Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote

The fatality was a little Olympus film P&S I had borrowed to take along on a canoe trip with our Boy Scout troop. As you might guess, this was not a wise decision... On the other hand, my wife turned out to be very happy with her brand new camera (another film P&S).

Jim
Shoulda taken a stylus epic. Nice little Oly film compact, rugged and sealed too. I don't know if it would survive full immersion, but they have a good reputation.

04-11-2010, 01:11 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess you could say it would have been EPIC if it had survived that if you had then?

Ok, I'm done with the puns for now.
04-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Shoulda taken a stylus epic. Nice little Oly film compact, rugged and sealed too. I don't know if it would survive full immersion, but they have a good reputation.
That's why I got the Oly 770 SW. Built for 5-foot / 1.5m drops, 33ft /10m submergence, and really ugly subjects. Do they make'em like that anymore?
04-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Yep. Last I heard they've been making the top-line even more rugged now, along with a cheaper version that can't submerge quite as deep. Of course, Pentax has also ruggedized their Optio beyond its previous waterproofness as well, Ricoh's been doing some ruggedized compacts for a while and now Panasonic, Fuji, and Canon are putting out waterproof and/or rugged compacts as well. You'd think all those manufacturers would catch on and start sealing their full range of DSLRs and and lenses as well.

I wish...

04-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep. Last I heard they've been making the top-line even more rugged now, along with a cheaper version that can't submerge quite as deep. Of course, Pentax has also ruggedized their Optio beyond its previous waterproofness as well, Ricoh's been doing some ruggedized compacts for a while and now Panasonic, Fuji, and Canon are putting out waterproof and/or rugged compacts as well. You'd think all those manufacturers would catch on and start sealing their full range of DSLRs and and lenses as well.

I wish...
No, no, that would be reasonable. You seem to think that they are reasonable.

Have you seen how much their little compacts that are weather sealed sell for?

If you haven't, you don't want to know, believe me.
04-12-2010, 05:52 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I've seen. A good friend of mine owned one for a while. They're a little pricey, yeah, but it's not that bad. You could spend more to get less.
04-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Broke my first DSLR(Nikon D70s) and decided that was too much money to be playing around with and got a Canon S3 IS.

The strap snagged a table corner and jerked it out of my hand, snapped the lens off the camera and broke the mount, Nikon repaired it all quickly and completely and at no charge to me.

04-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
She picks her own cameras out... Safer that way (for me).

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I guess you could say it would have been EPIC if it had survived that if you had then?

Ok, I'm done with the puns for now.
All I can say is "If the momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!" Momma was made happy again when I got her a new box that worked and gave her her pictures...

Jim
04-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

broken every single one except for the ist*D. i love that f**k*r
04-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
broken every single one except for the ist*D. i love that f**k*r
ha! its hard not to love those ****ers isn't it?
04-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #41

Photos: Gallery
The first camera I broke was actually a pentax. I had the first optio water proof that came out. Amazing camera. It was small and I carried it around in the back pocket. Well needless to say i sat on a park benck and out went the screen. still functioned, just couldn't see what you were taking pictures of.
04-15-2010, 02:56 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have never broken a camera, but I have broken a 35-70mm Pentax lens before. Dropped it on the ground, and it rolled over and hit a stone before plunging down a staicase.
Whatever left of it connot be fitted into any SLR.

Cheers.
04-15-2010, 03:28 AM   #43
Veteran Member

i've broken quite a few cameras accidentally, usually lens makes contact first..
04-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #44

I dropped a new Canon AE1 over the side of the ship I was stationed on. I guess it served me right though, I had taken advantage of a fellow short of cash and incidently, short of cigarettes. Back in the day, ships stores would get slim toward the end of a cruise. I used to buy up about 25-30 cartons of cigs to take advantage of that. I bought the Canon for two cartons of Lucky Strikes....my last two cartons. I could see it go down........down......down.........I think I said the ultimate curseword.........oh well. That was thirty years ago.
04-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gene Temple Quote
I dropped a new Canon AE1 over the side of the ship I was stationed on. I guess it served me right though, I had taken advantage of a fellow short of cash and incidently, short of cigarettes. Back in the day, ships stores would get slim toward the end of a cruise. I used to buy up about 25-30 cartons of cigs to take advantage of that. I bought the Canon for two cartons of Lucky Strikes....my last two cartons. I could see it go down........down......down.........I think I said the ultimate curseword.........oh well. That was thirty years ago.
You never got the camera back? Is it still sitting on the bottom of the Atlantic? It would be interesting if someone recovered your roll of film in a few thousand years or so, and wonder what this photography thing was that we had. Or someone already found it.