Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2010, 02:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to correct Wb

A friends three year old climbed my ladder, the sun behind her looked nice on her hair so I shot this using the flash 1/100 f16. What could I have done to avoid the lower part of the sky going white.
Thanks.
Oh, using a borrowed computer at present and have only elements 7. What can I do to open RAW files as there is no Bridge with elements?
Thanks

05-02-2010, 02:15 AM   #2

Original Poster
with regard to question of white balance

I seem to have lost the photo, so here it is.
Attached Images

05-02-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think wb has anything to do with this. The sky is white because it's overexposed.
05-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Nice shot. I love the the light in the hairs of the girl.

By the way, I would suggest that you regroup this thread and your earlier thread (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/99982-how-correct-white-balance.html) into a single thread, for the benefits of the Pentax Forums users.

05-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
A friends three year old climbed my ladder, the sun behind her looked nice on her hair so I shot this using the flash 1/100 f16. What could I have done to avoid the lower part of the sky going white.
Thanks.
Oh, using a borrowed computer at present and have only elements 7. What can I do to open RAW files as there is no Bridge with elements?
Thanks
Use a CPL filter to prevent the sky from blowing out. With a fill flash, you should have been able to decrease the exposure of the sky without the need for a polarizer though.
05-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Thanks.
Thanks
Used 1/200? If something is overexposed, you just need to use a faster shutter speed/lower ISO/narrower aperture.
05-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The lower part of the sky is blown because it is to bright to do anything else.
A higher shutter speed would probably be the best bet.
I'm thinking high speed sync might have saved the day on this one.

Generally, with fill flash, you want to set the camera's ambient exposure to properly expose the background, and then set the flash to properly expose the subject.

05-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

while a polerizer will help I don;t think there is much you can do to protect against a blown out sky with a back lit subject,

You exposed the subject correctly and let the rest fall where it wants to,

photography is never perfect, you only have limited range with the sensor
05-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Thanks.
Thanks
With Photoshop, I just double click the PEF file from explorer and it opens in Adobe Camera RAW.

05-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The photo looks like it was shot in a studio with a white screen background. So what if the sky is not blue? It's still a nice photo. With such a strong back light there's not much else you can do except shoot HDR.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365
05-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
With Photoshop, I just double click the PEF file from explorer and it opens in Adobe Camera RAW.

+1 Sometimes you just don't get a do over on an image and you have to work with what you got.

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
The photo looks like it was shot in a studio with a white screen background. So what if the sky is not blue? It's still a nice photo. With such a strong back light there's not much else you can do except shoot HDR.

michael mckee
That is along the lines of what I was thinking but not the HDR part.
05-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #12

Or you could go the easy way and shoot RAW, and use full screen metering. (Assuming you used center/spot metering for the original). You'll have more leeway in PP to adjust for overall acceptable exposure.

Just would like to reiterate earlier post that this is not related to white balance, but exposure.
05-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #13

Thanks.
Thanks
Hi trishytee, I believe this is where your AE-L button will come in handy. Meter the sky behind your subject and press AE-L ( now the camera will expose the sky correctly) recompose and shoot with flash ( flash will take care of the subject exposure ) as in your original shot. As your subject is quite large in the frame you may find you need to change to "spot metering" to get a more accurate measure of the sky. You may lose the highlights in the hair with less exposure of the sky, so you will need to readjust to a slightly less bright part of the sky before you lock exposure with the AE-L. Much easier to do than to explain! Hope this helps, have fun.