Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #1

Trip to Istanbul

Hello fellow Pentaxians,
I am going to Istanbul next weekend for a few days and wondered if anyone has any advice - about the dos and don'ts as well any special photography advice i.e. any special places you suggest I shoot.
I will post a few of the shots when I get back.
Thanks

03-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
take a fisheye or wideangel lens with you, if you got one
i think you will not need longer lenses
a small tripod or beanbag will be nice to have too

i can highly recommand the small Lonely Planet guidebook
we found it much better than the other guidebook i had with me

sorry it is the spanish video, but you will get the guidebooks in english. oh, i took the istanbul-clip ;-)
03-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I guess gear-wise it always depends on whether you're there for primarily for photography as such or whether you're just travelling and want some snaps. Obviously a wide or normal angle would be pretty useful amongst the crowds, but I don't see any point in not taking a tele lens. It gives you another option for subject isolation wide angles often can't do.

Anyway you didn't really ask about gear but about places to go. Haven't been there so I can't really help there much. All I can say is I've seen a lot of great photos from Turkey. Oh and one other thing, research is a great idea (like you're doing), but I'd expand beyond the guide books too. Check out travellers' thoughts and check out 'alternative' things to visit on the net. I found that really useful recently in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The most amazing place I went to - Stung Meanchey dump - wasn't mentioned in any guide book I read.
03-29-2010, 06:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys,
I am very interested in history and have been wanting to go to Istanbul for a long time. So this trip is very much to sightsee and photography will be a part of the trip. I thought about taking my DA 18-250 but given that we will be seeing a lot of places indoors, I think I'll take the 18-50 and 50-150, both Sigma, f2.8 lenses. I also think I should take a monopod. I have a DA 12-24 as well but am thinking of leaving it at home.
Regarding further advice, what I wanted to know was if there are any places, tucked away and not in the guidebooks, that may be of interest.
Thanks.

03-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #5

go to the asian side as well
you can take the regular ferryboat, to get there
it is less touristik there

and try this restaurant there
Çiya Kebap Lahmacun - A Garden of Lost Cultures and Forgotten Tastes...
this was one the best food we had within a week

the museum of modern art - great place to have lunch or a drink just next to the waterside

for the evening we prefered to go new city center - Karaköy
in the small steets just next to the big shopping street named "Istiklal Caddesi"
there you gone find lots of young fashion people, great drinks, clubs and restaurants in the evening / night
03-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Naim Khan Quote
I have a DA 12-24 as well but am thinking of leaving it at home.
i would take it with me
i liked to take a lot of fotos inside of buildings at low light situations
aya sofia, blue mosque, the palace (do not miss the harem), the markets - this is all inside very, very beautiful

i am not shure if it will be allowed to take a monopod inside the historical buildings
we haven't seen anybody with those
maybe a small beanbag will be better

oh, don't miss the fish-boats next to the galata bridge and the main busstop
at early evening there is a lot of people, great fotoscene and the fish-on-hand ist nice too
03-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Istanbul is huge and full of stuff. You could easily spend your entire few days there without ever leaving the 'Old Town,' but there's just as much to see in other areas of the city. I would recommend that you buy a good guide book and decide what attractions sound most appealing to you. And definitely buy a good, detailed city map.

Never take the taxis; they're theiving bastards and they will screw you over.

03-30-2010, 01:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

One of my favorite cities. Take whichever lenses you want, I cant say one will be any more useful than the other. Teles certainly would have their place in Istanbul, it is a very large city with lots of large, open expanses of space in which teles could come in handy. The last 2 times I was in Istanbul, I took my 18-250 and my 17-50 Tamrons and both were superb performers. If you are there for 2-3 days, you should be able to see plenty, not just the big 4 (Aghia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi and the the Grand Bazaar.) Go over to the Theodosian walls (Walls of Constantinople - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), spend an evening strolling around the pedestrian areas of Taksim, enjoy the nargile at the indoor/outdoor cafes around Tophane and otherwise explore this fantastic city.

Enjoy!

Jason
03-30-2010, 04:12 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Travel light. My experience after a lot of travels there is, that a lot of walking is required if you have to see and feel all the treasures there. One or two fast lenses are OK. Don't forget to visit "Cistern Vasilika" and use the rails as a tripod. Some videos from inside with the excellent music background shall be great. The equipment best suited my last visit was K-7/FA31/DA14 (for interior shots in Agyia Sophia, mosques etc) and a Sigma DP1. In some places photos are not allowed, be careful. Enjoy !
03-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all for your advice. The places you have mentioned are all on my itinerary except for the restaurant that iFoto has mentioned - I'll certainly try and give it a go.
iFoto, unfortunately I am not of the age to enjoy clubbing any more - in my time we used to go to discos . Also I don't drink and additionally I'll also have my family so it will be quiet evenings rather than raising hell!!
Spazmatazz, I'll certainly remember your advice about taxis although I am afraid I'll have to get one to get to the hotel from the airport - I am arriving near midnight.
Jasvox, I'll be staying off Taksim so will hoepfully enjoy that area as well.
Cheers.
03-31-2010, 06:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd bring the 12-24mm as well.
Also, try and see the underground Basilica Cistern as well.
And, for spotting dolphins on the bosporus, a long lens my be convinient.

For travelling light, I'd bring a 18-250mm and a 12-24mm.

Have fun there, there is lots to see, eat, experience in Istanbul.

- Ber
04-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
wow. that's good place, haven't been there before, looking forward to go there sometimes