Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How much to ask for licensing a photo

Well, I've had a "first": a design firm that is developing an exhibit for the University of Notre Dame has contacted me through Flickr to explore their licensing on of my photographs for use in the exhibit. Although I've asked this person for more information, all I know is what he included in his message:
QuoteQuote:
We are currently working on a project with the University of Notre Dame. We are creating an exhibit wall that includes photographs in and around the campus. We happened upon your beautiful photograph of the Basilica Seats and wanted to find out if you would be open to discussing usage of this for the exhibit. The exhibit is a permanent exhibit. We would need to have exclusive usage rights for the photo. We would also need to find out the image resolution, size, and cost.
What do you think I should suggest for the cost, assuming that it will be limited to just permanent display on a gallery wall somewhere on campus. If I learn that other uses are expected--especially commercial--then that changes the pictured dramatically (pardon the pun). I'm also wondering how an exclusive rights term should effect pricing. That said, I would like the photo included in the exhibit.

For those who are interested, here's the image (K10D, Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm/2.8 at f/2.8, 1/13 sec., ISO 800):

04-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've learned more about the exhibit. My photo will be included in a permanent exhibit in the University's Development Office as a part of a privacy wall. It would be enlarged to 96" wide x 69.25" tall in a series of 20+ photos. No other use, commercial or otherwise by the University is planned, and we could renegotiate additional usage if the University later wanted to pursue it.

That's a large use, a commercial pro would charge out the wazoo for it. Does anyone have any ideas of what to propose as a charge?
04-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

You could nose around stock photography sites to try to find some prices.

Out of the blue, I would say $250 for you, and they obviously pay for all the reproduction, etc.
04-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's a privacy wall?

But unlike K, my figure is a little different:

$2,500.

They contacted you...they want it for exclusive use forever...and a university pays thousands for individual works of art.

If you want it there, just donate it. If you want to make a buck, don't undersell it.

The two motivations are totally different things.

04-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Another point:

You happen to already have shot the photo. If they contracted a guy to come in and HOPEFULLY give them what they want, $2,500 is a bargain.
04-23-2010, 02:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I tend to go with Ira's comment.
But not $2.5K. Maybe from the range of $1.5K to $2K will suffice in my opinion.
Have a nice weekend.

Cheers.
04-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Using it exclusively, in a non-print medium doesn't warrant a higher amount - it is like buying a photograph at an art fair - you pay no matter how long you hang it at your house. Same way, you ask for a certain amount for public display - might be slightly higher than say a private sale since they will make some money off of it (assuming).

Also, include a condition to show your name/contact along with the picture.

04-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

IMHO some insane prices were suggested for merely hanging a picture on a wall. Exclusive rights, of course, are another matter and would warrant a higher cost.

What is particular to this situation is that the customer is the owner of the premises. So if your price is too high they may simply ask a photographer to remake that picture, perhaps in better lighting conditions, for less.

In all likelihood the university already has a staff photographer, or one the hire frequently, that would do it for a small amount. Say they have a pro already shooting a random event, they ask him to take these particular shot and deliver a print they can hang in their wall. How much would the pro charge in that situation?

I think SpecialK suggested a fair price considering the amount of work on your part. Does anyone really think the picture is worth more than the camera and lens that took it? Sure some pictures might be, but I doubt one of a static object available any time for shooting again is the case.
04-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You sparked my interest ... so I did a search, with some interesting results:

At 6648 sq inches exceeds Photovault's 4800 sq inch price of $800 by some margin - say a $1000 based on the size and doubling it for the exclusivity?

Coolwater - has an interesting approach - given that they are requesting exclusivity across all uses, thus total ownership and period of use is forever - they push the price substantially higher.

Looking at the book at google - figure 12, has a unrestricted exclusive factor of 4x. It also has some interesting views on how to negotiate.

Also horticultrualphoto puts a 3.5x factor on their Buyouts/exclusive rights to use in a specific field...

Then weighing all of this against a professional session fee (~$500 - $1,000) to re-take the image plus their fee for the image, upwards of $2,500 may not be so outrageous.

... also I think that a small plaque with attribution to your work would be nice "bragging rights".

The last item I can add is "he who utters the first number - looses". I would ask them what the usually fee would be for this type of imagery since this is not your area of expertise. Then you can judge if any of the above information is worthily at all.
04-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
IMHO some insane prices were suggested for merely hanging a picture on a wall. Exclusive rights, of course, are another matter and would warrant a higher cost.

What is particular to this situation is that the customer is the owner of the premises. So if your price is too high they may simply ask a photographer to remake that picture, perhaps in better lighting conditions, for less.

In all likelihood the university already has a staff photographer, or one the hire frequently, that would do it for a small amount. Say they have a pro already shooting a random event, they ask him to take these particular shot and deliver a print they can hang in their wall. How much would the pro charge in that situation?

I think SpecialK suggested a fair price considering the amount of work on your part. Does anyone really think the picture is worth more than the camera and lens that took it? Sure some pictures might be, but I doubt one of a static object available any time for shooting again is the case.
curious here... if you don't mind, how much do you suggest? thanks in advance.