Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
picture problem

This past week, some of my digital pictures showed up wrong in my camera club competition. They were all verticals, but they showed up sideways. I KNOW they were oriented right on my home computer, but somehow they got scrambled in emailing them to our competition chairman. In thinking about it, I hit upon a common denominator that I think may have caused the problem. I had entered 4 verticals in our competition and 3 of them displayed wrong. Of those 4 verticals, 1 was imported into my home computer using a card reader. The 3 that displayed wrong were all imported directly from my DSLR. Now, I'm wondering if the "Auto Image Rotation" was the culprit and needs to be turned off when importing from my DSLR. Have any of the rest of you run into something like this?

04-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot of viewing software doesn't recognize in camera rotation information. Windows media viewer (or whatever it's called) is one of them, IIRC.
FInd out what software your camera club is using and then research a little on how to make your files behave with it.
You will probably find that you need to manually rotate the images in that software.
04-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
A lot of viewing software doesn't recognize in camera rotation information. Windows media viewer (or whatever it's called) is one of them, IIRC.
FInd out what software your camera club is using and then research a little on how to make your files behave with it.
You will probably find that you need to manually rotate the images in that software.

Windows 7 Explorer does show them rotated.

04-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If it shows up rotated on your computer, it might be because the EXIF orientation value is being used. Should this be the case, then the actual image would still be on its side pixel-wise, and would thus appear on its side outside of specialized photo software.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Windows 7 Explorer does show them rotated.

That's nice to know. It's possible that his camera club hasn't updated to 7, I suppose.
04-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. Based on what I'm hearing, I'm thinking that it's probably our viewing software that's not reading the auto-orientation info. The guy who set up our competition procedures loves freeby software so we're probably using something pretty basic. The easiest fix for me is to just go back to using my card reader when importing pics. That's how I had always brought pics into my computer up until this last competition and I'd never had any problems. Here's the funny part of this whole deal. The club loved one of the sideways pics. They were talking about what a good idea it was to shoot at such an unusual angle ...and another one of the sideways pics got a perfect score! LOL
04-30-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Thanks, guys. Based on what I'm hearing, I'm thinking that it's probably our viewing software that's not reading the auto-orientation info. The guy who set up our competition procedures loves freeby software so we're probably using something pretty basic. The easiest fix for me is to just go back to using my card reader when importing pics. That's how I had always brought pics into my computer up until this last competition and I'd never had any problems. Here's the funny part of this whole deal. The club loved one of the sideways pics. They were talking about what a good idea it was to shoot at such an unusual angle ...and another one of the sideways pics got a perfect score! LOL
I love camera clubs.