Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2007, 01:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Photo Postings and CR on this forum

In honor of the other thread here discussing over focus on equpment rather than creativity and in the spirit of having a good discussion. I thought Id vent some thought on photo postings. This is meant to stirr up some discussion but not as an attack on anyone.

We have our own post your photos forum, which I think is great, you often see people on DPR (yes we all know the place) complaining about lack of picture threads because they get washed away with vpn posts or hoya posts etc. But here you can get exactly what you want, be it lens related discussion or picture postings etc, and that is one of the great things about this forum. If you ask me Id love to see everyone from not only DPR but also other pentax forums just join up here where things are more organized.

Ok, on to the issues, there are some seperate ones, the first one is that I like the picture posts on DPR better. why? because its more social over there. here its normally one person post 1 or more pictures and comments regarding those. But they are on to the great idea of themed picture post threads, such as "show me your dog pictures" or "your best picture taken with the kit lens" or etc. I also see this on other forums. This makes the picture threads longer and more interesting, you keep going back because new pictures are added and people discuss around a theme and you can see several peoples take on that theme.

I also think the level of the images are better on other forums, I dont know why since there are many posters here but thats how it is, well thats fine, we will catch up.

Now the comment about themed picture posts does fit into the current format, one thing that would perhaps require a bit different forumat is CR, picture critique.

Some people post bad photos, what I mean by bad photos is if a photo looks like something you could expect from your friend who has a p&s camera that he sometimes uses if he goes on a trip to snap some random shots.

A photo that is bad in terms of technical achievement (eg blown highlights, to harsh light, missed focus), BUT had a purpose, is something that you should post for CR. Meaning, you wanted to take a picture of the beautiful rose in your garden, you wanted to emphasize the saturated red color of the fresh flower but your shot didnt turn out the way you wanted and you want to know how it could have been better.

Its hard to CR a photo if its just a snapshot, if you look at it and you dont know what the purpose of the picture is.

However, sometimes you want to post a picture that is just a snapshot, just to show something, to share some story, the picture is related to your story. and posting pictures shouldnt be discouraged.

Ok let me get to some points here>
1. People shouldnt be discouraged to post pictures
2. You feel (at least I do) that you dont want to be too harsh on someone unless they really asked for it (by saying "please dont hold back and tell me what u really think of this shot")

Maybe there should be a subforum for real CR and the main one can be more for fun. OR maybe a standard of including CR: in the topic if you really want some CR. So if you just want to share some snaps then you can without having any negative CR.

And maybe this article should be a sticky for all people who want CR, along the lines of "before you ask for CR, do a self diagnosis of your shot after reading this article" The Art of Subtraction

feel free to flame and/or discuss

07-03-2007, 02:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This has been discussed before and a photo critic forum idea has been rejected by Mo already. The gallery has already been subdivided into so many topics and people are welcomed to provide critics to these sub galleries.

The posting a photo forum is designed for CR and that is all to it.

This is jus the pleasant nature of this forum to avoid harsh comments; Many fora on line do more honest and perhaps more critical comments to photo posters: To learn more about photography can be done in various fora while this pentax forum is more equipment oriented.

Photo critics have various standards and personal preferences do vary as well. Sometimes some people criticise for the sake of criticising and sometimes cat fights do happen.

I think it is better to leave things as they are and time will mature the posting a pic section. (I think the standard in post a pic section is quite high already )
07-03-2007, 03:19 AM   #3
and
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
ops I didnt know it had been suggested before.

The CR question is an old debate Im sure, but its not always easy knowing what to do, should u really CR or just make some general comment about the shot instead of focusing on how good a photograph it is.
07-03-2007, 04:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's always good to get site suggestions and ways it can improve but in this case, I'd agree that the forum should pretty much stay as is, for picture posts. I think many of the shots posted will compare favourably with any I've seen on other sites. The quality will continue to improve. Look at the winners in the past few Weekly Challenges. Very good stuff. Plus if this site looks the same as other sites then why have a different site anyway? Mo has made many changes and upgrades and I'm sure he's nowhere near finished tweaking.

I like the much more friendly atmosphere that for the most part appears here. We need to encourage everyone to post questions and pictures because there are shooters with 30+ years experience and others with 30 minutes experience. I'm sure we'd all agree that it's important to help new users understand equipment and photography technique. I know I've learned more here than anywhere else, since joining. Many of us learned on a K1000 (me) or a Spotmatic and those were simpler days in many ways. A K100D or particularly a K10D is loaded with features that is daunting to learn for a new user.

I stopped posting a couple of other forums because of the rude and "I'm smarter than you and I will tell you how smart I am by flaming your post" that seemed to pervade many threads and photo critiques. There's lots of "newbies" that don't post but read everything to try and learn. I seems to me that it's important we try to remember that when comments are posted to pictures or questions. That's not to say anyone should hold back, it's how we all learn. IMHO it’s a huge help to everyone when someone posts a shot and a critique comes back to say,’ nice shot but did you notice the tree in the background sticking out of her head?’ The day you stop learning to take a better image, is the day you should sell your gear.

Along the lines of photo technique, I’d suggest a look at the following site. They critique submissions in a video format and it’s a great tool to understand the elements of a shot and how to improve it.

The Radiant Vista