Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #1

Need some help with a macro flower photography

Next week there is going to be an international orchid festival in Tokyo. It is going to be indoors. I'm wondering what I should bring with me in order to take some nice pictures. I'm going to be using my K20 and as far as macro lenses go I have a DFA 100 and I have a reverse ring adapter and a SMC-M 28 f2.8 and 50 f1.4. Can anyone else make some recommendations?

Also, should I be trying to take these photographs in available light? Should I try and purchase a flash (I don't own a flash but I've been meaning to get one)? What type of flash should I be looking at?

Also I realize a tripod would be very helpful, however, this is going to be a large event and I'm pretty sure thousands of people are going to be there. I don't think that a tripod would be very helpful/considerate with all the traffic the booths are going to have.

Go here if you care to see the 2009 Orchid Festival. This slide show plays automatically and you don't need to know Japanese to be able to look at it. If you take a look you might get a feel for what the show is like and might help with suggestions.
Internation Orchid Festival 2009
Looking at that slide show again, rather than macro lenses I may need something long to be able to get to the orchids.

Any suggestions or tips with shooting flowers in a controlled setting would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MrZeroPing; 02-05-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: My link showed up as a bunch of ? and numbers.
02-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums MrZeroPing.
In lieu of a tripod, you could try using a monopod.
02-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 100mm macro is ok but it may be a challenge to shoot the larger orchid sprays given the angle of view and the shooting distance to the flowers if there is a large crowd.
A 50mm macro can work as well. I would suggest shooting available light in RAW to counteract any indoor WB issues as it gives you the best options during post processing.
I used the FA 77mm at the Singapore Garden Festival awhile back (images in the links below).
If lighting is low, pushing the ISO and using a monopod would be workable.
I'd advise against using flash as you're never going to get the light to be soft enough and the risk of ugly shadows from is there.

ideastoprint: Flowers Galore
ideastoprint: Flowers Galore Part II