Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
RAW and PS7

This might have been posted somewhere already, but when I searched "Raw" I didn't come up with much.

I attempted shooting RAW last weekend and I was not impressed with the workflow afterwards. I installed the SilkyPix converter that came with the camera. The window didn't even open to full screen, which was the first downfall. i also didn't find it user friendly, besides the fact that it took so long to process the pics.

I use PS7 for PPing. I have heard mixed opinions on whether or not ACR works with PS7 and if so, is it compatible with the K100?

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? If I need to download another converter, I prefer it be a free one.

If it doesn't work, I'm sticking with shooting .JPG.

07-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #2

Assuming your refering to Photoshop 7, it is not ACR compatible. IIRC it was only available in the CS versions and in particular ACR 4.1 was just recently updated to handle the PEF format.

There are several other programs for processing raw files. Lightroom by Adobe and Aperture by Apple are the big brand names. That also feature photo organization and management.

There are many others available.
07-09-2007, 02:55 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it wouldn't work with PS7. I have Photoshop CS and I don't think there is RAW plugin for Pentax K100D's Pef files either. But I'm still shooting RAW. It's bit cumbersome, but worth it, to convert them in Sylkipx and than work with TIFFs in CS. If I could I would buy CS or 3 and get the RAW plugin, for because of money: not quite yet
07-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Here are two free converters, and I use them both for various reasons: XnView and RAW Therapee.

07-10-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

CS2's (and so obviously CS3's) Camera RAW can do K100d and K10d PEF files. Since CS3 is out now, you maybe able to get CS2 for cheap. You can alway try to get the student edition for cheaper rates as well?

And Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 does 90% of what CS2 does in my opinion and it's also capatible with the Pentax RAW files.