Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Prokudin-Gorskii, really neat gallery of pre-Soviet Russia I stumbled across

I ran across this doing a search for something unrelated and just thought it was amazing. Great photos taken in color using glass plates pretty amazing how he did this if you ask me.

07-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #2

It looks as if the images have been "tarted up" a bit, but there's no doubting the the quality of the artist and his work.
07-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

tarted up how?

His run to the cyan a bit, but by and large they all have that odd look to them or look like one of the colors just didn't expose like the others.

Some other examples.

Online Exhibition - Bound for Glory: America in Color, 1939-1943 (Library of Congress Exhibition)

World War One Color Photos - Color Photos from World War I
07-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The difference as I see it is that Prokudin-Gorskii used glass plates with red, green and blue filters instead of film. He then used a projector to show the photos.
I think the result is amazing when you think how and when it was done.
More info here. Digichromatography: Restoring Prokudin-Gorskii's Photographs

Cheers

Eddie

07-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
tarted up how?
The original glass plates are mostly in quite poor condition.

In the link that Eddie has provided the author clearly indicates that.

Therefore a considerable amount of enhancement has been undertaken to provide us with a better understanding of just how much this brilliant man was able to produce with such primitive technology.
07-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The technique of using three B&W images through color filters has been around for many years in the archive trade. I remember reading about using this technique in the Time/Life series on photography printed in the late 60's early 70's. The chapter/article (can't remember which) showed the camera and technique - I think it was being done by the Kodak museum, the NYC Public Library or the Library of Congress.

Many early color negatives and slides were preserved using this technique - in fact there was an article on how to copy your Kodachrome slides using this technique in either Popular Photography or Modern Photography. You used a slide duplicator, a flash and three filters, all of which were readily available.

Prokudin-Gorshii's images are pretty cool though - sort of a bayer filter on steroids.

PDL