Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #1

Shooting in museums/historic sites

So I'm heading to Rome at the end of the month - last minute trip, first time to Europe. Does anyone have advice regarding cameras and shooting in museums there? I'm assuming no flash allowed, but has anyone had any "no tripods, no professional equipment" (ie SLRs) experiences?

My charger says input voltages of 100-240V are OK, so I think I can use it with just an adapter.

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

04-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally no tripods
cameras are ok usually and restrictions are posted
aside from damage toart is the concern about interfering with other patrons
04-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #3

I have shot both the British Museum and the Louvre. Most displays where lit well enough for hand held w/o flash. I nearly always shoot in manual mode so I would take a reading off a statue with it's low watt spot light and let the background go dark. Painting where generally well lit.
04-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A lot of places don't let you use flash for some weird reason. I guess they think that it takes something away from the paintings or something. I've never really heard of any other problems except for a few extreme cases other than that though.

04-09-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In the museums that I have shot in all of them had a no flash rule as its supposed to damage artwork and other fragile items. Other then that and no tripods you should be fine.

Cory
04-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies - I'll be sure to post some photos when I return.

Pete
04-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I was in a New York art gallery and I also used manual mode without a flash. I was shooting a lot and it was ok. Just be curteous to the other attendees and all should go smooth. Enjoy your outing.

04-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have shot in quite a few museums. Some allow flash, some don't. A good number of exhibits are behind glass and flash throws a lot of reflections off glass so it's not always practical anyhow. A wide angle lens ( 12-24, 10-17, etc) is a big bonus in a crowded musuem.
04-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It very much depends on the country and museum what the general rules are.
Why not check the musea websites to be sure?
Only the Borghese Gallery seems to be a problem in Rome.
See also: ROME VATICAN MUSEUM - Historical Museums in Vatican Rome Italy
I know that I've always been able to carry my camera in, in Rome.

- Bert
04-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #10

Two experiences to relate

Wow--have fun in Rome--you are so lucky! I'd give my eyeteeth to be going back there with a camera in hand. . .

So, in the beginning of this past January, I toured the US Capitol Building with my in-laws and family, and brought my K20D along SANS tripod--I tried to get permission through my magazine beforehand, but they just frown on it (the capitol, not the magazine.) I took handheld panoramas at f/5.6, ISO 800, I believe, in order to have a fast enough shutter speed, and it worked out all right.

The next month though, I got permission to take pictures with a tirpod at the Library of Congress, which was great fun! I had to do it after closing time, but they oh-so-kindly let me come in and shoot away for an hour.

But I agree with many of the people here--most museums don't allow tripods. Also--some museums may not allow pictures at all, as it isn't allowed, period. I hope you don't find that to be true in Rome. Good luck to you and have a wonderful trip!

Cindy
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
04-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
A lot of places don't let you use flash for some weird reason. I guess they think that it takes something away from the paintings or something. I've never really heard of any other problems except for a few extreme cases other than that though.
They are real reasons:

1. Cameras are annoying enough for other patrons. Flashes would be even more annoying.

2. The light from flash contains UV which can break down the pigments (colors) in paintings. One or a few flash bursts don't do much damage, but if everyone uses flash, a zillion flash strobes over time will have significant effects.
04-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
So I'm heading to Rome at the end of the month - last minute trip, first time to Europe. Does anyone have advice regarding cameras and shooting in museums there? I'm assuming no flash allowed, but has anyone had any "no tripods, no professional equipment" (ie SLRs) experiences?

My charger says input voltages of 100-240V are OK, so I think I can use it with just an adapter.

Anything else I need to know?
As the others have written: mostly no tripod and no flash. If the museum shows contemporary art, photography is usually prohibited completely (I experienced that in Spain and in Britain, and think this has nothing to do with the country), because of copyright issues. No problems though at historic sites, were sometimes still the tripod is forbidden, to prevent trouble with other visitors.

Ben
04-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The places you are going to probably have a website. Email them for photography restriction information, and mention any "special" equipment you want to use.

I did this for the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC, to find out you can not even use a monopod (for "safety reasons") though you can carry it around if you "assure the security people you will not use it".

I actually use one of the tiny 6" tripods that seems not to bother anyone, and it can be placed on a post or railing, etc.
04-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #14

Original Poster
I think I'll save the space and leave the tripod at home - and I could see a monopod freaking people out in this day and age! I think that between my new Tamron's f/2.8 and the K-x's high ISO I should me able to find enough light. Thanks again for all the replies.
04-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found that rules vary all over the map. Even a little Spanish-speaking only museum in Spain forbade any and all photography. While a big contemporary art exhibit in Ireland did not mind.

Just ask at the door. There are better things to do than take photos of art, anyway. Just buy the catalogue.