Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
Keebler

advice for shooting a horse (with a camera)?

Hi folks,

I offered to snap some pics of a friends horse at her land - she knows i'm a complete amateur, but still, I'd like to do the best I can with my knowledge.

The situation: her horse is coming home for the first time after being at a farm. She lives on a large chunk of land so lots of space for the horse. The only problem is that it will be high noon and it's looking to be sunny although I may have some clouds to diffuse that bright light. I tried to see if she could do it tomorrow morning, but her schedule is tight so it has to be done today. She did say that I could come at any other time later, but today is important b/c she says he always prances around when he comes home for the first time (I guess he's excited to be back home)

Any suggestions would be great.

I have the following:
K7 (bringing my tripod and remote shutter)
kits lens:
DA 18-55
DA 70-300
I just bought the DA 14mm.

Shots I plan to take:
- from the horses' side - standing still and galloping

- I thought about getting up on the fence as high as possible (maybe 4 feet?) and snapping some at head level (i'm only 5'2" so I need all the vertical help I can get

- I have this vision of snapping a shot up close and personal with the 14mm of the horse nose and head - as close as I can with the horse feeling comfortable and not wanting to lick my lens. For some reason, I thought it would be neat to get a head shot portrait?

- a shot with my friend standing beside the horse - hopefully I can get this candidly b/c this is the first time she's bringing him home after the winter (he was at another farm earlier). ie. hopefully she's stroking his nose or petting his side type of shot

- I thought about getting as low as I can, but I don't know if that type of shot will work with horses? maybe make them look larger than life?

- some scenery shots b/c she lives on a nice chunk of land - lots of trees their house is gorgeous

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Keeble

04-01-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
graphicgr8s

I shoot my neighbor's horses every so often when she's giving lessons. Never found a tripod to be of much use. Too much, too fast. I'm usually shooting in bursts as they're jumping. I'd use the 70-300 so I can be a little further away from the horse.
04-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since you have the K-7 you have the option to crop your shots within reason and not loose detail. When shooting in a stable I was limited in terms of space of how far back I could be and still get some shots. With your situation you should have plenty of room to work with. As far as the low angle shot goes, I would wait and see how the horse reacts to people being low around it's legs before trying anything. Good luck!

04-01-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Draw an imaginary line from the left ear to the right eye, and from the right ear to the left eye. Where those lines intersect is where you want to aim.

Oh, wait, with a camera? Never really considered it.

04-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

- If it's a dark bay then open up a stop, if a light grey then underexpose by a similar amount. If the rider is on it then get them to wear similar coloured cloths to the horse.

- If the horse is being ridden then you are better off with a longer lens.

- Horses can be very easily lost in the background so make sure they contrast well with whatever you are shooting them against.

- If it bolts and you find it charging straight at you then stand your ground, they normally veer off.

-If you are picturing them jumping then track them through the lens and shoot on take off. I often find pre focussing on the jump creates a sharper picture than relying on the camera to keep up.

- Be careful what you tread in!

- I doubt that you will have time to take that many photo's as there will be an awful lot of time spent with the horse at the wrong end of the field or too close.
04-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When doing a standing pose with rider (or even no rider), have someone snap their fingers, raise their hand, or whistle to get the horse's ears up.

I remember from way back that there were a few rules about doing "portraits" of horses. And with full body, you were supposed to have the horse standing so a front leg and the opposing rear leg are a little forward. Like, all 4 legs shouldn't be planted on the same planes.

Don't really understand why. Might have something to do with being more pleasing like this, or maybe it flexes some muscles.
04-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Keebler

thanks everyone!

I managed to get some decent shots. I'll post after PP.

It was really neat b/c the male horse was coming home for the first time and I got some great nose kissing shots when his girlfriend was allowed back on his side.

Cheers,
Keebler

04-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #8

i think shoot some B&W or some close up of the eyes is good.
04-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would definitely use a CP on your photos to help keep the sky somewhat at bay. Also, using a fast shutter speed is going to be a must so you might have to bump up your ISO and use a low f stop as well.

Cory
04-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Keebler Quote
- I thought about getting up on the fence as high as possible (maybe 4 feet?) and snapping some at head level (i'm only 5'2" so I need all the vertical help I can get

- some scenery shots b/c she lives on a nice chunk of land - lots of trees their house is gorgeous

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Keeble
If you want more height (like an aerial shot), you can mount the camera on the tripod then set it on timer and hold the tripod as high as possible on its legs with your outstretched arms until the camera clicks.
It would be hard to keep it very stable but if you can get the speed up then it shouldn't be a problem.
Just don't drop it though!
04-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It'll be good to see what you came up with. I have never had the challenge of getting horse and rider, but you got some good advice above, so I'm sure you did fine.

But here's a curious fellow I bumped into.

friendly horse

04-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It'll be good to see what you came up with. I have never had the challenge of getting horse and rider, but you got some good advice above, so I'm sure you did fine.

But here's a curious fellow I bumped into.

friendly horse

You did well to get the sky and keep the colours of the horse (by the looks of it the sun was more or less over your left shoulder which was ideal). One of the reasons why I'm so keen on Pentax is the colour rendition.

BTW If you want to try some action shots of a horse PM me as the youngest is often jumping and we're not a million miles away. These were taken near Pallas Green on a ist. (forgive me if I've posted this link before)

Last edited by justinr; 04-14-2010 at 01:03 PM.
04-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
You did well to get the sky and keep the colours of the horse (by the looks of it the sun was more or less over your left shoulder which was ideal). One of the reasons why I'm so keen on Pentax is the colour rendition.

BTW If you want to try some action shots of a horse PM me as the youngest is often jumping and we're not a million miles away. These were taken near Pallas Green on a ist.
Thanks! Exposure was a bit tricky and I missed the best shot as a result... when the horse was grabbing an apple from my daughter's hand.