Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Dissapointment

After going through all of the photos that looked so great to me on my cameras LCD after the baseball game that I went to yesterday, I got home and uploaded them to my computer.

Honestly, I don't really like any of them at all. I took them with a new camera and a new kit lens and they just didn't turn out good at all for some reason. I've noticed that since I'm so hard on myself that this happens a lot though.

Does anyone ever have this happen to them too?

04-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Definitely. For one, the resolution on the K-x's LCD preview sucks. This is because Pentax decided to use lower resolution previews for the K-x. The K20D's LCD resolution is the same, but when reviewing, it is much clearer.

But the main thing is overal appeal, some images just look better smaller.
04-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, on my K20D some shots look great, but when I get home and look at them they are really disappointing. I think it also has to do with the smaller screen, somehow photos look better when they are smaller.
04-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Happens to me far too often. Meh.

04-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well that's the thing that kind of is dissapointing about the smaller resolution and sized screens, like my D50 only has a 2 inch screen (remember when every camera had those and we thought they were big?) and it's just so hard to judge sharpness (the D50 also has some kind of weird magnifying combination of buttons that I can't really figure out) and other things. That's why sometimes I miss having the 3 inch LCD on my old Canon Rebel XSi, I never really had any problems checking sharpness with it although it was low resolution (at the time that was high resolution I think) but the bigger the screen I notice the more photos I end up keeping from it.
04-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree - happens to me frequently too (I have a K-x), although to be fair I don't think the lower LCD resolution is all to blame. Even with a higher resolution small screen, the small size will not show enough detail to judge an image properly.
I find I am often "Zooming" in on playback after taking shots but even that does not tell me much - especially if in sunlight (where small LCD brightness / contrast just doesn't have a chance).
04-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well yeah that's true, but sometimes when you can look at your photo right after you take it on a larger screen you'll know whether or not you should try to retake it or not.

04-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you might be suffering from pixel peeping

there is a post in the beginner's forum, where the OP was disappointed when he took a 5% crop out of a shot with his kit lens at 18mm and when looking at that 5% on a big monitor thought it lacked sharpness.

He was seeing the lack of resolution of the sensor at that point.

post some disappointing samples for us to look at.
04-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I never post the disappointing ones, but I totally agree that I pixel peep way too much because I ask for such hard critique on my photos, I'm never happy unless they're totally perfect. Of course it's rare that happens too.
04-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
After going through all of the photos that looked so great to me on my cameras LCD after the baseball game that I went to yesterday, I got home and uploaded them to my computer.
Would that be your Canon or your Nikon? Maybe the other forum can help you more?
04-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That was the Nikon, but I've had similar experiences with both Canon and Pentax cameras too.
04-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was the Nikon, but I've had similar experiences with both Canon and Pentax cameras too.
So why are you posting it here? And without pictures or anything so people can help? This really starts to look like nothing other than post padding.

(Of course you have also given everyone else the opportunity to respond as I have done. But that doesn't help the forum in any way.)
04-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What do you mean? I wasn't talking about any specific items in general, just the overall feeling when I get home from taking photos. It really doesn't matter what the camera is, there's just always that feeling of dissapointment a lot of the time when you put them on your computer and see them larger.
04-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Shouldn't this thread bee in the "Off Brand" forum or even the GT? People have gotten infractions for posting threads in the wrong forum for a lot less.
04-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
hcc
Pentaxian

Honestly, I don't really like any of them at all. I took them with a new camera and a new kit lens and they just didn't turn out good at all for some reason. I've noticed that since I'm so hard on myself that this happens a lot though.
Does anyone ever have this happen to them too?
I have had similar experiences, but with some differences.

Typically I never view on the LCD (too small). I take as many shots as I deem relevant. At the end of the day, I view the photos on the computer and I had many "bad days". Often it has nothing to do the camera or lens, but more to plain silly/stupid human error ('errare humanum est' [Descartes]).

I do not trust the LCD and it is far too small to be confident that the whole shot is good. I would love to have a computer with me all the time, but I often need to move quickly, rapidly and over some distance to follow the action. It is unfeasable to carry a computer....