Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Street photography question

I was reading an article on the online photographer, yesterday. It was a story of the celebration of the Passion in Spain. There were photos from Peter Turnley. I thought they were wonderful images. The Online Photographer: The Faces of Semana Santa, Seville, Spain

I love the image with the young girl in white flanked by the men in black hoods and the image with the ladies with their lace head dresses.

I really liked the images that involved close up portrait type photos yet still gave a sense of the surroundings. Obviously, the artistry is all with the photographer. But, it got me wondering what Pentax lens would allow me to obtain that perspective. I suspect a WA was used. Do you think this could be done with say 21 mm or would you need to go wider like the 15 mm?

04-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

28mm on full frame. For digital, kit lens at the wide end, or 21mm would do.
04-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Inactive Account

If you want the background OOF you'd want to use a fast WA & most importantly, get as close as you possibly can. I love to get close up portraits with a WA but, it is not easy due to how close you have to be. IMO, if you are willing to fork out the cash, the DA 21mm would probably be better than the kit lens as it's smaller & thus a little less intimidating.
04-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. I knew that it had to be a wide angle but just wasn't sure on how wide I had to go. Also, I was surprised that some of the photos he was able to limit the DOF given the use of a WA. I guess he must have been pretty close with a fairly wide aperture. I have a A 24 but have thought about getting the 21 or 15 mostly for the AF. I know that as you go a few mm wider the fov changes are more pronounced when dealing with the wide end.

04-30-2010, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those shots were taken by Nikon D3 with 28mm lens.
Mostly at f2.8 which would explain the dof... and there is your problem.
To mimic that FOV/DOF you would need 18/2.0 lens. Unfortunately there isn't anythig remotely close...
21/3.2 would mimic ~31/4 and 15ltd would be closest to 20/5.6 on FF!
Your artistry with playing with DOF will be much more limited there....
BR
Peter
04-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter. I knew that the answer was going to be expensive! Wow, and that doesn't even include the expense to Spain I guess it is FOV or DOF but not both. I think the 21 is calling me again. Help... I can't stop the ringing...

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
To mimic that FOV/DOF you would need 18/2.0 lens. Unfortunately there isn't anythig remotely close...
BR
Peter
04-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Thanks Peter. I knew that the answer was going to be expensive! Wow, and that doesn't even include the expense to Spain I guess it is FOV or DOF but not both. I think the 21 is calling me again. Help... I can't stop the ringing...
I know how do you feel!
FA*24 has been calling my name for few months now... so far I'm strong... but there are few cracks appearing in my wall....

05-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #8

I don't know much about the op's question, but if the solution is the focal length/aperture combo mentioned above, there is a sigma lens that is 20 mm f1.8.
05-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess someone else had the same inquiring mind.

Field notes and late night rambing: Peter Turnley's head, hands and feet
05-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

^^^

I don't know why he's kicking up such a fuss over him using a wide lens, lots of journalists only use wide lenses.
05-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

BR
Peter
I can understand the change in the equivalent angle of view but aperture?
05-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I'd think that any FL would do for the FOV, depending on how close the subject distance is. A 15mm to 28mm would likely let the photographer get closer and reduce the chances of other ppl obstructing the subject.
The shallower DOF, I'm not too sure, but shooting at f2.8 might be able to do it. I can't be too sure though as I often shoot at f4 to 5.6.

Here are some shot using 24mm (f4-5.6 though)

05-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know how do you feel!
FA*24 has been calling my name for few months now... so far I'm strong... but there are few cracks appearing in my wall....
Yep, I held out for a long time, but broke down a few weeks ago and bought the FA*24F/2.0. It is a really nice lens. 24mm is my most used focal length. I have 7 24mm lenses. Of course Like you, I use manual focus so it is easy...

For street, I prefer deep DOF. I am not a huge fan of shallow DOF though in some cases it does work to isolate the subject. That of course is just me. The nice thing about the DA21 which is my next used focal length, is that there is much more room for error as is with the Sigma 10-20..28mm works ok as well, but that is pretty much the limit for me.
05-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I can understand the change in the equivalent angle of view but aperture?
Not the aperture as such but DOF provided by the FL/f stop combination. f2.8 lens on APSC will not yield the same DOF as the f2.8 on FF.
Therefore to get the same image from APSC sensor as compared to FF you have to change both focal length (roughly 1.5x) and f stop (roughly 1 stop difference).
For example shot taken on FF with 43ltd @f2 would require 28/1.4 lens to achieve the same framing/magnification/DOF from the same shooting position..
my 2p

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Yep, I held out for a long time, but broke down a few weeks ago and bought the FA*24F/2.0. It is a really nice lens. 24mm is my most used focal length. I have 7 24mm lenses. Of course Like you, I use manual focus so it is easy...

For street, I prefer deep DOF. I am not a huge fan of shallow DOF though in some cases it does work to isolate the subject. That of course is just me. The nice thing about the DA21 which is my next used focal length, is that there is much more room for error as is with the Sigma 10-20..28mm works ok as well, but that is pretty much the limit for me.
Javier, now you are just teasing! I have just sold K24/2.8 because it was MF only. My main intent behind this lens was indoors when 31 is not wide enough. It turned out that I got many more keepers with 31 (even if I had to back a step or two) than trying to MF the 24. The focus throw just wasn't big enough, and I for one like shallow DOF... so the 24mm FA* makes sense to me... Now I just need to gather the funds ....