Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #1

i got offer a gig

A friend of mine ask have a friend who wanted me to take some picture of sport equipment. What kind of studio stuff I need for this? This is my first gig :-D. So far I don't even have a ext flash yet.

I was thinking of getting some light setup and may be a backdrop..

He wanted to pay me 150 for 6 hours.. (he was paying a guy 100 per hour but he was pro but he didn't like him).. and as the first payment he said I can get equipment less than 1K and he'll pay for it.

07-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Depends on the exact nature of the sports equipment and what kind of pictures he wants.

Action shots?

People modeling the equipment?

The equipment against a bare white background? (eBay-auction-style)

If equipment against a bare white background, there are quite a lot of instructions for DIY product photography studios out there. For smaller stuff, I've actually gotten good results from my old camera using a cardboard box lined with white card stock with a bunch of Sylvania CF bulbs from Sams' Club lighting the insides of the box. (white card stock = good WB reference. You WILL need a WB reference when using the cheaper CFs, while most of them don't seem to have the classic greenish cast of fluorescents any more, they are color balanced to match tungsten and not daylight.)
07-15-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyeros Quote

He wanted to pay me 150 for 6 hours.. (he was paying a guy 100 per hour but he was pro but he didn't like him).. and as the first payment he said I can get equipment less than 1K and he'll pay for it.
I'd want a mutual understanding on what happens to the equipment if he fires you like he did the pro.
07-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
Mostly I'll be shooting equipment stuff and some will be with people. It's for a website. Basically if the first payment is the equipment, so we already agree that if it doesn't work out I'll still keep the equipment. I'll meet him probably this coming weekend to check out what I have to do and see if I want to do it or not (I have to drive 1.5 hours, he offer to come and pick up but I rather just drive there and hang out with my friends too ..etc).

Thanks for the suggestion on the lighting setup. I'll keep that in mind and once I see the place and the stuff I'll take some sample pictures and then see what I got to work with.

Any other suggestion would be great. I'm excited and yet scare! hehe

07-15-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Make sure you or "the guy" gets model releases for all people in the shot if the images will be published for commercial purposes. Frankly, from what you say, I am a bit leary of the whole thing. He buys equipment, and if he doesnt like your work, "fires" you and you get the equipment? He would be stupid to agree to that. When you hire a "professional" the pro will arrange for lighting (and nearly everything else that is not provided) and bill the client accordingly. If the guy buys and keeps lighting equipment for (possibly) various photographers to use, it may be cheaper in the long run, as he could sell it eventually.
07-16-2007, 01:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The guy sounds flaky, so please have something stronger than just a common-sense assumption about what becomes of the lighting equipment if he fires you.

It doesn't make sense that he's going to fire a pro at $100/hr who had his own equipment and if left to do his job professionally (as a "pro" should be) should certainly be able to do it in less time, and then hire an amateur at somewhere between $150 and $1150. Greater expense, taking more time, and with no assurance of the outcome?

I know it must be terribly flattering to be offered a paying gig, but take a step back and realize that this sounds like a horribly flaky guy, who is likely temperamental as hell to work with/for. Don't just go on the assumption that the lighting gear is yours to keep.
07-17-2007, 03:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for your help =). He's my friend's sister bf. I'll visit my friend and stop by and we'll talk about all it... we'll see where this is going heh.

09-17-2007, 12:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Bump.

Just curious what became of this.
09-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hey guys, I haven't been back in a while. Been busy with work. Regarding this. The guy backed out. He didn't want to do it.. Didn't even tell me. First he ask me to sent him an email and then he didn't even response.. talk to my friend and my friend was like yeah, he's like that..any when I get some free time I'll post some new pictures =).
09-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Just like I thought....flaky.

Glad to hear that you didn't lose any money, time, or effort on the deal. I imagine it was irritating enough without that too.
09-25-2007, 06:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

On the positive side...

We've all learnt that it is GOOD to bounce ideas off the forum members and,

What it takes, the next time an offer like this comes up for any of us.

Glad you weren't bitten.
09-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And of course, the importance of asking the prospective customer pertinent questions, looking for details that might raise alarm. In this case, the lack of solid information being offered was a good indicator.

Next time have him sign a contract, with a clause saying if he breaks the deal, you get paid a 25% of job cost as a cancellation fee
10-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #13

Original Poster
Hehehe thanks guys, this is why I love this forum so much =)