Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2008, 05:11 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
... Ahhh, those sort of photos, eh??

"Photographs, eh? He asks him, knowingly. Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, say no more..."

01-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amateur6 Quote

"Photographs, eh? He asks him, knowingly. Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, say no more..."
Ha ha ha!!!
01-21-2008, 01:39 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I usually just do it in PS. I add a duplicate layer then add a guassian blur filter really high to throw it way out of focus, then drop the opacity to where you like it, usually around 20% or so. I haven't tried the in camera conversions, I'll have to see how well they do, but I still think that adding it later is better because I usually sharpen the picture first, then add the soft focus.
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I shouldn't think that it would matter (considering the "aperture" set-up of a lensbaby) except that it's a heck of a lot easier to swap a K mount on & off than it is a screw-mount... In my experience, anyhow.
Yes, this is what I was thinking too, I just thought it odd that they'd offer the Lensbabies with both Pentax mounts.

Mike

01-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been thinking at length about this, and from the gallery photos I've seen, and visiting the Lensbabies forum, I prefer the almost surrealistic look of the original Lensbaby.

The one thing I don't like, is the fact that you have to hold the lens in position during exposure, as I take a lot of long exposures. Then, I got to thinking that perhaps a Lensbaby 3G with a 37mm Tiffen Soft-FX filter might give a nice look.

I have to think a bit more on this.

Mike
01-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #36
Forum Member

If you go to the Lensbaby website and to the "training centre" link there is a forum there. You could try asking if anyone has tried the 3G with a soft focus filter.
01-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CJCram Quote
If you go to the Lensbaby website and to the "training centre" link there is a forum there. You could try asking if anyone has tried the 3G with a soft focus filter.
Good idea, CJ.

Mike

01-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In my continuing quest for a softer world, I came across these two filters:
1.) Schneider | 58 mm White Frost 1 Water White Glass | 68086358

2.) Schneider | 58 mm Classic Soft 1 Water White Glass | 68084358

Click on both features and specifications.

Their descriptions sound like they could apply to some other soft-focus filters, like Carl Zeiss Softars.

I've never even heard of them.

Has anyone here ever used either one of them?

Mike
01-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
Yes, this is what I was thinking too, I just thought it odd that they'd offer the Lensbabies with both Pentax mounts.
Well, surely there are SOME people out there still using screwmount cameras...
01-22-2008, 12:17 AM   #40

Well, surely there are SOME people out there still using screwmount cameras...
Yes, only a couple of months back I dusted off the ol' ZENIT. It's like a family relative (ie: I'm fond of it, but I don't mind not seeing it for years at a time!!)
01-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bought a Lensbaby 3G.

I did a lot of thinking, and knew that I needed its locking ability for the longer exposures I do.

The money came from my DA-70mm fund, but I prefer soft-focus portraits to those that are tack-sharp. I also liked the food shots at the Lensbabies site.

I'll post some test shots as soon as I have them, but it won't be tonight.

Did I do something in a past life to deserve this LBA?

Mike
02-01-2008, 05:28 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Mike, I go for photoshop. Using the glass filters is like a nuisance for me now (with all the ND, polarisers of all different sizes).

As your have demonstrated, photoshop has so many types of filters that allow us to create the effect we all desire based on our preference.

p.s. Sure this thread is going to irritate the "natural" people that only want "natural" photos coming from a "natural" sensor.
02-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #43
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJCram View Post
Good idea, CJ.
LOL, sorry! At the time I replied to your post I was really sick with a throat infection and hopped up on codeine (along with a lot of other OTC drugs) plus I hadn't slept in 3 days. Usually I do actually read the posts I respond to...
02-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
p.s. Sure this thread is going to irritate the "natural" people that only want "natural" photos coming from a "natural" sensor.
Not at all, roentarre.
I'm glad this thread has the number of people interested that it does, and that there are differing opinions. The more discussion this thread sparks, the better.

Hey, this thread made me go out and buy a lens!

Thanks again, CJ.

I may have some Lensbaby shots to post over the weekend.

Mike
02-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Anybody here from the 'old school'?

You can cobble up just about any kind of soft filter you need with a cheap UV filter and some petroleum jelly. An old portrait pro taught me that trick ages ago.
IIRC, Milton Greene used this technique in making some of his portraits of Marilyn Monroe.