Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
This might sound a bit corney, but for me I can't get enough of the photo opportunities of my wife and baby boy. The primary reason, I purchased this camera.

04-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
It's open to foot traffic - this is a great time of year to go, too - not too many tourists yet. We gotta get a philly area pentax shoot together one of these days...........I know there's enough of us here
PentaxForums.com - Independance Hall Photo Trip/Meeting

What's another few blocks?
04-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think I can narrow it down to one thing, but . . .

lichens
clouds
frost . . . on windows, mostly (one of the perks of living in Wisconsin)
old doors and doorknobs--especially when the light and shadows are right

I guess I like things that generally go unnoticed or are unappreciated. . . .
04-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I guess, for me, it would have to be people. I never tire of looking at social/documentary photographs. I'm no photojournalist so street photography has to suffice.

04-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #35
Veteran Member

My little daughter and lately flowers. Oh, and I still like abandoned buildings and places (factories, military bases, etc).
04-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #36
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
What's up with group notifications? I never seem to get them I'm game when we all get this together.
04-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #37
hcc
Pentaxian

For me, it is water, waves, rivers, torrents, tidal bores ...

04-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I have a theory about cameras, photons and scenic locales. (Hear me out.) Light is composed of photons, wee little packets of energy that spew from stars and fires and light bulbs, and that bounce off everything, and that are captured by eyeballs and photo film and digital sensors.

At especially scenic places (like the Golden Gate Bridge and Grand Canyon and Mt Fuji and Sumidero and the Eiffel Tower and Sydney Opera House and anywhere infested by paparazzi), many many cameras capture many many photons. I believe that such places can easily suffer from PHOTON DEPLETION.

But like water seeking the lowest level, photons will flow in from elsewhere, lowering the photon levels everywhere. Will a photon-environmental crisis result? Do we exacerbate photon depletion by obsessing with our favorite subjects, re-photographing them endlessly? Maybe we should ignore those favorite subjects, aim our photon-absorption devices (cameras) in more directions, help the universe maintain an even strain.

That said, people are still the funniest animals. And animals are some of the funniest people. Photograph a face and someone will look at it.
04-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't think so.

I've definitely never been tired of taking photos of the bridge, so I don't really think there's any photon depletion there (whatever that is).
04-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I've definitely never been tired of taking photos of the bridge, so I don't really think there's any photon depletion there (whatever that is).
That's where I first realized the reality of photon depletion. All those cameras clicking, and the light changed. Photons being sucked-in by the gazillions, and gazillions more flowing down from the Coast Ranges and the northern Sierra Nevadas to replace them. Except that Yosemite Valley is another depletion zone, replenished from the central Sierra Nevadas. A constant recirculation of photons. Like water seeking the lowest level, photons will flow in from elsewhere, lowering the photon levels everywhere. And so many photons are now embedded in film and paper and chips. Will a photon-environmental crisis result? We need more research. Can I get a grant?
04-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Of course there is photon depletion. I thought everyone knew about this by now. It will eventually result in the heat death of the universe. Thankfully, though, we need not be too concerned with eventualities on that scale of time.

So snap away, happy bunnies, photons are free!

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Photograph a face and someone will look at it.
I bet you I can photograph a face that no-one will look at.
04-19-2010, 03:44 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
I don't think I can narrow it down to one thing, but . . .

lichens
clouds
frost . . . on windows, mostly (one of the perks of living in Wisconsin)
old doors and doorknobs--especially when the light and shadows are right

I guess I like things that generally go unnoticed or are unappreciated. . . .
I hear you.
04-19-2010, 05:09 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Ah, something I forgot to mention before: arts, artifacts, crafts, handmade stuff. I have collections of pottery, carvings, weavings, instruments, paintings etc by peoples from the Arctic to the Tropics, mostly of the Americas, but a fair quantity also from the rest of the world. And they're all decent photographic subjects, being unable to complain or run off. Next time I'm at my sister's new place, I'll shoot all her sculptures and other works that I can get to.

When traveling, I'm obsessed with artifacts and art. Govt-run museums in Mexico and Guatemala allow non-flash photography. I filled several memory sticks at the superb anthropological museum in Xalapa, shooting ancient Mayan, Toltec, Axtec, Olmec, other works, everything I could get to. Really amazing stuff.

In Zacatecas are two world-class museums founded by the Coronal brothers (Mexican artistic royalty), converted monastery compounds filled with their collections. One has thousands upon thousands of ritual masks, mostly Mexican but Asian also. I couldn't shoot every one, just concentrated on the groupings. The other has vast ethnological collections too, but also rooms full of art by the brothers' buddies like Picasso, Miro, Mondrian, Braque, Leger, Kandinsky -- that crowd. And a room full of El Greco, and another of Howarth, and vast galleries of Orientalia and Africana and Greco-Roman classics. You get the picture. So did I.

Ancient churches filled with ancient paintings -- snap them all. (That's why I bought the K20D and FA50/1.4, so I could shoot the dim ones.) Carvers and potters with roadside displays -- ditto (and buy some stuff too). Market stalls filled with blindingly beautiful crafts -- snap snap. Another art: great stenciled social-political graffiti that puts Banksy to shame -- easy targets. Local museums filled with local masterpieces. Hand-carved doors and knockers, hand-wrought offerings in roadside shrines, ceramic art stuck into walls. I just can't get enough.

What to do with it? Put it in a directory tree, run a screensaver/slideshow on an otherwise unused screen, get distracted while I'm concentrate on reading, writing, whatever. Every artifact is a story.
04-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
For me it is the bridges in my neighborhood that connect Philadelphia to New Jersey.
Are you Clint Eastwood?