Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Coming back to focus technique, there is a elaborate claim on focusing on infinity vs focusing on hyperfocal distance in website I mentioned in the original post. As per author, focusing on Infinity able to resolve subject much better than focusing on hyperfocal distance. Opinion?
Unfortunately the author did not compare a similar shot using the hyperfocal rule. I'm guessing they would be about the same. Also, he is shooting at a small aperture (f16) that many people avoid for fear of refraction degrading the image.

04-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Comparison shot is available in pdf pointed by that web site. I am, mobile right now but can find the exact link and post here.
04-29-2010, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #18
Inactive Account

Coming back to focus technique, there is a elaborate claim on focusing on infinity vs focusing on hyperfocal distance in website I mentioned in the original post. As per author, focusing on Infinity able to resolve subject much better than focusing on hyperfocal distance. Opinion?
The argument is relatively fundamental. This is a good treatment: Hyperfocal distance revisited - using depth of field concepts in photographic composition - page 2 | PSA Journal

There are tradeoffs to everything of course. Hyperfocal distance allows the photographer to set his lens in such a manner that he does not need to mess with focusing.

That's where this argument might become somewhat specious... even you couched it this way: " focusing on infinity vs focusing on hyperfocal distance."

I simply would answer that you do not focus on hyperforcal distance, you SET it. There is a BIG difference when you are a combat or press photographer and you have once chance at something that's going to happen or is happening fast.

It's a tool. Knowing how to use it could mean getting the shot.

If you are using Blackberry, here is handy free DOFCalc
http://widgety.biz/DOFcalc/DOFcalc.jad
Dad taught me hyperforcal distance. He was a press photographer. When he taught me he demonstrated the math verbally. He did it by way of showing me the scales... and what the assumptions and math were behind those scales.

He could do the math in his head. Quickly. They all could. It was their stock in trade. It meant bringing home the bacon.

Use infinity by all means. But understand and practice hyperforcal once in a while. It is actually pretty liberating, it DOES work, and it can be very, very fast.

woof!
04-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Woof is pretty spot on.

I tried it with a few wide Super taks on my K10D ... and took it out in the field (courier/delivering) ... and shot anything that seemed interesting ... while in the driver's side. Stationary of course in traffic. The good thing was I had Hyperfocal set for the Aperture I was set to. Good thing it was a nice bright day. Worked a treat ... I could just pick up the camera and shoot without mucking around with anything.

05-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I don't believe there is one answer to this. If I am shooting extremely low, using my 12-24 and the main interest is the foreground, I focus in the first 2-3 feet or to the main subject within the foreground. From there I would choose the F stop based on the Backgound or time of day. Its a great question and something I am still learning. changing the len will also make me change the focus point. I focus differently on wide angles versus zooms. Cheers JIM
05-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

For the ultra-wides, I set MF at near-infinity. The AF often sets focus behind the infinity mark, which soften the image significantly.

A generic DOF-calculator can be found here:
Digital SLR DoF Calculator MIDlet for Mobile Phones

Usable on most cells that support java/J2ME.
05-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I look at my aperture and mf so the dof has infinity at the end.

If I don't have a dof scale I kinda guesstimate.

Unfortunately that dof calculator app doesn't work on my blackberry curve

Last edited by Eruditass; 05-03-2010 at 01:04 AM.
05-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Hyper focal length vs. DOF

Hi everyone,
Used my M* for this shot yesterday, pre-focused at infinity,set apeture at f/16
when I viewed thru split prism noticed arch leg wasnt dead-on in prism.
the M* is a little differnt from other lenses in that there is almost a full degree
of throw left on helicoid beyond infinity, in my case, a little "tweak" past
infinity showed dead on in split prism. my location was about 5 miles from arch.
Have heard "extra throw" is for expansion and contraction, does it also
relate to this discussion?
Attached Images

05-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Hi everyone,
Used my M* for this shot yesterday, pre-focused at infinity,set apeture at f/16
when I viewed thru split prism noticed arch leg wasnt dead-on in prism.
If the lens wasn't stopped down when you looked thru the prism, you adjusted for focus with the lens wide open. The viewfinder doesn't show the actual DOF of the eventual photo.
05-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Dad taught me hyperforcal distance. He was a press photographer. When he taught me he demonstrated the math verbally. He did it by way of showing me the scales... and what the assumptions and math were behind those scales.

He could do the math in his head. Quickly. They all could. It was their stock in trade. It meant bringing home the bacon.

Use infinity by all means. But understand and practice hyperforcal once in a while. It is actually pretty liberating, it DOES work, and it can be very, very fast.

woof!
For the lenses (and apertures) that I like to shoot with, the hyperfocal distance is 10 to 20 feet, if I were to calculate it out - and actually use my math degree. With the distance scale on the lens, it boils down to setting it to infinity and then backing off a bit. It works. I do wish that they would continue putting the verier scales on the lenses, but it must be the etching and paint costs. It turns out to be no big deal.

Just remember, Kelly Johnson (U2 and SR71 fame) once said that it would take him a month to write a computer program to lay everything out - or two weeks with his slide rule.

05-10-2010, 12:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

For DoF markings on older lenses, does using them on a smaller format sensor with different CoC change how we should use the guide markings?
05-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Both of my Pentax zooms have no DOF scale on them. I like to use hyperfocal distances on landscape work, so I have added hyperfocal marks on the lenses. I used prime lenses to know where to put the marks. Each focal length shown on the barrel is represented by a colored mark. I use two sets of marks, one for f/32 and another for f/11. I can extrapolate when using f-stops between these.
05-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Yusuf,
I found this and thought it might be of interest to you, I bought a metric set and for the modern lenses which have no D.O.F scale they are a god send.
ExpoImaging - ExpoAperture2 Depth-of-Field Guide
Alistair