Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2007, 03:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I was put on steriods a year ago due to an neurological disorder.... now I am in a major depression from them. I would like to hear some stories from others on how photography helped you through some tough times. thanks

Many have their burdens to bear, Randy. In my case, a leg injury a few years ago left me unable to walk great distances or carry heavy loads without experiencing considerable pain. This was a major blow (very depressing) since I've always enjoyed walking to remote locations (in town, cities, the country, or wherever) seeking the unusual to photograph, obviously with a heavy camera bag on my shoulder and often tripod in hand.

After months of limited freedom, photographing within those limits, I hit upon the idea of a small motorscooter. Now, it's not uncommon to see me zipping around town or the countryside on that scooter with oversized camera bag strapped to the back, tripod strapped to the handlebars, and a smile on my face. It's now fun again to get to those out of the way locations.

You too will soon get past your depression. Perhaps trying something new is your solution as well. Not necessarily a scooter, but something. In the meantime, hang in there until that comes along.

stewart

07-06-2007, 04:23 AM   #17

Oh Randy, I'm so sorry this is hitting you now. You've received some great messages that selfishly I'm benefiting from also. I lost my father a week ago Monday and it rocked my whole world into shades of mostly black. I wouldn't even walk into our bird room where the parrots, who are the love of my life reside. I certainly have not picked up a camera - in fact went so far so to work up an add for Ebay to sell my camera figuring - I'll never do better than be a point and shooter any way. (I came to life long enough not to actually post it!) Please keep in mind that when the depression is speaking to you, it rarely gives good advise.

All my heart felt best wishes and thoughts for you as you fight your way out of this. I've planned for days to use my favorite hobby, photography, for relief. My aunt lives in Kansas City and we need to take her home tomorrow. Husband and I are going to go to the Plaza and shoot the buildings and fountains. There is no doubt in my mind I'll love every minute of it once I'm there. I know what kinds of subjects entrance me and this should do the trick. Do you have a favorite photography "subject"? Grab the camera and force yourself to go there!

All my best,

Debbie
07-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I was put on steriods a year ago due to an neurological disorder.... now I am in a major depression from them.

I would like to hear some stories from others on how photography helped you through some tough times

thanks

randy
Hi Randy. Sorry to hear of your problem. I've suffered from depression off and on for years. Sometimes it's been so bad that in the words of a friend "suicide would be a step up...at least I would be doing something" Mr. Hyde pretty much described my reactions to depression...basically a black hole where all energy and emotion disappears.
When in deep depression I try to practice "move a muscle, change a thought" and get out and do something...anything. One of the more effective things I've found is writing, primarily I think because it takes so little preparation, just a pen and a pad of paper. It really doesn't matter what I write; journaling, poetry, short stories, letters, the point is to get away from the nihilism for a bit. Another thing that is effective for me is walking, just get out and walk. I'd like to say I bring my camera, but I consider just getting out and about as a big enough victory. The point is to use "simple stuff for a complicated disease". Sometimes that's all I can manage to do. Good luck, and let us know how you make out. We do care.

NaCl(do NOT listen to early Leonard Cohen songs tho)H2O