Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K200 got a soaking

The other day I made the ultimate sin: I left my camera outside and found it next morning after 16mm rain. I was sick to the stomach. Turned it on and the battery symbol came on vaguely grey - nothing else. Dead. Taking the batteries out found that just the bottom of the compartment was flooded. All the time thinking of Pentax bragging about all the seals. Carefully removed the lens (18-55 Pentax that came with the kit) and found that the contact areas were wet. Dried this off with tissues. Left it near the wood heater for the day before daring to try recharged batteries. It lives! No hint of condensation in the lens. No aberrant behaviour in the camera. Thank you Pentax. You could say that the K200D is idiot proof.
Should I have done anything else in the drying out process?

Does anyone else have a funny story (!) about mistreating their camera?

I'd put a Smily in but I can't find one called "Ashamed".

04-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Just as a precaution I would recommend sealing it in a ziplock bag with those little silica gel packets that you get with jackets and shoes. That'll get rid of any extra moisture that might have missed.
04-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow,how did you manage to forget that it was outside? Good to hear that it still works!
04-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Just as a precaution I would recommend sealing it in a ziplock bag with those little silica gel packets that you get with jackets and shoes. That'll get rid of any extra moisture that might have missed.
I agree, this'll help.

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Wow,how did you manage to forget that it was outside?
I grew up in a city where, when the rain came you ran for cover leaving everything alone and hoped for the best.
The biggest problem in that city was it seemed like it rained 12 months of the year.

04-10-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, hope I never forget my camera outside, my luck someone would steal it. Glad to hear that it's alright though and I would also use some silica packets to get rid of any missed moisture.
04-10-2010, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Thank you. I have done that. I had some silica gel sachets in a jar from here and there: I hope it can be reactivated by warming. This is what I have done.
04-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #7

wow,
good thing its still working,,
I think it would also be best that when your gear is soaked in water,
dont turn it on just yet, wait for it to dry up first before you try to turn it on...

04-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

As a K200D owner, I thank you for the information. Keep us informed of any further issues.
But no, I have no other experiences with leaving a camera outdoors to the elements. I guess circumstances are what they were.

The only thing was that my son left a measuring tape outside after I told him to make sure to bring in all the tools but he forgot. Within days, the tape was rusty as crap and never quite worked after taking it apart and oiling it.

So best of luck in the future.
04-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cosmicap Quote
Turned it on and the battery symbol came on vaguely grey - nothing else.
You were lucky that you didn't kill it by immediately trying to turn it on. A better strategy is to dry the camera first and then switch it on.

I had some silica gel sachets in a jar from here and there: I hope it can be reactivated by warming.
Yes, it is possible to reactivate the sachets by warming them up.
04-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Just wondering if it is still working alright? Sometimes it takes a little time before a problem shows itself.
04-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Just wondering if it is still working alright? Sometimes it takes a little time before a problem shows itself.
Touch wood, yep!
04-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I would think that the K200D can stand up to this type of abuse as long as it it not submerged.
It was also not turned on during the whole process of soaking so it is less likely that something would get shorted (if any water got in).
Since the K200D is weather-sealed, then something like this doesn't surprise me.
Glad to hear a good story about how it stands up to the elements though.
Great camera!
04-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I would think that the K200D can stand up to this type of abuse as long as it it not submerged.
It was also not turned on during the whole process of soaking so it is less likely that something would get shorted (if any water got in).
Stupid me did turn it on when I found it. I must admit my first thought was " Thank God it's weathersealed!". I am hoping that no problems develop but it was lovely pure country air raindrops. Salt spray/ rain storm at the beach might have been a different story. Yes - great camera!
04-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Stupid me did turn it on when I found it. I must admit my first thought was " Thank God it's weathersealed!". I am hoping that no problems develop but it was lovely pure country air raindrops. Salt spray/ rain storm at the beach might have been a different story. Yes - great camera!
Do you think rain would have gotten in if it had a WR lens on it?