Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA, eBay, and bidding habit

I started bidding on eBay in 2009 for Pentax lenses after I bought my camera. Since then I have started scouring eBay for lenses. I often bid on lenses that I don't want/need or are more expensive than I should buy because I know that they will sell for more $.

Just bidding on the items is exciting. Once I make it to a winning bid, I spend some time watching and hoping that someone else is crazier than I am and willing to pay more.

Just this weekend I managed to purchase a K55 1.8 and a 40mmLTD. I don't really need either lens because I already have a 50mm A 1.4, but I'll be interested to find out how they work.

Fortunately, I can afford these purchases for now.

Do I need to block eBay from my internets?

03-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hell, as long as you can afford it, keep going! It's a nice rush to buy, and it's always nice when unneeded lenses end up for sale here Keep the ebay tubes flowing on your internets. It's a better vice than drinking or gambling!
03-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for putting it like that. It isn't my worst vice.
03-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I often bid on lenses I don't need (or want) but I always put in a low one.
If I lose (usually) then no worries but if I win then it normally get used for a few months then sold back on Ebay for a healthy profit.

03-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's nothing to worry about.

Tell yourself it's not really LBA, not really.
Tell yourself you can quit any time you want.
Tell yourself you almost have enough, now.
Tell yourself you can afford just one more.
And one after that, and another, and...

Tell yourself your family should learn to live on less.
Tell yourself you were all eating too much anyway.
Tell yourself they don't really need new clothes.
Tell yourself you have everything under control.
Tell yourself you're just going through a phase.

"Everybody calls me Cleopatra
Because I am de queen of denial..."
03-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

if you never sell anything you're going to have a problem! hmmm, that's my problem (not that I'm into LBA... just other things!)
03-02-2010, 03:05 AM   #7

dragonfly, was it you that nailed the da40 ltd for under $300 a few days ago?

I don't know how I missed that one, I try to scour daily. It really gets tedious with so many zoom lenses listed, and then the junk sellers classifiying their extension tubes and "close up filters" as both new and used lenses.

03-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will admit to enjoying the rush of Ebay, but I've almost given up on Pentax lenses there. Ever since the last price increases, the bidding has been furious. As many times as not, the lenses are bid above their price at any camera store for used items, and the camera stores usually test them and take the items back if they don't work. Not all Ebay sellers do so.

These things seem to ebb and flow. Six months from now, it may be all better.
03-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
dragonfly, was it you that nailed the da40 ltd for under $300 a few days ago?
I did. I paid 288 which I think is a good deal. I was the only bidder. I'm looking forward to getting it.
03-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
graphicgr8s

You don't have LBA. You are a collector as am I. I collect tools, cameras, lenses, model trains and if my wife would let me cars and women.
03-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I did. I paid 288 which I think is a good deal. I was the only bidder. I'm looking forward to getting it.
great news ... scouring well rewarded then
03-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
You don't have LBA. You are a collector as am I. I collect tools, cameras, lenses, model trains and if my wife would let me cars and women.
Quit hanging out with Tyger!
03-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I would like to thank all of you compulsive bidders out there for driving up the bids on items that you don't really want. Way to go.
03-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
I would like to thank all of you compulsive bidders out there for driving up the bids on items that you don't really want. Way to go.
If I've set my price point on something, and I go US$5 over, and I stop, and the next bid for ONE DOLLAR MORE wins, have I driven up the price? I'm like that at in-person Injun Stuff auctions, too. A nice Acoma olla or Zuni fetish or small Navaho weaving or Miwok basket is up, and I've already exceeded my limit, and I quit -- does the winner accuse me of price-inflation? Hey, the auctioneer loves me, but I'd have rather gone home with the prize than with a fatter wallet. But I also can't go home totally broke. The REALLY compulsive bidder usually wins. I have to reign-in my compulsion. Without a bit of self-control, I'd have to poach deer to stay fed.
03-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote

I only go after lenses I'm interested in and have a list of lenses that I keep info. I used to stalk the Auto-Tak 85mm and S-M-C Tak f1.8 (different optically) but punted and got the FA 77mm since the prices have gone up on the various 85mm models of the Tak. I still have the Auto-Tak on the list but I'm not going to force it. I am actually good to go except for a couple of s-m-c lens and have no intention of forcing it. I will at some point be paring down some of my duplicates later this year. For example I have a 55D and 55DD 500mm mirror and one of those I'm going to sell. I also have a 52B and 52BB. I'll divest one of those as well.