Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So i just bought a Canon....

....remote cable switch

Went into the local camera shop, and told the lady i would like to buy a canon remote cable switch, so we walked over to the display case adn she asks me which one.
Me"The rs60e3"
Her "What canon do you have?"
Me "I have a ..... Pentax" with a grin

She gives me a funny look, and starts to get a bit rude-
Her" This will only work with canons"
Me "No they work on Pentax too"

Her "Who told you this?"
Me" On a few different internet sites, its basicly exactly the same except it has a canon logo on it"

Her" You know we sell aftermarket one's for pentax"
Me" Yes, but you have none"

So we walk over to the the pentax display (which is one self at the very bottom inside the nikon display. And she see's none is there. So we walk back to the counter and she gets on the computer-
Her"we will have some in 3 weeks, same price as the rs60e3"
Me" its ok i will take the rs60e3"
Her"ok, but it wont work"
Me" Im sure it will, if not my bad"

So i bought it, went home tried it on the camera and works 100% perfect surprise suprise. Feel like ringing up the store just to rub it in lol.

Only one problem, the canon logo. Now where did i put my black electrical tape?

04-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can always join Canikonforums.com and brag that you own something Canon related too. I love it when stores tell you that something isn't going to work on your camera when you absolutely know that it will, and just having that look on your face like "really dude?" It's funny though when it happens to me and I just try not to laugh while I'm there talking to them about it.
04-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Here is the circuit diagram. Not very complicated, exactly why wouldn't this work on a Pentax?
Attached Images

04-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am beginning to wonder if there are any real capable sales people out there, who are there to sell "all" camera equipment, and who really know what its all about.
Me thinks, if so, mighty rare..

I am beginning to think that mention you are a Pentax user and most sales people look at you as if you are from Mars or something.

Great story and I have to add, well done.

04-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I am beginning to wonder if there are any real capable sales people out there, who are there to sell "all" camera equipment, and who really know what its all about.
Me thinks, if so, mighty rare..

I am beginning to think that mention you are a Pentax user and most sales people look at you as if you are from Mars or something.

Great story and I have to add, well done.
Even the most experienced salesperson cannot possibly try every item stocked by a store. They are better being safe rather than sorry by protecting the customer from self created problems.

How simple it would have been to bring your camera into the store to try the device.
That way you would protect yourself and saved the clerk, whom I presume was only human, from an embarrassing situation.

I would never purchase an add on to my camera without first trying it out in the store.
And a good salesperson is always willing to help and advise.

Mickey
04-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah i was going to take my camera in with me but decided not to since i had planned to go to the store after work on the way home and this was the only chance i had on short notice(going camping on friday and need it by then). And that would mean leaving my camera in my car all day in the heat.

The story is more to the fact that the salesperson refuse's to beleive the customer and think they know it all.

At the end of the day, the customer is always right.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 04-21-2010 at 01:17 AM.
04-21-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

When you find a reputable store, with knowledgeable clercks, you stick to them. I thought we had three in Quebec city, now it turns out one of them is only hiring Nikon users as employees, and these employees don't seem interested in learning the particular of other brands. One told me that the Sony mount was not compatible with Minolta lenses... lovely.

My question is : why purchase a Canon branded remote, when you can get one for 3$ on the web? The Canon remote is bound to cost more than that.

04-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I only bought the canon remote because im going camping on friday and it was short notice and this was the only choice i had, a $3 web remote would not have got here in time, if i had more notice about going on this trip i would have got one online
04-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Haha, good story! Unfortunately, I too have had bad experiences at camera shops when I mention that I shoot with a Pentax. However, I think this is because the camera shops I go to don’t carry any Pentax gear and when they find out that you shoot with a product they don’t have they are basically helpless. I have had camera shops try and sell me Nikon and Canon bodies just because they don’t carry Pentax. I mean when you think about it, it does make a lot of sense. If a company doesn’t sell what the customers wants they will try to sell you what they have. It’s the way businesses work and there is nothing we can do to change that.
04-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Canikon switch as per XKCD

04-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
...One told me that the Sony mount was not compatible with Minolta lenses... lovely.
Ever tried to fit a Minolta MC or MD lens on a Sony body
04-26-2010, 02:38 AM   #12

What external flash unit will work well with the Pentax K200D and the Canon SX20?