Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll throw and idea out there and see who would like to help

Since I'm in Canada and have a fairly crappy scanner as well, maybe someone would like to volunteer a few hours to put something together.

Hillerby has been posting about his Vietnam photography during the war. I recently found out he has the negatives but doesn't have a good scanner to copy them.

So I was wondering if someone with a good scanner that can do negatives would be interested in restoring these (actually a selection of them, not all) and send the scans back to him on a disk. NO PS work, just good copies of the negatives. It should be someone in the USA I think.

Anyone interested? I think it's a great project and not only useful historically but interesting as a Pentax project as well.

The thread he's been running is here.

03-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
ok, I will put my hand up.

... if you can't get some help a bit closer, I might be able to help. I am in Australia, but when you think about it, it's only a flight away, and with 'tracking' on registered mail, you would be very unlucky for the parcel to get lost. I have a pro 35mm slide scanner, (3600dpi+) depends on what you want the images for. I would do a bit of correction & dust removal as well, just like to see a neat job!
03-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Just a thought, these images have historical importance. Hillerby might find a local veterans organisation that might help.
Another alternative would be to contact the local newspaper. I'm sure they would be interested in running a story and a local photographic business might offer to do them for free.
03-08-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robanstan_AU Quote
... if you can't get some help a bit closer, I might be able to help. I am in Australia, but when you think about it, it's only a flight away, and with 'tracking' on registered mail, you would be very unlucky for the parcel to get lost. I have a pro 35mm slide scanner, (3600dpi+) depends on what you want the images for. I would do a bit of correction & dust removal as well, just like to see a neat job!
Tracking with registered mail works like this. It's scanned just before it enters the plane and it's scanned just after it has left the plane. In between there is nothing. I have family that is already waiting for over 5 years now for a registered mail with photos. Post office here states that it has left the country (ZA) but Dutch post says that it never entered NL; it probably fell out of the plane (although I think it never entered the plane).

I visited that family a while ago and made copies that I hand delivered. So I no longer use the local post office for anything of importance (either into this country or leaving this country) if it can be prevented.
Now my hope is on courier services and UPS managed to loose my parcel with two katzeye screens about a week ago It arrived in Germany but never left the country. Still under investigation so there is hope.

Sorry, but you were a bit too optimistic with regards to tracking. If it disappears, it disappears and will possibly never be found back.

03-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hrm. I'm sure someone out there has a scanner that works, but if not, my duping-with-K20d setup is nearly complete: I just need to get off the fence about a light source and assemble the baseboard. It's getting warm enough for me to do the woodworking. I'll know soon how good/efficient this setup is. Very likely I'd be much slower than someone who just has a scanner, though.
03-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Hillerby never asked me to post this but reading his posts and seeing that he has the negatives, I just thought if someone had the time and gear, it would be interesting to see these restored.

I think for a number of reasons, it should be domestic. Time and loss being a couple reasons. Who knows what a customs official might do with shots taken during a war if they happened to spot them.

I think a scanner would be much faster and easier although I have copied stuff using a light table and a macro setup. it works well and actually gives excellent results if the negatives are flat. But it's slow.
03-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
pbo
Veteran Member

I have an Epson 4490 that I use to scan my film stuff, and I can find some time to help out. It's been sitting by my desk without anything to scan for a while anyway, and it should do better than what his current one does...
03-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
pbo, I'll get in touch with him and see if he'd want to send you a selection of negatives to scan. thanks.

03-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
pbo
Veteran Member

yeah, sure, no problem
03-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Took a quick look at them. Not negatives, transparencies, and the highlights are gone on some. A good scan will get you better resolution, grain, overall color, but it won't bring back those details any more than if you had clipped them in a digital camera. Don't know how many he has, but I could probably find the time to do a couple dozen before I had to start billing . PM me for my info if he's up for it.
03-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My nephew is librarian ( and in charge of archives etc ) at the University in Charlottetown, he's the kind of guy who would know who could do it properly, and if the photographer is local to the Maritimes maybe the pictures would have some importance there?

I can send him an email if you'd like ?
03-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Lloydy, Hillerby is in Texas and I think the negatives should stay inside the lower 48 states just to help avoid any loss crossing borders.

I've PM's Hillerby already on this idea.
03-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #13
graphicgr8s

Peter, personally with the prospect of historical significance/value it might behoove him to invest in a scanner. I don't scan film but for reflective art Epson is great. Expect to spend about a grand for it. At least that's what ours cost.
03-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
The reeason I posted this was Hillerby doesn't have the money to do this right now and after having his home flooded recently I expect he has bigger things to worry about. So I thought this might be a good way to go. We'll see
03-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #15
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The reeason I posted this was Hillerby doesn't have the money to do this right now and after having his home flooded recently I expect he has bigger things to worry about. So I thought this might be a good way to go. We'll see
I can relate to the flooding. 3 times. Didn't know about his though. Seems me and him are in the same line of work.

Bob hope all works out for you.

George
Closed Thread