Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #1

smug mug

Do any of you use smug mug? I see if you want the option to sell any of your photos (there) it is $150/yr, but they allow you to change your member level at any time.

So please, tell me all about your smug mug experiences (good and bad).

04-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
PFH
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I recently started using SmugMug and I think itīs an easy way to show your images.
Works fine for me.
peterfriskh's Photos- powered by SmugMug

Last edited by PFH; 04-08-2010 at 08:58 AM.
04-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes--smugmug user!

I love Smugmug so far. I've been a mugger since last year sometime. Here's my site: CFW Photography . I finally bought into the pro version so I could sell prints online as well as just show them. The jury is out as to whether or not I will sell any there--I just did it recently. . . Cindy
04-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

I use it as my e-commerce site. When I do shoots of performances and such I set up a gallery with a password (lots of time there are children in the images and I don't want those floating around in public) and the participants can go there to see and purchase prints and downloads. Usually the situation I shoot in is that I give the organization the images for promotional use, but they cannot give or sell to anyone, I retain that right, and Smugmug is how I manage it.

04-11-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just to be contrary, how about Zenfolio for the same thing? I don't have an account, but I've always liked their user interface for the viewer much better than Smugmug. Anybody else feel the same way?

Best,
Kevin
04-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Its good to hear all these positive reviews for smug mug. I have been thinking about joining so I can sell some of my photos and this sounds like the perfect place.
04-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I second Mel's comments about smugmug -- I use it the same way. It's a very convenient and easy to use method of providing images to clients, who can then order prints and merchandise directly from the site or download JPGs, for a fee, for free, or not at all, depending on the arrangements.

The option to create "unlisted" and/or password-protected galleries is also important to me to protect images of children or private events from random access. Too, smugmug's method of gathering input from members for upgrades and improvements is quite impressive as is their customer service. They're been rolling out some serious enhancements recently, like detailed metrics reports and viewer-selectable collections, in response to member requests.

I do wish their home-page design and layout features were more user-friendly-- heavy customization requires knowledge of html coding-- but I'm comfortable for the time being with the basic page I was able to produce. So far, so good.

Last edited by marianne718; 04-12-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: used wrong word
04-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Just to be contrary, how about Zenfolio for the same thing? I don't have an account, but I've always liked their user interface for the viewer much better than Smugmug. Anybody else feel the same way?

Best,
Kevin
My site is zenfolio. After reading up on some of the other options like smugmug I've gone with zenfolio because I think they offer clearer, more 'basic' layout options.

I don't have the purchasing option enables because I don't want other people handling my prints, but that's just a personal preference, I don't know which site has better sales options.
04-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using SmugMug for several months now and like it. I agree with Marianne that it isn't exactly intuitive and it's taken me a while to get the hang of it but I'm mostly there and it certainly meets my needs--which, I should indicate, don't as yet include sales.
04-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like it because it permits me to upload unlimited size and unlimited quantity, of course you pay for this and they are not the only game in town, but I think the price is fair and reasonable and the display quality is good.

It is of course intended for selling your product and linked somehow with google. This is of no interest to me and I do not participate in this but a link only for family and friends.
04-13-2010, 01:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Zenfolio for me as well. I like the interface and how you can personalize it better.
I don't use the print or purchase option either.
Lately, they added the option to add music as well but you don't have to activate this. Luckily because that would be a deal-breaker for me.

It can be slow sometimes but it seems that's only from where I'm located (EU).
I tried Smugmug as well but I preferred Zenfolio and Smugmug wasn't any faster.
I think there's a weak link somewhere between me and either of Zenfolio or Smugmug. They are physically located in the same area, I believe (from a global perspective, that is).
04-13-2010, 02:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Do many of you members using smugmug make much money selling photos on there?
04-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
Do any of you use smug mug? I see if you want the option to sell any of your photos (there) it is $150/yr, but they allow you to change your member level at any time.

So please, tell me all about your smug mug experiences (good and bad).
I had Smugmug for 2 years and left it about 2 years ago for Zenfolio. Here were my reasons to leave. In fairness, perhaps some/all of these have been addressed since then:

1) Too much JavaScript/CSS programming required to customize the user interface. I remember every new photo gallery required updating the menu CSS.

2) Limited control over printing. They seems to override my print options with their own. This mainly impacted brightness of the prints and was an issue with clients at times.

3) No self-fullfillment option.

ZenFolio was a better fit for me for the above reasons. I can toss up a Gallery after a shoot and attach a custom price list and I'm done with it. Initially, SmugMug was better at ESO but ZenFolio has addressed this in the past year. Plus, for certain clients/products I prefer the self-fullfillment option.

I believe SmugMug can now host videos, Zenfolio still does not.

Having said all this, I'd suggest you take a look at PhotoShelter before creating a new site. It's what the very big boys of professional photography are using these days. At the very least, download the results of a survey they published (available for free) of what on-line photo buyers prefer in websites. (i.e. Skip the initial slide shows!) It's very helpful for designing your site regardless of where you host it.

Regards,
-tom
04-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I would recommend Flickr over Smugmug for a lot of various reasons. Smugmug doesn't really have what it takes to be a great photo website for me, it lacks all forms of community and you have to pay to be a member of it too.
04-15-2010, 02:44 AM   #15
mel
Veteran Member

Smugmug has a free componant. It's the e-commerce aspect you have to pay for and Flickr doesn't offer that.