Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
they need it because they want the pieces in place to give pro level support for the 645D being available outside of japan - that's my guess anyway
Ding ding ding. I agree. I see this progressing into the beginning stages of a good pro support system. It's no coincidence that it's in Manhattan. Sure there's the consumer part of it. Manhattan is a good place to sell cameras. Lots of people and lots of technology lovers. But what's really going on in NYC is the biggest concentration of pro shooters. Especially the high end, studio/commercial shooters who are likely to be all over MF anyways. But any high end shooter won't touch a camera if they can't get support, spare parts, and pro rentals/repair down the street. No pro would touch a camera that's nearest support was Japan, or even Golden, CO. No matter how good and affordable it was. I hope this is one of the ways they're going with it.

07-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FunkyMonk Quote
Does anyone think that Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops would be a good place to market Pentax cameras?
I would think those would at least be a great market for the W P&S series. I don't know about how the K-7 and wr lenses woud sell there. But I would think fishermen would be all about a small waterproof, clipable point and shoot with a floatable accessory. That's perfect for hanging out in a boat catchin bass.
07-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Could some Pentax users in NY post some photos of the interior and exterior so that tourists not from NY and for the benefit of everyone else, know how the place looks like?
I only work about three blocks away from Willoughby's, and my office is closing early tomorrow, so I'll try to snap a few shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
By all accounts, all this new "boutique shop" is is a counter at the front of the store. When I read the phrase "Pentax shop" I think of something akin to the Apple Store... not just a counter shared with Leica that MAYBE has a dedicated salesman.

Don't get me wrong... I think any presence in a B&M store is great and hopefully is a sign that intelligence and consumer understanding has finally prevailed at Pentax marketing, but blowing it up and trying to glamourize it by calling it a boutique is disingenuous.

Just get gear back in the stores where people can touch and feel it... make them worth the stores carrying them andconvince the salesmen that they are every bit as good and often much better than any similarly priced competitor.

Mike
Yes, it's certainly not a new Pentax "store" or "boutique." It's a big display in a a foyer type of area in the front of the store. The have a few cameras and a bunch of lenses behind glass, and a bunch of K-x bodies in different colors out for people to touch. On each side of the display case, there are two flat screens that run "Uncle Jack" and other Pentax footage on loop. There weren't any salespeople hanging out in that area when I stopped in this week.

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Ding ding ding. I agree. I see this progressing into the beginning stages of a good pro support system. It's no coincidence that it's in Manhattan. Sure there's the consumer part of it. Manhattan is a good place to sell cameras. Lots of people and lots of technology lovers. But what's really going on in NYC is the biggest concentration of pro shooters. Especially the high end, studio/commercial shooters who are likely to be all over MF anyways. But any high end shooter won't touch a camera if they can't get support, spare parts, and pro rentals/repair down the street. No pro would touch a camera that's nearest support was Japan, or even Golden, CO. No matter how good and affordable it was. I hope this is one of the ways they're going with it.
And TOURISTS! Don't forget, Willoughby's is right by the Empire State Building, and the area is crawling with tourists.
07-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PrimeObjectif Quote
And TOURISTS! Don't forget, Willoughby's is right by the Empire State Building, and the area is crawling with tourists.
Oh, yes! Tourists need colorful K-x's!!!

07-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/primeobjectif-albums-willoughby-s...3-willo-06.jpg
07-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Lookin' good, Pentax! Gotta love that black and red.
07-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Lookin' good, Pentax! Gotta love that black and red.
That's the Leica half of the room! :P
07-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the pictures, looking good

12-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #39
Forum Member

That Blue one looks freaking cool! It's also my favorite color! LOL
12-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #40
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice looking store.
Would be great having one in some other places, like Australia .
12-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #41
Site Supporter

It'd be nice to have such a shop here in the Atlanta area. Wolf/Ritz has stopped carrying Pentax, and their flagship store here in Atlanta seems disdainful of the marque. Showcase, an independent (and otherwise very good) shop pushes Canon and Nikon. I think they may carry Olympus, Leica, and maybe some MF stuff. Maybe they'll wise up with the new 645 digital blowing away the competition ....
01-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
they should do this at henrys flagship in toronto (vistek also has them, but when i was in at christmas the showcase was empty, they has sold all the demos off due to inventory)