Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 03:02 AM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
Am I right in thinking the 35mm isn't even SDM?

It's a good price point, and it fills a gap for those of us without a stock of old lenses (think of all the new K-m K-x buyers) but if it's not SDm then I'd be looking to get a Sigma HSM standard prime instead if I were buying now.
You can be assured that the 35/2.4 is a screwdriven plastic fantastic.
If you've got the money, of course you'd go for the Sigma 30/1.4 HSM

09-09-2010, 03:24 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
What a strange product. While the K-r sounds like a great camera, I wish they'd also announced an upgrade to the K-7. While I love my K10 dearly, its low-light performance leaves much to be desired compared to the competition, and from what I've heard/read this hasn't changed much in the K20 OR the K7.

I guess I'm just kind of impatient to see what they have in store for the enthusiast/semipro bodies.
09-09-2010, 03:27 AM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's at least one stop improvement in high-ISO performance from K10D to K20D/K-7, but the new K-5 will prove a vast improvement from the K10D - you'll find your lenses all transform quite drastically, both in AF speed and low-light capability.
Enjoy waiting - less than 2 weeks now...
09-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #19

I am often irritated by the quality of the LCD on my K-x. If they have improved the LCD in addition to making it larger then I may be trading her in for the K-r. I always regretted not buying the white one anyways.

09-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #20

Where's the BIG primes? FFS!
09-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by purri Quote
Where's the BIG primes? FFS!
Which ones do you mean?
09-09-2010, 05:33 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I want the white one. Kinda cool. I will be different in the jungle with a white and black body.... I cannot wait.
I am so glad they didn't screw up the sensor.

09-09-2010, 05:56 AM   #23
Inactive Account

I am excited about the AF assist and visible focus indicators. I wish I have those on my K-x. I would love to trade in the K-x, but I don't want to put up an extra few hundreds for such upgrade. If I do upgrade, I would love to get the white one this time.
09-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Y couldn't this be WR? the wife wants a new camera to replace her K100d but she wants a WR camera.
I guess I'll have to give her my K-7 and get the K-5 in Oct.
09-09-2010, 06:14 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You can be assured that the 35/2.4 is a screwdriven plastic fantastic.
If you've got the money, of course you'd go for the Sigma 30/1.4 HSM

...which doesn't have HSM in Pentax mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Y couldn't this be WR? the wife wants a new camera to replace her K100d but she wants a WR camera.
I guess I'll have to give her my K-7 and get the K-5 in Oct.
The entry-level cameras have never been WR (for comparison, you have to go to a D300 to get weatherseals from Nikon), nor have the DA-L lenses.

Last edited by MrCynical; 09-09-2010 at 06:20 AM.
09-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
...which doesn't have HSM in Pentax mount.

The entry-level cameras have never been WR (for comparison, you have to go to a D300 to get weatherseals from Nikon), nor have the DA-L lenses.
Is this not slotted as mid-level?
09-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice sounding camera. What is the part about k & M leneses working in av at only wide open aperture? Hope this is incorrect!

Marketing wise, hate that they have ditched the K-x name. We finally get a camera that sells well and has a lot of good press and they change the name. Unless they aim to keep the K-x in the line up too.

Ready for the K-5 announcing later in the year.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #33 in compact camera forums. Enter #34. Any brand camera. Enter now!
09-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Nice sounding camera. What is the part about k & M leneses working in av at only wide open aperture? Hope this is incorrect!
Where did you see that? And isn't that consistent with all Pentax DSLRs? K and M lenses have no electrical contacts to communicate aperture data, and the DSLRs can't continuously stop the lens down to properly operate Av, so Av mode only works when wide open because the lens is basically stuck there until the shot is taken.

However, manual works great with the "green" button or whatever button you use to meter in manual.
09-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
My opinion can be found here, where I answer most of your questions.

No idea what the IQ might be, but it better be OUTSTANDING given the low specs and high price.

great comments!
09-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There's at least one stop improvement in high-ISO performance from K10D to K20D/K-7, but the new K-5 will prove a vast improvement from the K10D - you'll find your lenses all transform quite drastically, both in AF speed and low-light capability.
Enjoy waiting - less than 2 weeks now...
I hope so. I'm buying another body and hope it's the K5. My K10D has been a great camera, but I need a second body and better performance in several areas!