Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
500 flash on k-7

I am going to buy a flash for my k-7. But i only use it for bird photography. Can the 500 work with the k-7 at all.
And what does P-TTL mean.

04-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It works, in the sense that the flash fires, but you won't get automatic exposure with the flash. I've tried the unit on my K20D a while back, and there was no automatic exposure. I think it would work in full manual, though I wouldn't recommend it for anything that does not stand still. Calculating flash exposure in the field isn't always easy, though it is useful in some situations.

P-TTL is the system which the flash and camera uses to communicate to ensure correct exposure. This is done through the lens. Not to be confused with "TTL", which is another type of flash-camera-cooperation, primarily found on film bodies, in addition to some of the older Pentax DSLRs.

The AF-540 and AF-360 is fully compatible with Pentax DSLRs. You could also look into the Metz and Sigma flash units, as they may be cheaper.
04-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I will not go that rout. I will look at the Metz and sigma...
04-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Banned

I have the DS2 and AF500FTZ flash with TR Power Pack II and the DS2 was the last Pentax DSLR with TTL flash mode and the only one with 2.5" LCD and pentaprism finder. I also have the AF400T with Quantum Instruments battery pack.

04-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I am going to buy a flash for my k-7. But i only use it for bird photography. Can the 500 work with the k-7 at all.
And what does P-TTL mean.
As noted you can use the flash and the camera will fire it but you'll be adjusting output each time your situation changes. If you are continually (in one sitting) shooting the same type subject, distance, etc that won't be much of a problem. Once you change your setting though, you'll be recalculating the flash output.

Very Simply put, P-TTL is Pentax's proprietary TTL. Each manufacturer has their own (I think Canon is E-TTL).

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I have the DS2 and AF500FTZ flash with TR Power Pack II and the DS2 was the last Pentax DSLR with TTL flash mode and the only one with 2.5" LCD and pentaprism finder. I also have the AF400T with Quantum Instruments battery pack.
Per the database, the DS2 will work with both TTL and P-TTL. The K7 is P-TTL only but you knew that already, right?