Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Wait or buy?

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a few weeks and I finally thought I'd chime in and say hello. I wanted your guys' opinion on something. I know that many camera manufacturers do theit new product announcements in the early to late fall so that their new cameras are available for Christmas. Does anyone here (maybe ben) know for sure when pentax's new SLR is coming? Here's my situation. My wife and I are expecting our first baby (yay!) on November 24th and I have the money for the K10D now, but probably won't once the baby shows up due to the costs that come with a newborn. We're also buying our first house right now and close in a month. I want to have an SLR for baby pictures because I'm currently using a Canon 800is elph that's ok for a pocket camera, but not reliably sharp for these precious once in a lifetime baby shots. But I don't want to buy a K10D and then have Pentax's new SLR come out 2 months later either! What would you due, buy now or wait for a while to see if any new product announcements are around the corner? Are there any photo-shows in the fall that they make annoucements at? Nothing was said at PMA on a new model. I know it's a subjective question, but I'd appreciate your 2 cents!

Thanks!

07-08-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ofcourse you are the only one knows what is best for you .

IMHO , You should take these into your decision :

1. How are you with a SLR camera ( film /or digital ) ? There is some learning period to get those precious moments .

2. I don't think anybody knows for sure when the new camera come out . Even if they have it for sale , it might not be "in stock " . A new camera always come with bugs !

Good luck and congrats on the new baby .
07-09-2007, 12:25 AM   #3

You know what they say about 20/20 hindsight :P

Don't be a worryworm about what comes out next. Just use what is at hand, and you will adapt to it!
07-09-2007, 01:43 AM   #4

It's usually better to buy now than wait. The sooner you get a camera, the sooner you'll be able to play with it, and the better and more comfortable you'll be with it when you 'need' it. And it's been said before, elsewhere, by others: a new camera will not make an older camera (here the K10D) a worse one.

The only time I would advocate waiting is a situation where you don't think you'll be able to use it straight away, or if there's a particular feature you're not sure whether you want to compromise over (5fps? ISO3200?).

Otherwise, buy now, and don't regret.

07-09-2007, 02:07 AM   #5
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with guys before me. It's better to buy now...
Even if you'll wait, there will be something new coming out soon (maybe not in 2 months but in 6). And it's true, the more time you spend with your dslr, the more you know about it and it's easier to use etc etc...
K10D goes for a good price now, at least here in London, so I wouldn't really wait. Especialy if you don't know what the next model will be like, and you may end up waiting in vain...
07-09-2007, 02:49 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I have to go along with all the others here. Right now there is only speculation on new cameras coming out. With what you say in your post, and the reasons for getting one now out weigh the option of waiting for any new cameras to come out . The K10 is a fantastic camera and right now the price is coming down (slowly) but no one knows what is going to happen down the road. You alone know what your finances are. If you have the money now but because of later developments you might not then by all means get the camera now and start to learn so you'll be able to get those precious baby shots, and all the shots you will want as the baby grows up. Remember too that you might need to get away for a while and nothing goes better with a walk about then a Pentax K10D
07-09-2007, 06:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Remember too that you might need to get away for a while and nothing goes better with a walk about then a Pentax K10D
Ok...that's funny! If you have the money now and you need a camera, buy a K10D. I seriously doubt that you'll ever regret it. It's a camera that's more than capable of handling any task you throw at it, from baby pics to fashion shoots in Paris. And for less money than you'd spend for a comparable camera from Nikon or Canon. What more could you want?
07-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The other thing is, when it's released, you'll have to pay MSRP for it ($1K) and it'll be hard to find for a month or two. The old one has been dropping in price and you can get it for $820 w/ kit lens relatively easily nowadays.

With the price difference, you can find a Fuji F31/F30 which are far better indoor P&S cameras than that Canon you have...

p.s., you'll also have to budget for a K10D flash...it just works a lot better in getting good photos than the built-in flash...

07-09-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Consider buying the K100D now, and then upgrading it sooner than you would have the K10D. The K100D isn't as slick as the K10D, but will do very well for what you want (in fact, given the 6MP vs. 10MP sensor, perhaps even a little better). There's always something new, and your camera will always be obsolete very shortly after you've bought it.

Additionally, with the price difference, you can buy a better lens, which is really the important thing. The kit lens is decent, but you're going to want something faster for those baby shots. (For around $300, I'd suggest the 35mm f/2, as discussed in a lot of other recent threads. This makes a good "normal" lens that's appropriate for a lot of shots.)
07-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #10

I would get it now.. there will always be new things on its way....
07-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #11

I agree with Mattdm, I pickup the DS when it came out and haven't look back since. However in the next couple of months when funds are right, I will pickup the K10D.
Since I have the DS, I have pickup some great lens as I felt this was the best way for me to go. I did notice here in Sydney AUS, the K100 with a lens is selling for under $aud700 which is some $400 to $600 less than the K10D. I can understand the situtation you are when buying your first home and having a baby on the way. Money will be short for sometime after this.
07-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
Forum Member

A few months ago when I decided it was time to upgrade to a DSLR, I researched and narrowed my choices down to the K10D or the Olympus E-510. The Oly was not yet available. Each had different pros and cons but ultimately either one would fit my needs. The Oly originally was my first choice, but the more I researched the better the K10D looked. So rather than wait a few more months for the Oly, I bought the K10D. Now I have over a thousand pictures I shot with the K10D that I would have missed if I'd waited for the Oly.

My recommendation is to buy now, and use the time to learn how to use all the features to your satisfaction so you won't miss a shot on baby-day.
07-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Beach Camera has the K100D with kit lens for $419 after rebate.
Pentax K100D Digital SLR Body with 18-55mm Lens Kit.
You could get a AF360FGZ flash, memory card and some rechargeable AA's as well and maybe have some $$ left over.
07-10-2007, 06:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I would wait ONE whole month and buy the K100D Super. It is designed to use the new USM lenses (assuming you can afford or want to buy them). I don't know what the price will be yet but it will be much cheaper than a K10D.

As others have said, the K100D (Super or not) will probably be a better camera for your purpose. The 6MP sensor is better in low light and the Super is only lacking 2 things that the K10D has that I want personally, weather sealing and a front dial. Neither is probably essential for your needs.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-10-2007 at 01:24 PM.
07-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd say Buy now ... but with the K100D Super model about to be released ... I'd say wait just a little bit for it ... it may be worth it.

MRRiley ... just letting you know .... even for me as a beginner ... i find the front dial on the K10D to be rather handy indeed ... and very easy to use as well.