Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photography in London (England) - What to expect ?

A few days ago, I learned that I will be spending next week in London (a 40th birthday present from my wife - ain't she great ? )

I am naturally thrilled to visit a new city, but after reading here and there about what photographers have to put up with in the UK, I almost feel like I should leave my camera on this side of the Atlantic.

Are the police really harassing photographers as badly as the media are reporting ? I've pretty much given up any hope of doing street photography, but how hard is it to shoot architecture and landscape ?

PS.: pointers to good pubs, sights, and otherwise interesting spots in London are most welcome

04-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only advice I can give you is if anyone asks you for a fag, don't freak out. That just means a cigarette.

Also, Benny Hill is long dead, so don't strain your neck trying to spot him at Trafalgar.
04-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You should have no problems I spent a few days there recently and walked about taking photos, but I only took the K-7 out one of the 2 central london days. Took photos of everything both at the touristy places and off the beaten track a little.
But seriously do it, like i said i am oblivious to the media stories but it would seem odd in this day and age where everybody has a dlsr/p+s to alienate and harass your tourists, there was a thread in here that might have some good info in it.
I saw a lot of police there with assault rifles and sub machine guns so if they ask you to do something, do it ... and aussies complain because our cops have tasars

Your wife is awesome, very cool present and you will have a blast. Most of the major 'sights' in london can be covered in a few hours walk, leaving the rest of your time for beer and beer and then some photos.
04-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a tourist, you don't need to worry about being hassled. Do what you want to do (within reason!) and worry about it if it comes up.

London is so incredible and so large and full that there is no way to recommend anything unless we knew your specific interests. Get a Time Out magazine when you get there to see what shows and art exhibits are on. If there is anything special, then take it in... there are many once in a lifetime opportunities.

The Tube is so brilliant but I recommend to get a feel for the place, walk. I know so many who just get the Tube from place to place and don't even know where one area is relative to another. Often they are closer than you think. How many visitors never find Chinatown, for example?

The Tate Modern south of the Thames is absolutely brilliant -- both as a contemporary art gallery and as a structure. You can walk to it over the bridge from just below St. Paul's Cathedral.

The British Museum is a must-see but can take two days to cover. Certainly worth it for the Egyptian work alone. The V&A (Victoria & Albert) has many great design and craft works and I love their funky 20th century exhibits.

I realise these are not specifically photo-related tips, but you will always find stuff to photograph... best to enjoy all the other aspects as well. Find a real pub (if you can!) and sit down to a pint of bitter. Go to one of the markets on a busy day and soak it in. Speaking of which -- do not worry about rain. Take a rain slick and just keep going! There are so many galleries etc. to check out indoors.

I hope to visit again in June myself.

04-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Congratulations on getting a nice trip like that!

I spent 3 weeks with my wife in the UK last year - including a whole week in London. Took heaps of shots and had my sling bag and camera with me almost the whole time. Harrods are a bit narky about bags on shoulders (you have to carry them - my sling bag was no bigger than a woman's hand bag but I got told off ), but everyone else was cool.

The only thing was to keep your eyes open for no photography signs. Other than that - no problems at all.

Took shots in the Victoria & Albert Museum, the British Museum, the houses of parliament (where there are plenty of police) and around Oxford Street, Soho, Carnaby Street, Piccadilly Circus etc etc. If you get a chance, get a ticket to a live show (lots of ticket sellers around Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square) - lots of great plays in London.

A week was no where near enough - and I've been to London a few times now.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers
04-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mibane Quote
Most of the major 'sights' in london can be covered in a few hours walk, leaving the rest of your time for beer and beer and then some photos.
Surely you mean a few weeks walk? A few hours isn't even enough for one museum.

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
A week was no where near enough - and I've been to London a few times now.
Yeah, now that's what I'm talking about!

Another place worth a visit is Greenwich for the park, museum and ships, especially if you have any interest in exploration, shipbuilding, the colonial period or clocks. Though I'm not sure of the state of the Cutty Sark after the fire they had.
04-14-2010, 12:36 AM   #7

My advice is make sure you wear good pair of walking shoes cos most interesting places you need to travel there on foot!

04-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, everyone, you've help put my mind at ease regarding photography in London.

@rparmar: our hotel is in South Kensington, a short walk from the Gloucester Road Tube station. As for my interests, I like visiting churches, castles, and other "old piles of rocks". Museums are not necessarily a priority, but the Egyptian collection at the British Museum, and the dinosaur expo at the Natural History Museum are on our museum short-list. I also want to go the a market (Portobello Road ?), where I *hope* to do a bit of street photography. Oh, and I love beer - bitter, stout, porter, bring it on ! London should suit me fine

And don't worry, I know I must not spend my whole trip looking through the viewfinder

@h4t8: I've been to Europe several times already, so I'm no stranger to walking and comfortable shoes requirement
04-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
@rparmar: our hotel is in South Kensington, a short walk from the Gloucester Road Tube station.
OK, so you are just beside the Natural History Museum, a place I have actually never been to. You can easily get anywhere from there, and when you are tired of old buildings can chill with a walk in Hyde Park. Enjoy and be sure to report back with some pictures!
04-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've a confession here, I'm an Englishman living in Ireland, and why did I get out?-

One reason

Another was the desire of the government to build a database with a total life audit of every person living within the country, they tried to hide it behind a need for an ID card but that was only the excuse and with all this authoritarianism came section 44 of the anti terrorism act under which police have incredible powers to stop and detain pretty much anyone they fancy, including those pointing a camera at what might be considered targets by our old friends the terrorists. It is the gross misuse of this act that has finally reduced the UK to a police state. Ten years ago there were no police with guns except at the airports now they are everywhere as already pointed out. Keeping law and order or the government keeping people in their place? I really think it's the latter.

Go to London by all means, but see it as terrible vision of what can go wrong with a supposedly liberal country when good men say nothing or are cowed by the idiotic chanting of the word 'terrorism' by those who seek unquestioned power over the citizen. Interestingly the whole concept of the Government's cavalier attitude towards civil liberties over the past decade has now become an election issue, but I doubt that it will change much, too many vested interests.

Still, the absolute wonder that is the National Gallery is still there and is an absolute must for those with any interest in art.

Last edited by justinr; 04-14-2010 at 11:47 AM.
04-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
I don't live near London, but I am near Oxford. You can probably expect someone to ask you, at least once, what you are doing if you are taking pictures. Most often it is normal people being busy bodies or private security guards trying to be hard. Personally, I would announce in your loudest, politest, Quebec-ouise accent that you are a tourist. That will probably do for most people to keep them from giving you a hard time.
What you have to watch out for are the "hobby bobbies". In order to save money they now have Community Support Officers who assist the real police, and even though they don't have full police powers, most have a very over blown opinion of themselves. I recently had one question me in my own front yard on what I was doing, when I was playing around with a brand new lens. Be polite, but firm. If you look around, there are a lot of web sites that have printable "cards" you can carry with you to hand out to curious "hobbyists" about what the laws are on public photography.
04-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in London just before Chrismass last year. No problem making photos whatsoever. And I shot a lot!! Behave as a tourist, it'll save you from lots of trouble!!

Great wife you've got!!!
04-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
I was in London just before Chrismass last year. No problem making photos whatsoever. And I shot a lot!! Behave as a tourist, it'll save you from lots of trouble!!

Great wife you've got!!!
But if I were a terrorist that's just what I'd do, which is what makes the whole clampdown on photographers so stupendously stupid unless there is some other motive or the police have simply forgotten themselves and are catching up with their more thuggish counterparts in the less enlightened parts of the world.

This is the case that most people have in mind- Austiran Tourist

And here is a little more background - Photographers Protest

In contrast the only time in Ireland that I have been asked not to take a shot is of a horse with a broken leg being put down at a point to point meeting. No problems otherwise.
04-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote

Great wife you've got!!!
But if I were a terrorist that's just what I'd do, which is what makes the whole clampdown on photographers so stupendously stupid unless there is some other motive or the police have simply forgotten themselves and are catching up with their more thuggish counterparts in the less enlightened parts of the world.

This is the case that most people have in mind- Austiran Tourist

And here is another case from outside of London although it seems that the police are thinking again on this one. Mind you some of their colleagues were snapped sledging on their riot shields and got a good rollicking so they are probably a bit nervous about fellows with cameras. - Fish'n'chips terrorist

In contrast the only time in Ireland that I have been asked not to take a shot is of a horse with a broken leg being put down at a point to point meeting. No problems otherwise.
04-15-2010, 03:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What to expect in London?

- Rain (bring a foldable umbrella)
- Pick pockets (watch your belongings!, I'm a very frequent traveller, grown up in a city with crime etc, still I had stuff stolen twice in London, never elsewhere)
- Poor food (try Indian)
- Friendly, helpfull people in the streets
- Long time on your feet (bring comfortable shoes, small backpack)
- Hazardous street crossing (Traffice comes from the right first)
- Expensive drinks
- Warm beer (no foam)
- Having to pay to enter a church
- No problem taking photo's whatsoever!

Bert