Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photographers You Admire

Who's books do you own?
Everybody knows the work of Weston and Adams . Many know about Jim Marshall. There are lots of less known but great photographers out there who have published books of their work.
There is a NC photog Named Scott Taylor who published a book called Coastal Waters
I,m proud to own a copy , really nice work with subjects that are from daily life on the coast.
Who are your "less known" favorites?

Last edited by seacapt; 04-20-2010 at 12:08 PM.
04-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Winogrand, Gilden, Bendiksen, Cartier-Bresson, Frank, Parr, Parke, Doisneau.

Great books I own; Winogrand- Public relations, Cartier-Bresson- Parisians, Parke- Minutes to Midnight, Frank- The Americans.

Books I desperately want to own; Winogrand- 1964, Winogrand- Uneasy streets with Garry Winogrand, Parr- Last resort, Gilden- Go, Bendiksen- Satellite, Parke- Dream/Life, Doisneau- Paris, Jens Olof Lasthein- Moments in between.

There's also quite a few other books that I want, I'm trying to build up a big library of photo books.
04-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, a more current photographer, who I don't admire whatsoever because I think that he's a very rude and arrogant person, and he's definitely not the first person who I would want to meet in person (although I actually have once), but I have always been inspired by his photos.

Flickr: Thomas Hawk's Photostream
04-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sarah Helen Harvey - Alt pro, fine art, and documentary
Christopher James - Alt pro, fine art
Brenton Hamilton - All around technical genius

04-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The photographers that I admire (others than Ansell Adams), are Henri Cartier-Bresson and Steve McCurry.

The French photographer Cartier-Bresson, is considered to be the father of modern photojournalism and the master of candid photography. He helped develop the "street photography" or "real life reportage".

While I admire McCurry for his breathtaking shots for NG.
04-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of these photographers are far from less-known, though I don't suppose they're household names compared to Adams.

Wynn Bullock
Paul Caponigro ("Running White Deer" may be my favorite photograph)
Minor White
Henri Cartier-Bresson
Joseph Sudek
John Sexton
Eliot Porter (in particular, Iceland)
Paul Strand

Bill Schwab is another, lesser-known, contemporary photographer whose work I like; I haven't looked for any new work of his for years, but he's very good.

And yes, Cosmo . . . Doisneau. I held back on buying the book featuring his work for Renault, and when I went back, it was gone. Still need to pick that one up.

This thread gives me some new names to look up. . . .
04-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos by Igor Siwanowicz - photo.net

Igor Siwanowicz

and

Flickr: Thomas Shahan's Photostream

Thomas Shahan

04-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

August Sander (17 November 1876 – 20 April 1964)
German Photographer
04-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I recognised the followings from grey goat's posts:

Joseph Sudek
John Sexton
Paul Strand

These photographers are not unknown, but to a lesser extent.
My choice is still Cartier-Bresson and McCurry.

Cheers.
04-21-2010, 01:46 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Jon Cornforth (Seattle area Photographer)
He has shot some of my most favorite landscape and wildlife photography. His underwater whale, seals, and shark photography is unmatched.
His dedication and patience to get to and wait it out on location to get the shots is very admirable as is his ethics about the lack of post processing and photoshopping his photos.

Here are a couple examples of his work:

You can check out his website at Alaska, Hawaii, Washington Pictures, Stock Photos, Photography Tours | Cornforth Images
04-21-2010, 05:13 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
Some of these photographers are far from less-known, though I don't suppose they're household names compared to Adams.

Wynn Bullock
Paul Caponigro ("Running White Deer" may be my favorite photograph)
Minor White
Henri Cartier-Bresson
Joseph Sudek
John Sexton
Eliot Porter (in particular, Iceland)
Paul Strand

Bill Schwab is another, lesser-known, contemporary photographer whose work I like; I haven't looked for any new work of his for years, but he's very good.

And yes, Cosmo . . . Doisneau. I held back on buying the book featuring his work for Renault, and when I went back, it was gone. Still need to pick that one up.

This thread gives me some new names to look up. . . .
John Paul Caponigro just judged the photo contest I was in, the Maine Photography Show: http://www.mainephotographyshow.com/ . I didn't win anything which was fine, but there was an incredible quality of images there and I was really impressed that he was the juror! I love his work too.

I also love Jim Zuckerman, Bryan Peterson and Scott Kelby for their great teaching skills AND photographic skills. And I too have a flickr photographer who is one of my favorites. His name is Paul Bruins and he is a South African photographer who concentrates on vertoramas (sort of making a panorama of two or just a few images that looks like medium format photography, I guess) and this is his photostream: Flickr: Panorama Paul's Photostream He isn't obnoxious or proud in any way, just an incredibly good photographer who takes pictures of amazing places all over South Africa.

Cindy
04-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HypnoCin67 Quote
John Paul Caponigro just judged the photo contest I was in, the Maine Photography Show: http://www.mainephotographyshow.com/ . I didn't win anything which was fine, but there was an incredible quality of images there and I was really impressed that he was the juror! I love his work too.

I also love Jim Zuckerman, Bryan Peterson and Scott Kelby for their great teaching skills AND photographic skills. And I too have a flickr photographer who is one of my favorites. His name is Paul Bruins and he is a South African photographer who concentrates on vertoramas (sort of making a panorama of two or just a few images that looks like medium format photography, I guess) and this is his photostream: Flickr: Panorama Paul's Photostream He isn't obnoxious or proud in any way, just an incredibly good photographer who takes pictures of amazing places all over South Africa.

Cindy
Yes, I like John Paul's work, too!

This is a great thread. I've seen lots of names I should start looking up. I hope some more people take note of it and let us see whose work they admire.
04-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Surprising nobody else has mentioned my favorite, Galen Rowell. I love how he could capture the most amazing light in his landscapes. I try and try to catch light like he did, and it just shows how much I have to learn yet

Jim
04-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know the OP sort of excluded biggies, like Weston, but I just got into Edward Weston, again. It is amazing what he did with shapes and light, and his portraits and nudes are fantastic.
04-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
Pentaxian

For me, it's Ernst Haas, then everyone else follows from there.