Please don't mention Zip drives!
I almost gagged as well.

But at least he didn't say SYQUEST!!!

04-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by landscaped1 Quote
what's new in Photoshop | Adobe Photoshop CS5

how many times has the clone stamp failed you before you got it right? no need any more with auto fill!

what about selections and difficult cutouts....no need to trace that any more

photoshop use to take talent and knowledge. not anymore.
Sure it does. Just like any hack can use a word processor and author a very bad book, anyone can use Photoshop and create a dreadful picture. It's still all GIGO.
04-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I almost gagged as well.

I'd love to give you a whole bunch of information on this, but it's all stored on my Bernoulli Box.

04-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Have anybody seen Adobe CS5 yet? That is so ridiculous.
Relax. It's just another tool. Photos have been manipulated for over a century.

04-15-2010, 01:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I would have to say that a lot of my photos sure don't look like what my camera took when I finally get them finished online, but I think that's just a part of the photography. Like dodging and burning was used in the film days, photoshop and lightroom are just really the next advancement of what we can do then. Besides, I like to make the photo look like how I saw it, or at least how I wanted to see it, I suppose.
04-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by landscaped1 Quote
photoshop use to take talent and knowledge. not anymore.
I always thought it just only took money to buy the right plugin?

Thank you
Russell
04-15-2010, 03:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

is it really such a "win" button that everybody want it nerfed?

04-15-2010, 03:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Content aware isn't anything new, it's been around for a few years. There's a plug-in for Gimp called Resynthesizer that does exactly the same thing.

04-15-2010, 05:02 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
I'd love to give you a whole bunch of information on this, but it's all stored on my Bernoulli Box.
Let me first grab my off-site stack of QIC tapes. (Those things were really bad to use as backups. And even if you did, you could never restore from them anyway!!)

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
Content aware isn't anything new, it's been around for a few years. There's a plug-in for Gimp called Resynthesizer that does exactly the same thing.
Exactly. All Photoshop has done here is improve their own tools (smart objects) and incorporate a bunch of existing plugins. It will make things easier to have them all in one place, sure.

But if anyone is complaining I sure hope they also bitched about auto-exposure.
04-15-2010, 05:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Apparently the content aware filter isn't good enough. Here's an example (a bit nsfw) http://i.imgur.com/QmeqG.png
04-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm tempted to call bullsh!t on both Content-Aware-Fill and GIMP-Resynthesize on that desert shot. There's too much new content in the filled-road area, at least in the images I can see here. Are there higher resolution versions available? I've been clone-brushing for years; no WAY does that happen without virtual magic.
04-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #27
Veteran Member

It still takes skill, every example I've seen so far has been full of rendering errors. I think we need better AI's before we can get to a point where the computer and extrapolate data.
04-15-2010, 05:36 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Ira, d'ya wanna buy a Sparq and a bunch of brand new cartridges? It's installed in my NT4 PII right now, but I could remove it for you.

It seemed for a while that whenever I bought some new technology (say, a Quantex computer and a Syquest Sparq), the company would be out of business within a year or two.

That, of course, hasn't happened with Adobe, thank goodness. I bought CS back in 2004, then upgraded to CS3 a couple years ago (though I had to wait till I'd upgraded from OSX 10.3 Panther before installing and using it).

I haven't haven't checked out CS5, but it sounds interesting. My guess is it'll have to wait until I can run 10.6 Snow Leopard--which will require an new (Intel) Mac. My G5 is running great, though, in spite of its being 6 years old. (Good thing my desk is made of real wood. . . .)

But really, people have been manipulating images for over 150 years. Mathew Brady moved dead bodies around (well, he had his assistants do it). Others manipulated in the darkroom. Photoshop made it easier. And CS5 will make it that much easier.

Of course, folks could revert to lugging glass plates around and settling for a handful of exposures per outing. . . .
04-15-2010, 05:38 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
I agree, cs5 really in rediculous! After watching some of the videos I didn't think I was going to need a camera anymore. All you have to do is tell it the kind of photo you want and click enter and there it is.
Something like this you mean-

Imagamma
04-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote

I loved the fact that the Bernoulli Box relied upon the Bernoulli Principle. Elegant engineering at its best!