offices with a fresh eye, looking for locations.

Location 1 - An empty office. The room is long and not very wide, with north-facing windows at one end. My first thought: On-axis fill light! The room has horizontal blinds I can use to affect the amount of fill.

My question is: Where to put the key light?

I can clip a snooted flash to the suspended ceiling to make a dramatic key. Or I can use an umbrella at camera right for a softer modeling light and an "ultra clean" look. What else can I do in this room that might be appropriate?

Location 2 - An industrial-type hallway in the basement. I can light the subject from in front and behind. The front light could be a neutrally-coloured source, and the rear light a heavily-gelled (blue or red) bare bulb to make the hallway look dramatic.

Any suggestions are most welcome. What pitfalls might I expect in this situation? What tried-and-true methods have you used?
how about something like this but with some half open blinds in the background.
Strobist: On Assignment: John E. McIntyre
02-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks — I should have looked to Strobist first for inspiration.