Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Should I get a generic flash?

I own a K100D and I usually prefer natural/available light than use a flash... however, sometimes there are instances when a flash is needed. I'm thinking of getting an el cheapo generic flash rather than shell out for a branded one... I know nothing about flashes though, I'll get the generic flash just so I have one handy whenever the built in flash can't do the trick... what do you guys think? Invest in some expensive branded flash I'll definitely use rarely, or go with an approximately $20 generic flash? Thanks!

07-18-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Just my 2 cants worth, but the stock flash is probably better than a $20.00 flash.

Plus our cameras circuits can burn out if the flash draws too much electricity, which is why Sigma and other name brand flashes make a model just for our cameras.
07-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
I own a K100D and I usually prefer natural/available light than use a flash... however, sometimes there are instances when a flash is needed. I'm thinking of getting an el cheapo generic flash rather than shell out for a branded one... I know nothing about flashes though, I'll get the generic flash just so I have one handy whenever the built in flash can't do the trick... what do you guys think? Invest in some expensive branded flash I'll definitely use rarely, or go with an approximately $20 generic flash? Thanks!

For indoor or situation with 1/180s or slower shutter speed, a generic flash is fine. However, if you plan to use it in daylight environment, you will find the need for HSS very badly. This is when dedicated P-TTL flash is need. However, be aware that the latest 200FGZ flash cannot do HSS.
07-19-2007, 12:40 AM   #4

It's your decision of course, but it's almost as you've said "i'm gonna purchase another el cheapo generic lens for the occasions where kit lens doesn't cut". There is nothing wrong with that, if that's what you really want, but in the long run you may find yourself needing yet another replacement because those situations start popping up in which it'd be nice to have something more capable.

I too shoot with available light whenever I can and I happily go ISO 1600 with my K100D with no regrets, if needed, but in those situations where I need flash, I usually need FLASH. It's not about branding, it's about features you need. If you want flash playing nice with camera, if want need flash which rotates two-way, if you want flash that has AF-light then there is no point purchasing flash which only gives you more reach and avoids lens shadow but does nothing more.

That being said - if flash you're considering fulfills your needs, then by all means. Just be sure it does what you want it to do. Even if you need flash only occasionally (last time I used mine was in May) you still will not be happy if it falls short.

07-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
as long as your "generic" flash is a Vivitar 285HV or Sunpack 383, that should be ok. Get a hotshoe sync cord so you can hold it up w/ your left hand while leaving it connected to the hotshoe because that'll make the shadows better...
07-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
as long as your "generic" flash is a Vivitar 285HV or Sunpack 383, that should be ok. Get a hotshoe sync cord so you can hold it up w/ your left hand while leaving it connected to the hotshoe because that'll make the shadows better...
Yeah. Automatic features or not, you want the power to be able to bounce. That means that "el cheapo" will still be somewhat expensive ($90 for 285HV) but at least it's not $350+ (AF540).
07-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Get a Pentax flash for your Pentax camera!!

07-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm... thanks for all the replies. Are the Vivitar and Sunpak flashes okay? Also, what do you mean when you say "I need a flash that rotates 2 ways?" as aabram points out... I'll probably go with the 285HV or the Sunpak... but if the difference in price is not that high, maybe a Pentax, I wouldn't want my camera to get fried...
07-19-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hmmm... thanks for all the replies. Are the Vivitar and Sunpak flashes okay? Also, what do you mean when you say "I need a flash that rotates 2 ways?" as aabram points out... I'll probably go with the 285HV or the Sunpak... but if the difference in price is not that high, maybe a Pentax, I wouldn't want my camera to get fried...
The NEW Vivitar 285HVs are designed to be digital-safe, even with the (relatively weak) Canon DSLRs. Beware of older used 285s and I think even some older 285HVs.

The only things that a Pentax flash gains over the 285HV currently are:
Built in wireless triggering (Can add RF wireless triggering for $30)
High speed sync (for balancing flash against daylight with high shutter speeds for special "super flash fill" tricks)
P-TTL (performs worse than metering with an on-flash sensor except in niche situations such as macro photography)

Not worth the fact that the 540 is approximately four times the price of the 285HV. Not returning my 540 to B&H before it was too late to return was the biggest mistake I've made this year. I own a 540 and am incredibly unhappy with it.

That said, I've seen in another thread that firmware 1.30 for the K10D appears to be changing exposure behavior despite the fact that the firmware summary makes no mention of anything other than SDM support. After reading that I'll be trying 1.30 this weekend to see if it improves the situation of the AF540 on a K10D.

For more on the 285HV, browse around strobist.blogspot.com - lots of tips on using it, and it's the core of MPEX's new "Strobist Kits". I'm probably going to be buying one in addition to my AF540 in the next month, and also likely selling my 540 in the next 3-4 months.
07-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Entropy: Thanks! I'll browse around the link you gave! My knowledge in flashes is close to nil, I appreciate your warnings.
07-20-2007, 07:17 AM   #11

what do you mean when you say "I need a flash that rotates 2 ways?"
Flash head that turns not only up-down but has left-right swivel also. Comes handy when you shoot in portrait mode and want to bounce flash off the ceiling. With just up-down pointing head you can either have to aim it towards the subject or towards the wall, not the ceiling.