Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2007, 02:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
seeking assistance

I have tried to clean the glass/plastic above the mirror without success, I know it dosen't really effect the photo's, its just annoying seeing the hairs when you look through the view finder. I have tried a rocket blower without success.

It looks like it can come out, so I would like to remove it and clean it.

I also think I can get a another piece that has grids.

Sorry as I'm not sure what you call this piece.

thanks in advance

07-10-2007, 02:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You are refering to the "focus screen".

You can indeed get other screen which have either grids, split-prisms, micro-prisms, or some combination of the three. Do a searh on "Katz-Eye" or "chinese" and you will find lots of posts here regarding the replacement screens.

If you have dust above the screen, you can undo the little latch that holds the screen in place, lower it, and clean it with a rocket blower. The screen is very susceptible to scratching, so exercise extreme caution in handling and cleaning it.

A speck of dust which looks as big as a bug through the viewfinder will be almost invisible to the naked eye when you have the screen out. A loupe may be helpful for finding and removing specks of dust.
07-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The dust is trapped between the focus screen and the prism. Just pop off the screen and blow off the dust will do. DON"T ever try to wipe/rub it with anything or you will be buying a new one.
07-10-2007, 06:46 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, I went to a couple of camera stores here in Sydney without luck, two of them directed me to the local distributor. Went there and bought a new screen LF-60 AF Framed Matte for istD series. There is also LL-60 AF Divided Matte and LI-60 AF Scaled Matte. I will ask my wife to change the screens as I have also scratch the one in the DS, as she has gentle hands.
I understand that the same type screens are different for the K10D, same letters the number is 80.

07-11-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There should be a tiny tab on the screen, if it is like the one I put in my K100D. Handle the screen only by that tab; don't touch it with anything else, including fingers. You may also wish to fold a lens cleaning tissue and place it over the mirror during the procedure, just in case.