Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

retro film look

Hi all,

Firstly, let me just say sorry if this post is in the wrong section, I wasn't entirely sure where it would fit.

Long story short, I need to recreate a retro look (maybe 70s? doesnt have to be that specific) in some photographs. I'd quite like to do it the old fashioned way with film rather than with photoshop; adding custom curve responses to digi images.

I was wondering if anyone has advice on what currently available 35mm film I could use to achieve this retro character? colour is preferable to B&W here by the way.

Ill post some links to something like the effect im after...

http://www.golden-agetv.co.uk/img/equipment/325b.jpg
Color clash on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
1970s playground color shapes on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
1960s London, England (003) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

None of these completely sum up what I mean but hopefully you can get the idea.

Any thoughts folks?

04-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
The effect you're seeing in some of these photos is the result of aging prints. As photos age, the blues and greens fade from the photo, leaving that odd yellowed tone. Also, fashion changes over time, and you'll see combinations of colours in clothing and furniture that look subtly unfamiliar. Think about that avacado green that was once popular for elecrical appliances, such as telephones.

A choice of film isn't going to help, here, unless you can get an old Poloriod camera, take your shots and then age the photos in an oven for days.

Photoshop is probably the best way to go about this, combined with a sense of 70s fashion.
04-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Take a stroll through this thread in the Film SLR forum. You may find that some people are using expired and or cheap film to get certain effects. Sometimes the film needs a little help with a filthy filter on your lens or a little PP.
04-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is also cross-processing as an option -- it can be a quick way to some moderate to extreme effects. However I am not sure about the availability of the development processses that used to make these sorts of experiments possible. I suppose if you are doing your own development you can experiment with completely wrong chemicals, coffee and tea, etc.

05-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks very much for the input folks. very useful
05-01-2010, 04:40 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
There is also cross-processing as an option
It's also a crapshoot.

Believe it or not, a LOT of those peculiar effects come not from the film, but from the lenses used. Cheap crown glass or clear acrylic, uncoated or single-coated lenses - which may only have been applied to the objective lens of the two-element, two-group lens.
05-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ordering prints and do scanning on them might add to the effect.

Use of some well known or professional films, that havn't changed their colours is an option. Trying to get new old stock - even better.
Kodachrome, velvia, Kodak pro 160, ektar, provia, portra 160NC.

Try a medium format camera. It's shallow/different dof will make the photo look less ordinary. Get a 5$ box camera.
Flickr: Box Camera Revolution

Just my 0.02$.