Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Do you ever get burnt out?

I was just wondering if any of you folk ever get burnt out from photography and 'hang your boots up', so to speak, for an indefinite period..

We all go through phases & different hobbies through life, although I do wonder is photography one of those things you just keep doing until you are at a ripe old age.

03-31-2010, 02:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yeah alot of hobbys come and go, but i beleive photography is a hobby that can last a life time. And i plan on shooting in old age.
03-31-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think it depends on circumstance and timing. While people have always wanted to capture their lives and events, "amateur photographer" ebs and flows. Photography was very popular in the 80s, when I picked up my first camera. I think the following slowed down a bit in the 90s and then caught on again with digital.

Another reason people drop a hobby is due to boredom. Good photography can be very challenging and there are many different forms of it. There is more than enough to keep one interested through to a ripe old age, but not everyone is interested in taking on some of those challenges.

If someone is losing interest, they should try picking up a photography book rather than a digital photography book. I picked up a old copy of "Photography School" by Freeman for $2 a while back and it is as relevant today as the day it was written. Anyone can take a picture, but taking a good picture on a regular basis takes some knowledge and is not easy. Hopefully I'll have learned a bit more by the time I'm old (er)
03-31-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hope my energy for photography will diminish a bit in the near future--too much to handle. But it definitely is here to stay.

03-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have experienced some burnout but it has been related more to other things than photography but it has affected it. There was a period in the film days when I just plain couldn't afford to shoot much and photography became vacation or special event pastime. I wanted to shoot but couldn't afford to and my hobby kind of dried up for a few years. I do go through seasonal slumps at times where I just don't feel like shooting anything like now, in mud season.
03-31-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to think that I went through times of burn-out, but in retrospect, I came to see that what was really happening was that my creative side started using other outlets and that caused my photography to take a backseat. Now, I realize that once my fascination for my latest hobby begins to ebb, my photography will pick up again.
03-31-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ebbs and flows, not exactly burnouts. I was a working photographer with my own darkroom; and then I relocated, had no darkroom, was otherwise occupied, and so shot less; and then digital imaging became possible, and I shot more. With each new camera and new location, there's a period of feverish exploration, then a period of "been there done that" and tapering off, and obsessing with something else for awhile, but always having a camera with me. And then some circumstance triggers photo-fever again, and more obsession. I'm in a position where I can obsess about whatever I have the tools for, and I possess many creative tools. Or maybe they possess me. Whatever.

03-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Like others have said, it's an ebb and flow for me. I started with film 12 years ago, at age 12. When I couldn't afford to buy film and pay for processing, it fell to the wayside.

Then I got a digital point and shoot. I only used that regularly for a few months, and then would only take it out if I had something specific to take pictures of.

Since I got a DSLR it's been more steady, because it's so easy to experiment with different techniques, lenses, or processing. I've still lost interest a few times, usually when I start working more, or focus on one style and lose interest in it.

Lately, Ive hardly used my DSLRs, but I've rekindled my love for film, and have started testing out different films. It's really sparked my interest to see how various films end up "showing" various scenes. The waiting for processing may be excrutiating, but it's also kind of fun.

So, in summation, if you switch things up, I think photography can be entertaining and interesting for a lifetime.
03-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah! Photography is for life! it's like looking at stuff, you never stop looking. We as human beings like to explore and look at stuff. We also like to share! The more photos you collect, the more you want to shoot! Maybe someday, when we grow old. We show the young people, you see... we had bugs back then. Or we played guitars back then... or.... people wore clothes like this back then....
03-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

when my passion starts to wane.. i buy a new lens, that normally rekindles the fire

happened twice in the past 4 years.. bought the FA77mm then the DA35mm! that fixed me up real good.
03-31-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

agree with some of the others: ebbs and flows. Mostly not related to my actual passion or motivation for photography, but usually monetary or lifestyle choices that make it more difficult.

For example: I was working part-time for my city's newspaper as a photographer for 3 years, was developing 3-5 rolls of film a week, scanning, doing the captions etc... Lots of work, very rewarding seeing it in print the next morning.
Then I got a better paying full time job, and it turned into a night shift job for 5 years, and that seriously put a crimp in the time I had for photography. Though getting out of work at 5:30 am was awesome for running up to the top of the mountain and catching the sunrise, so I got lucky there a few times. But shooting rolls and rolls of slide film is expensive, even when buying and bulk-loading your own. A baby came along and that killed most of the extra funds I had for that. (Thank goodness for digital!)
Last year I had a good year, won 1st and 3rd prize in calendar contest which really lit a fire under my ass. Then I was in a small show and had a temporary exhibit in the local historical society museum. Then my "day job" work picked up and I was doing a ton of OT, which helps fund my addictions and all but takes me out of the actual process of shooting for a while.

Now my day job work has slowed down to a normal pace again and my motivation has shot up again.
So it's never really a decision I have much control over.
03-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Every hobby i had prior to photography cost me money, $s after $s. This is the first one that ever more than paid for itself... i won't be getting tired of it in the for-see-able future
03-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I get burnt out in other areas of life, which sends me to my camera to shoot. Something about taking pictures invigorates me, restores me to vitality.

However. there was 1 moment when I thought I could not take another picture. I had just hiked Lake Placid/High Peaks & several areas in central & western Vermont for 7 straight days, while camping out in October, & was making the long ride home. The weather was perfect, though cool of course, and the foliage Godlike, never mind "peak." I was up every morning of those 7 days, before the sun, and hiked and shot like I would die any minute until sunset & beyond, knowing full well perfect conditions for an adventure like this may not happen again. I put over a thousand miles in driving as well that week and, on the way home, I remember thinking I could not take another shot, hike another peak, or rise from my tent on another 20 degree morning if someone paid me. But I made it home, got a good night's sleep, and was planning the next trip when I awoke.
03-31-2010, 11:38 PM   #14
Forum Member

Absolutely.

There are times when I really only see photography as capturing something that's already created-merely a representation of what's already there created from a finely tuned machine.

I often feel like it doesn't contribute much to my "artistic" side, especially subject matter. It's one of my biggest hobbies and I struggle with it almost weekly!

It begs the question: are we really artists if we're taking pictures of what's already there?
04-01-2010, 03:48 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I remember thinking I could not take another shot, hike another peak, or rise from my tent on another 20 degree morning if someone paid me. But I made it home, got a good night's sleep, and was planning the next trip when I awoke.
I'm sure a lot of us have felt this. You have to pull the camera away from your eye at some point. I've felt this many times before.. well, maybe not the hiking part.. or the tent pitching part. As a street shooter, putting down the camera at the end of the day is almost joy. You can finally witness life as it walks.

Not being able to afford your hobby does not count as burning out. But, I appreciate the replies and feel for you guys that strictly shoot film.