Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is Pentax listening?

Does anybody know if Pentax pays any attention to these forums?

04-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
emr

I'm pretty sure Ned Bunnel and John Carlson read the forum every now and then. But how much would they base business decisions on forum chatter? Must be something big to be really notified - like I'm sure they know all about the SDM discussions. Another thing is, how much Pentax Japan actually listens to Pentax USA, which I assume is just a distributor in one bigger market.
04-23-2010, 03:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I concur.
Just how much Pentax Japan listens to Pentax USA or Pentax Europe or other continents? And the comments and feedbacks in PF may be seen as idle chatter by Pentax, therefore no action taken.

Cheers.
04-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it would have to be an unusual company to ignore a treasure trove of feedback like this. When it comes to firming up the design for a new camera, then forums like this have to be an immense help. The value of Pentax forums is it's international participation.

Unfortunately, we've seen in the news any number of previously successful companies who develop such arrogance at the top, they turn a blind eye to feedback. The managers at General Motors for one, even Toyota got themselves into trouble with their computer systems.

The reason i believe Pentax is listening is that their recent successful trend of cameras shows that they are trying really hard. And their ownership by Hoya seems to have put in place a culture of staying on top of their game. Some companies have to pay a lot of money for survey information, when similar information is available for free on these forums.

But these forums are only one of several sources of potential feedback for them - especially in the internet age.

04-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Of course they're listening... What do you think that microphone on the K7 is for, Comrade?

In all seriousness, I agree with philbaum. It's like they have access to free "focus groups" for brainstorming. The dual SD slot idea has been bandied about these forums since the K10D was just a rumor, and now it will finally be out on the 645D. Canon has something similar on their 1D series, but its a CF and an SD. I don't know if either will do a "RAID 1-esque" backup scheme though.
04-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #6

I think knowing what the consumer wants is a major contribution to Pentax's growing success lately. I'm sure they are willing to consider what their community finds important in their products, and what those looking to become involved in the Pentax system want.

An example.

Pentax continues to produce small prime lenses they call Limiteds. This is because the Pentax community appreiciates this idealogy in lenses.

Pentax made the K-x in a variety of different color options, being attractive to those upgrading from point and shoots, where there being multiple color options for a camera is quite common.

QuoteQuote:
The dual SD slot idea has been bandied about these forums since the K10D was just a rumor, and now it will finally be out on the 645D. Canon has something similar on their 1D series, but its a CF and an SD. I don't know if either will do a "RAID 1-esque" backup scheme though.
I think Nikon was the one who really got it right first with the dual card slot on the D3. The two CF slots make storage very efficient when you don't want to worry about a single card.
04-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its interesting that a few of the major retailers, specifically like Adorama has a person who watches the threads, across a number of sites and if something pops up that is local to them, she steps in. She is visible. I would think that Pentax would have at least a person similarly assigned to "watch" - what, about 4 or 5 boards that are specific to Pentax. What they have is technical support via phone, chat or email. Since there is not really a retail presence, its would be difficult for Pentax representatives to collect information as to what folks are looking for and what problems they are having.

Then again - all in all, the major topics that keep popping up are full frame, faster/better auto focus, SMD and why this lens or that lens isn't available.

So, Hoya's hand is now being felt. Its been about 3 camera models now (K7, KX and the 654) that they could have exerted some guidance, however from here on out, I would think that they would have control over the entire design cycle - so the next camera body would be all theirs - in terms of full control.

I would think that at least a marketing person along with a technical type would be assigned. I would also like to think that they pull items that they think would be valuable or interesting to pass in as things to consider.

05-13-2011, 05:41 AM   #8

I hope they ARE listening

Because I'm sick of looking at upgrading my K20d only to have the sales pitch begin with details of a really awesome HD Video feature! I'm not interested in a video camera, I just want a DSLR. Just because we're using consumer DLSRs doesn't mean we are like point n shooters who want an all in one pocket cam! So annoying. So, if you're listening, lots of us do not want video on our DSLR. Thank you.

05-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SAL70 Quote
Because I'm sick of looking at upgrading my K20d only to have the sales pitch begin with details of a really awesome HD Video feature! I'm not interested in a video camera, I just want a DSLR. Just because we're using consumer DLSRs doesn't mean we are like point n shooters who want an all in one pocket cam! So annoying. So, if you're listening, lots of us do not want video on our DSLR. Thank you.
Sorry, the market voted and you lost. dSLR video is here to stay. It's the new "megapixel" war.

I generally agree with you, BTW. And welcome to the forum.

Last edited by rfortson; 05-14-2011 at 06:33 AM.
05-15-2011, 03:29 AM   #10

Re: Is Pentax listening?

Thanks. And yeah, I know you're completely right. It's a shame. I dream they'd release a few alternative models without the video. They might even be surprised if they become the sought after models.
Cheers
05-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Be aware that some of us DO want video on our DSLRs and it's a determining factor in whether we upgrade or not.
05-15-2011, 04:32 AM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

And there's certainly no harm in having both on the one camera - and I'm sure it doesn't cost a great deal more to implement the technology in dSLRs.
05-15-2011, 04:33 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SAL70 Quote
But does it really matter?
I never use video on my DSLR's and honestly don't even know its there. And it didn't affect my upgrade decision any.
I guess the issue would come down to how much the video option addds to the total cost of the camera. Still... I found the K-5 to be very competitive with other APS-C camera's and so I just didn't consider it to be an issue.
05-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
And there's certainly no harm in having both on the one camera - and I'm sure it doesn't cost a great deal more to implement the technology in dSLRs.
I think you're right. I think the new sensor technology makes video a relatively simple thing, so why not include it? Even inexpensive cellphones have video these days.
05-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #15
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Its interesting that a few of the major retailers, specifically like Adorama has a person who watches the threads, across a number of sites and if something pops up that is local to them, she steps in. She is visible.
That must be me, then!

But for those that don't know, if you ever need advice or after-sales support with any order from Adorama, I'm only an email away: Helen@adorama.com