Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Guys,

Thanks for al the responses and advice, I really appreciate it. I'll see if I can convince the misses to let me make the splurge. Like any other grown man, I clearly don't wear the pants in my family. Thanks again for all your help and hopefully I'll be writing again soon with questions about my new toy!

Thanks!

07-11-2007, 08:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I'd say Buy now ... but with the K100D Super model about to be released ... I'd say wait just a little bit for it ... it may be worth it.

MRRiley ... just letting you know .... even for me as a beginner ... i find the front dial on the K10D to be rather handy indeed ... and very easy to use as well.

Ohhhh I agree... that dial and the weather sealing is why I will be buying a K10D soon... After 30 years shooting 35mm with minimally automatic cameras I miss the control that front dial provides.

Mike
07-13-2007, 01:55 AM   #18

i'm also in the same boat as what to buy a month or so from now... i've still to settle the last payment needed for the appliance i purchased months ago...

is it really worth to wait the K100D Super or just buy the K100D in time when my daughter turns 7 this coming Sept. 17?

can you please enlighten me on this?

thanks in advance!
07-13-2007, 03:49 AM   #19

Given the situations that You described, I'd probably go for a (now quite often discounted) K100D. K100D Super will have a few bells and whistles more than K100D, but You probably will not miss them when You get used to the K100D (I know I probably would not). The learning curve on this camera is very steep (i.e. You get arround to undertand everything pretty quick, with some background knowledge).

Regards,
Bostjan

07-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
The learning curve on this camera (K100D) is very steep (i.e. You get arround to undertand everything pretty quick, with some background knowledge).
Not really harder to learn than any other camera. ISO, aperture, shutter :-) The rest is just method.
07-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Bostjan Quote
Given the situations that You described, I'd probably go for a (now quite often discounted) K100D. K100D Super will have a few bells and whistles more than K100D, but You probably will not miss them when You get used to the K100D (I know I probably would not). The learning curve on this camera is very steep (i.e. You get arround to undertand everything pretty quick, with some background knowledge).

Regards,
Bostjan
Thanks for the kind words!

But it is not much sweeter to have an ISO 100 on the K100D Super than the standard minimum ISO 200 of the K100D?

And also the added feature of having a dust removal?
07-15-2007, 11:10 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by praxxis Quote
Thanks for the kind words!

But it is not much sweeter to have an ISO 100 on the K100D Super than the standard minimum ISO 200 of the K100D?

And also the added feature of having a dust removal?

ISO100 could be a possible candidate for a new model
But, I personally would not fall for the dust removal system, especially if You don't plan to change the lenses constantly and in a dusty environment. It is not so hard to remove the dust from the sensor manually (using the handheld blower, the kind that Giotto is selling - or simmilar). I had a few dust particles on my sensor, but they were only visible when I was shooting very bright and even colored images, using f16 and more - and I have sucessfully cleaned them with the blower.

Bostjan

07-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Remains to be seen if it matters. The K100D has so little noise at ISO 200 that I doubt 100 will make a noticeable difference.

Will
07-16-2007, 01:21 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Bostjan Quote
ISO100 could be a possible candidate for a new model
But, I personally would not fall for the dust removal system, especially if You don't plan to change the lenses constantly and in a dusty environment. It is not so hard to remove the dust from the sensor manually (using the handheld blower, the kind that Giotto is selling - or simmilar). I had a few dust particles on my sensor, but they were only visible when I was shooting very bright and even colored images, using f16 and more - and I have sucessfully cleaned them with the blower.

Bostjan
It was also mentioned by a friend who owns a K10D that the dust removal is not that accurate. But rather a battery consuming features.

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Remains to be seen if it matters. The K100D has so little noise at ISO 200 that I doubt 100 will make a noticeable difference.

Will
Thanks for the heads-up Will. We'll I guess I'd rather wait for the release of K100D Super thus making the K100D much more cheaper and eventually get that one.

Totie
07-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #25
axl
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads-up Will. We'll I guess I'd rather wait for the release of K100D Super thus making the K100D much more cheaper and eventually get that one.
Totie
Good idea,
K100D is fantastic camera, and fully fit for your purposes, whatever they are, I think. I've had mine for 10 months now. Never regreted buying it. Dust problem? get blower. SDM lenses? they cost more then K100D ever has had. ISO 100, ok, it's bit advantage, but 200 works perfectly fine. Plus it's well built, and is's 6mpx is certainly more than enough for nice pics...
go for it, but you'll have to be quick, I can see K100D getting out of shelves in big sale just before K100D Super will arrive, so be carefull...
07-18-2007, 02:31 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Good idea,
K100D is fantastic camera, and fully fit for your purposes, whatever they are, I think. I've had mine for 10 months now. Never regreted buying it. Dust problem? get blower. SDM lenses? they cost more then K100D ever has had. ISO 100, ok, it's bit advantage, but 200 works perfectly fine. Plus it's well built, and is's 6mpx is certainly more than enough for nice pics...
go for it, but you'll have to be quick, I can see K100D getting out of shelves in big sale just before K100D Super will arrive, so be carefull...
Thanks for your insights! Greatly appreciated!

But I've to still wait for a month (settle first that last payment of my credit card purchase) for a possible purchase. But nevertheless, I'm really bent on getting the K100D as my first DSLR.

Totie