Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok so I'm retooling for another trip. Defiantly going to want a blind this time.

Big question though...site selection...pro's, how do you do it?

I know the habitat of what I want to see. I know I can use aerial photos to find approximate locations. Do you go for public lands? Long hikes away from roads? This is the most frustrating part for me.

03-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
Ok so I'm retooling for another trip. Defiantly going to want a blind this time.

Big question though...site selection...pro's, how do you do it?

I know the habitat of what I want to see. I know I can use aerial photos to find approximate locations. Do you go for public lands? Long hikes away from roads? This is the most frustrating part for me.
That's a tough question - it depends. If I have put aside a fair bit of time to take a trip somewhere I've never been, I'll not spend any less than 1-2 days scouting the area. That's so I can reconnoiter the area and getting a feel for the habits of animals. Normally a good portion of this is from a distance of any possible subjects and with binos while in a vehicle.

Morning isn't the only time - sometimes you can use the evening hours to your advantage - especially in hotter climates. While on a scouting trip one evening, this was taken at 500mm, no cropping (yes that close!) while in a vehicle in the Rio Grande Valley area:

I'm not always online, but I'll do my best to answer questions.

Regards,
Marc
03-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
yeah especially a photographer laden with his kit that is good advise, also to consider wind direction, you are most likely to be startelled by something up wind, animals have on average better sence of smell than most lab gas analyzers. They will smell you a long way off if you are upwind of them.

As Lowell indicated, knowing prevailing and current wind directions never hurts. It's also to your advantage to be downwind and know where the subject is!!

Case in point: one time I popped out (accidentally) behind a Nilgai with a 20mph wind at my back - I didn't know it was there. The Nilgai was a good 100+ feet away, but within 5-10 seconds it whipped it's head around, spotted me and was gone.
03-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm thinking this might be my next location

ODFW Visitor's Guide - Jewell Meadows Wildlife Area

would it be improper to setup a blind in this type of location? Having never been there, i'm not sure what its like but there seems to be ample wildlife and minimal people.

03-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
That's a tough question - it depends. If I have put aside a fair bit of time to take a trip somewhere I've never been, I'll not spend any less than 1-2 days scouting the area. That's so I can reconnoiter the area and getting a feel for the habits of animals. Normally a good portion of this is from a distance of any possible subjects and with binos while in a vehicle.

Morning isn't the only time - sometimes you can use the evening hours to your advantage - especially in hotter climates. While on a scouting trip one evening, this was taken at 500mm, no cropping (yes that close!) while in a vehicle in the Rio Grande Valley area:

I'm not always online, but I'll do my best to answer questions.

Regards,
Marc
thats pretty incredible being that close!

For me being a college student and parent to a young child, its hard for me to get many days to devote to scouting. It really does make a lot of sense and in perfect world thats what I'd do.

I guess for me the ideal situation would to go somewhere often enough to get a very good feel for it. Its hard to be eager in something that requires so much patience and experience.
03-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

James, your last line (both sentences) speak volumes.
03-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok I think i've got my spot...

45.819503,-123.527595

park somewhere near there, hike up to the eastern edge of that larger clearing and setup a blind.

Winds in this region are generally west to east so I should be OK there, also in the morning hours light will illuminate that clearing.

As for my electronic call, where would be a good placement? In the clearing or in the forested area near me?

03-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

45.819503,-123.527595

park somewhere near there, hike up to the eastern edge of that larger clearing and setup a blind.

Winds in this region are generally west to east so I should be OK there, also in the morning hours light will illuminate that clearing.

As for my electronic call, where would be a good placement? In the clearing or in the forested area near me?
Took a peak on the Google Maps so I see what you are considering.

Regarding that clearing: so long as you're not on an obvious trail of any kind, keep the blind against the edge of the forest, not projecting out. Hopefully a good spot with a nice FOV will be there. I am not sure if you would have better luck with the call out in the field or near the edge - depends on habits of the fauna.

What's typical of human activity in the area? Fairly light? I noticed Boom Lake a bit further to the north, so I was curious if it's not used, etc. Depending on your target, early AM can be excellent for fauna drinking behavior.

One suggestion if you plan to get in early: buy a Streamlight or similar LED pen flashlight (red or green LED) so if needed, it doesn't affect your night vision. Very handy for setups, etc. in the dark.
03-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies mark, you're one of the most visible pentax wildlife photographers on here

Human activity is pretty minimal. During my search i found a lot of "clatsop state forest lags behind other state forests for recreation" type articles. That lake is one of 4 hiking trails in the whole state forest and I don't think its used that much. Major highway is US 26 (major meaning one lane in each direction) which is 1 mile away and populations are very small in that area (none of those cities I've ever really heard of). The above are the reasons I looked to the west side (I live in portland, OR) instead of the east where I was previously. Coast range is less inhabited and logging is on the decline.

My concern though is the name of that road. Found a timber sale document about quartz creek and the road is called the "quartz creek mainline" so i'm concerned that A) logging nearby will affect animal populations and b) the road will be closed to the public. I think I'll need to call the ranger district tomorrow to see what they know. That clearing is a fairly recent clearcut judging by the logs laying down and the height of the greenery but the land is somewhat flat so i'm thinking grasses and shrubs should be there. The aerial photo reveals roads around it so its likely a clearcut in the past few years.

This site is an hour and a half or so away from my house so not that far. Could be a good "regular spot" if it all pans out.
03-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the replies mark, you're one of the most visible pentax wildlife photographers on here

No worries - glad to help. Good ideas you brought up. Keep us posted!

Regards,
Marc
03-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

45.819503,-123.527595

Put the speaker in front of you as far as you can, assuming the wind is blowing in your face.
03-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My initial reaction to this statement was a quiet chuckle, until I read "on here..."

As you know in many instances being visible to wildlife can be a hindrance...
03-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
My initial reaction to this statement was a quiet chuckle, until I read "on here..."

As you know in many instances being visible to wildlife can be a hindrance...
its why Liberace didn't make it past his probationary period at National Geographic
03-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

its why Liberace didn't make it past his probationary period at National Geographic
Oh my...

Any ideas why?? Maybe they quickly tired of his "brilliance"...
03-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Jim,

I normally shoot much smaller stuff than you are after so my glass is correspondingly longer.

But given what you want to capture and your gear I would seriously consider setting up an over night blind and just staying there and observe and listen. This would give you a chance to learn the rhythm of the place and the comings and goings of the creatures. Also it would give the wildlife a chance to adjust to your presence.

A great deal of what wildlife reacts to is not just seeing you but seeing you for the first time- what is this new object in my habitat, it a danger or not? You'd be surprised how close they can get without bolting once you are accepted. After all those animals have been using that feed trail for years and know instinctively when something is different or new. It alerts them to danger.

Also I can't think of anything that will spook a creature more than unnatural sudden movement. Be slow, deliberate and smooth when moving about.

It takes time and a lot of patience.

Good luck.

These are a few of my large animal shots. I don't have many and they are mostly the result of dumb luck rather than skill.

Last edited by wildman; 03-16-2010 at 09:49 PM.