Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Grand Canyon suggestions?

In about a month I will be spending 2 sunrises and 2 sunsets at the south rim of the Canyon. I would appreciate any suggestions for must see (shoot) vistas. Many thanks...

02-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Desert View watchtower is has some wonderful vistas of the east end of the canyon and it is often far less crowded than the South Rim Village area.
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/desert-view.pdf
02-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there are a lot of different things to see.

You should consider Zion, Bryce and Glen canyons as well, and a stop at the north rim if time is permitting but 2 sunrises and sunsets makes this tough. I spent 10 days there a few years ago.

specifically at the south rim, you should if you are interested in wild life, try to get a shot of a free-flying condor. There are also some very interesting 1 hour naturalist discussions and presentations about the condor.

when I visited, (august) I saw 7-8 different condors. It is easy to identify, they all have fabric number disks clipped to the leading edge of the wing. It seems simple enough until you consider the size of the bird and realize these disks are the size of plates
02-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have the time and means, go for a Helicopter Tour. Did that several years ago and it was worth every penny. Unfortunately, all I had was a 1.6mp P&S, although it was state of the art at the time. Still got some great shots.
http://www.davereillysplace.com/cctrip/crosscountrytrip1998_172.jpg
Dave Reilly's Place --------- Welcome

02-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I mentioned these in another recent thread: North Rim, Little Colorado River canyon, Marble Canyon, Walnut Canyon, Jerome, Bryce, Zion, Cedar Breaks, Vermillion Cliffs, Hopi mesas, the hoodoos around Tuba City -- and the Meteor Crater and maybe Petrified Forest and yes, the Desert View tower and even Sedona. There's lots of great visuals between and around Flagstaff and St George.
02-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #6

Just an FYI - North Rim of Grand Canyon is hit and miss until May. Snow closes the road from Jacob's Lake to the North Rim. Visitor's Center is closed until May 15. One suggestion - Zion National. HIGHLY suggest taking east entrance to Zion. Stop at the parking lot before the tunnel, cross the road and take the Canyon Overlook Trail - it is about one mile - round trip. First part is all uphill - usually slick if there was snow. The view is beyond description and definitely worth a panorama or two of the entire Zion Park and canyon.
02-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I second RioRico's comments. I would suggest obtaining the Auto Club's 'Indian Country' map of the general area. So much to see there. Don't overlook Canyon de Chelly if you have time abd are traveling east. Ditto Northern Arizona Museum in Flagstaff and another one in Blanding Ut. (I have not been to this one).

Regarding Canyon flights, if it's windy I would suggest not to do it. It is really bumpy over the Canyon in wind. I have been over it in a single engine Cessna, a STOL twin turbo prop Beaver and a Lear. The Beaver was the best ride. It held about 9 people from memory. I have not done a helicopter at the GC but have elsewhere from Alaska to Kauai.

Southwestern Souvenirs Blog Archive Paula Baxter’s BlogThe Original Guide to Indian Country

02-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I second RioRico's comments. I would suggest obtaining the Auto Club's 'Indian Country' map of the general area. So much to see there. Don't overlook Canyon de Chelly if you have time abd are traveling east. Ditto Northern Arizona Museum in Flagstaff and another one in Blanding Ut. (I have not been to this one).

Regarding Canyon flights, if it's windy I would suggest not to do it. It is really bumpy over the Canyon in wind. I have been over it in a single engine Cessna, a STOL twin turbo prop Beaver and a Lear. The Beaver was the best ride. It held about 9 people from memory. I have not done a helicopter at the GC but have elsewhere from Alaska to Kauai.

Southwestern Souvenirs Blog Archive Paula Baxter’s BlogThe Original Guide to Indian Country
02-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Forum Member

For sunset, Lipan Point shooting to the East
For Sunrise, Mohave or Hopi Point or Hermits Rest shooting to the West. Getting there for sunrise may be problemmatic based on time of year as a shuttle bus is required.
Shoshone Point has a nice foreground subject (a jut of Kaibab Limestone sticking out) and has many fewer crowds because it requires a mile of easy walking through the forest.
The other S. Rim viewpoints are all terrific and have iconic views. Also, just walking along the rim will reveal nice and twisted juniper trees that can frame the shot.
Enjoy, the Grand Canyon is good for just looking and letting your mind wander.
02-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I was born and raised in Arizona, but have still never seen the Grand Canyon. (Ok I'm an idiot. ) Enjoy your trip!

If you have never seen it, the Sonoran desert in the southern part of the state is beautiful.

02-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well as you can see, I live here in "Aridzonia". However, I have only been up there a couple of times in the last 15 years - something I need to change.

Here is a process that I have used any number of times when I am visiting a local (especially a new city) that I want to take pictures of. I do a fair amount of business travel, and take a camera kit along most of the time, to take pictures after work - in the evening. So its dark, I want to get some shots and have no idea of where I am going or what may be interesting.

Google Earth - I have no idea if you have used this or not, but I will explain at least my process. You can down load it from here free...

Download it, start it up and then type "grand canyon" in to the box in the upper left hand corner. It then "flies" you to that location and zoomes in. As it zoomes in, picture icons appear that folks have posted. You can then click on the icons to see the picture. Now, folks generally locate the icons about where then took the picture, so now you can get an idea of what location gives you various views. So, you can start to get an idea of where you want to be, when, and what your results may be.

You can keep zooming in and more picture will appear. You can also go down to the lower left under "Layers", click on that tab and make sure that Panoramio is checked if you are not getting any picture icons. Also check roads, so that you can see how to get to the locations.

With only 2 days and 4 sun rise/set opportunities, this may be a way to maximize your take, with the results you may be looking for. Also, its a great way to get ideas for photos.

Also, the Flagstaff area has received over 100 inches of snow this year. So, there should be some snow on the ground up there. The most stunning images I have seen of the canyon is with snow across the various butts, so you may.

Also, to check out if there is snow on the ground, check here....

http://www.nps.gov/grca/photosmultimedia/webcam.htm
http://zeitcam.com/webcam/grandcanyon
http://www.explorethecanyon.com/grand-canyon-webcam/index.cfm
http://www.camvista.com/usa/arizona/webcams/grand-canyon.php

I see Pentax missed another marketing opportunity - notice the webcam says "by olympus"

Here are some additional items...

http://www.worldphotolocations.com/location_report.phtml?location_id=1085577608300
http://www.parkfilms.com/gcviewpoints.html
http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/np.grand-canyon.html
http://gcroa.org/Pages/photo%20article.htm
http://www.betterphoto.com/article.asp?ID=29
http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/photography/articles/47293.aspx
http://www.maverickairlines.com/photo_tips_airline.php
http://www.popphoto.com/Features/How-To/How-To-Photograph-The-Grand-Canyon
http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo62.php3
http://sevennaturalwonders.org/the-original/grand-canyon
http://www.crystalcanyons.net/Pages/TripReports/GrandCanyon.htm

Last edited by interested_observer; 02-14-2010 at 10:49 AM.
02-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
If you have never seen it, the Sonoran desert in the southern part of the state is beautiful.
The "sky islands" in the south are wondrous. I am, at this very moment, at the south end of the Mule Mtns just above Mexico, between the high Huachuca and Chiracahua Mtns. Fabulous stuff. I'm in Old Bisbee, a mining town with a big hole, steep canyons (1/3 of the houses here are on stairways, not streets), numerous artists, and stairclimb races. I just listed my historic refurbished 125-year-old adobe house for sale. Look up 39A SHEARER, BISBEE ARIZONA for particulars. Come anyway and bring cameras. I've spent years wandering the area day and night, grabbing unique shots. You can too. [ Toland Adobe - Bisbee, Arizona USA ]
02-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The "sky islands" in the south are wondrous. I am, at this very moment, at the south end of the Mule Mtns just above Mexico, between the high Huachuca and Chiracahua Mtns. Fabulous stuff. I'm in Old Bisbee, a mining town with a big hole, steep canyons (1/3 of the houses here are on stairways, not streets), numerous artists, and stairclimb races. I just listed my historic refurbished 125-year-old adobe house for sale. Look up 39A SHEARER, BISBEE ARIZONA for particulars. Come anyway and bring cameras. I've spent years wandering the area day and night, grabbing unique shots. You can too. [ Toland Adobe - Bisbee, Arizona USA ]
Yes Bisbee is a beautiful place as well. I love the desert southwest. It feels like home to me.

Are you close to the Bisbee-Douglas airport? My first cross country solo was from Tucson, to there.

Sorry to hijack the thread cdurfor. As you can see, there are just so many wonderful places to take pictures in Arizona, you are going to have to stay for more than 2 days. We insist! Maybe two weeks!? We haven't even talked about the high mountains of the northwest, or the stark desert of the west yet.
02-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Are you close to the Bisbee-Douglas airport?
I'm in the heart of Old Bisbee, a few steps from the Copper Queen and Main St. Walking to the Post Office may take 3 minutes or 3 hours, depending on who we stop to talk to. Old Bisbee is a WALKING town. Driving, it's about 10 minutes to Mexico, 20 minutes to the BD airport, 30 minutes to shopping in Sierra Vista outside Fort Huachuca. The Huachuca [Hwa-CHU-kaw]and Chiricahua [Chee-ree-COW-wah] mountains, and San Jose peak across the border, are dusted with snow now. Old Bisbee's Main St, looking more like old San Francisco than the Wild West, is swarming with Nikon-laden tourists, spandexed cyclists, Yoga Conventioneers, Canadian snowbirds, etc. Cameras poke through the wire fence around the Lavender Pit, trying to take in the immensity of the big hole. Pomegranites ripen on the hillsides; yada yada yada. I better stop now, grab the K20D, get out and SHOOT some more.
02-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cdurfor Quote
In about a month I will be spending 2 sunrises and 2 sunsets at the south rim of the Canyon. I would appreciate any suggestions for must see (shoot) vistas. Many thanks...

Grand Canyon may be my favorite place on the planet. If I lived in Flagstaff or even Phoenix, I'd be in the Canyon every month.

You said you're going to be "at" the South Rim. My first recommendation—one I make to everybody who's visiting the Canyon—is, don't just stay up on the rim. If you are at the South Rim near the El Tovar Hotel, by all means, walk down into the Canyon via the Bright Angel trail. The further you go, the more you will appreciate the canyon and the more you will see. However, even if you don't have the time (or the energy) to hike down very far, walk in as far as you can go. Even if you only hike in for thirty minutes, you will be grateful that you did.

If you are hoping to get sunrise or sunset photos, look again at the map of the canyon and start some planning. Since the canyon is oriented roughly east-west, and since the main South Rim viewing spot by the El Tovar is looking pretty much due north, you won't want to be THERE for a sunrise especially. If you can drive or take the shuttle all the way east to the Watchtower at Desert View, well, the Watchtower is worth visiting in its own right, but especially because it provides one of the best—indeed one of the very few—clear views eastward in the main part of the national park. Check out the East Rim and Desert View map on this page:

Grand Canyon National Park - Maps (U.S. National Park Service)

Perhaps even better, go to the S Kaibab trail head and hike down the trail. The problem is, you have to hike down a goodish ways before you come out of the side canyon and get a clear view to the east. So you'd have to start down really early and hike a long way in the dark. (It's been more than a year since we hiked down S Kaibab, so my memory here might be a little defective. On our more recent trip, due to the potentially dangerous weather we went down and came back up on the Bright Angel trail.) This photo was taken in 2008 when we hiked down the S Kaibab. This photo was taken about an hour down from the rim—maybe a mile or so down the trail. It doesn't look very far down but there are lots of steep switchbacks at the top of the S Kaibab. Here it's already past 9am and you can see the the sunlight is just touching the top of the rim.

Eventually though the S Kaibab opens out and goes along mountain ridges and I bet you can get a good sunrise shot somewhere along there. But you'll have to work for it! I've gotten up before dawn and tried to take sunrise photos down by the river, and I haven't been very successful. The bottom of the Grand Canyon is simply not the best place in the world to view a sunrise. Try the top of Rocky Mountain National Park instead - or come down to Big Bend National Park, where the sunrise over the desert will take your breath away.

I've always been at the canyon with my wife (that's here in the photo above), and while we do hike a lot, and she's pretty tolerant of my taking photographs, she's not keen on scrambling too far off the trails. SO my goal is usually just to take the best photos I can take personally. The harder trick at the Grand Canyon is to take a shot that hasn't been taken by a million other photographers. Hiking into the canyon even just a mile or two instantly puts you where more than half of the visitors to the canyon never go. And if you're really lucky, you'll have some unusual weather to deal with. Years ago I got lucky when we were camping at the north rim in August and I caught the canyon full of clouds. The more recent photo below was taken just before Christmas 2009, when we hiked down to Phantom Ranch (via Bright Angel Trail) in a cold and very messy snowstorm. This shot was taken just below the rim.

You'll want to think about your gear, by the way. If you are lucky and see a condor, you might want a long lens. I bought my Pentax 18-250 last December with just that possibility in mind. (I've photographed condors before at the canyon.) But this time we didn't see any condors, and I ended up taking nearly all of my photos with my Sigma 10-20. On our hike down, I decided to carry just one body and only 2 lenses, the Sigma 10-20 and the Pentax 70 f/2.4. I never used the Pentax 70 during the several days we were inside the canyon. The Pentax 16-45 f/4 would also be fine, and indeed, the kit 18-55 lens would work, too. And perhaps your vision is different from mine. At the canyon, I just feel the urge to go wide.

Will