Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
He could be referring to the film era cameras, but that'd seem silly.

And hey man, if you tilt the x in my k-x to the right a bit, and the italicize it a bit more, it'll look like an r.

03-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
We have a comparison page with all the Pentax models on it- shouldn't take hours to browse that See the 'Cameras' dropdown button!
03-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Let's see... (currently in production or coming out this year, which means factories are making them already)
Canon has:
1100D, 600D, 60D, 7D, 5D MkII, 5D MkIII, 1Ds MkIV, 1Dx

Nikon has
J1, V1, D3100, D5100, D7000, D800, D4

then Pentax has (like mentioned before here)
Q, K-01, K-5. Note that the K-r is out of production and just clearing stocks in stores.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in the model details, thanks!
03-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Nikon: D300s

Pentax: 645D

And that's not including the dozens? of P&S's that Canon and Nikon each have.

03-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Nikon: D300s Pentax: 645D And that's not including the dozens? of P&S's that Canon and Nikon each have.
Ah, thanks for those additions btw is the Canon 1Ds III still in production? the 1D IV is APS-H... I don't know if it totally replaced the MkIII
03-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Let's see... (currently in production or coming out this year, which means factories are making them already)
Canon has:
1100D, 600D, 60D, 7D, 5D MkII, 5D MkIII, 1Ds MkIV, 1Dx
Canon has 3 'rebels' on sale right now, the 50D can still be purchased, and both the 1Ds Mkiii and the 1D MkIV can still be purchased, THe 1Dx can't be purchased right now as far as I know (not your definition, but it's mine).

So by my count there's 10 DSLR's on sale right now by Canon.
03-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

given the dismal Pentax US marketing in the 18 months since this announcement i have to think they must be shopping for a new agency. because i really don't see how these guys have raised the US profile at all.
03-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #23
Site Supporter

I know. The only memorable thing to come out of that agency is the WG-2 covered in <insert euphemism here>.

Let's get some real advertising going.

03-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I know. The only memorable thing to come out of that agency is the WG-2 covered in <insert euphemism here>.

not exactly the image Pentax needs

but who ever signed off on that photo at Pentax should be on the chopping block, because agencies don't put out ads without someone signing off
03-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #25
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
given the dismal Pentax US marketing in the 18 months since this announcement i have to think they must be shopping for a new agency. because i really don't see how these guys have raised the US profile at all.
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
not exactly the image Pentax needs

but who ever signed off on that photo at Pentax should be on the chopping block, because agencies don't put out ads without someone signing off
Well P-USA did put out that Help Wanted for a Trade Show Coordinator / Marketing Guru / Internet Website Expert last month. They finally got an image of the K-01 up on the front page of the P-USA website - 6 weeks after the product launch.

I wanted to ensure I wasn't making an error when I state it seems P-USA has outsourced virtually all of their business functions. I can't imagine them having more than a few employees in a flourescent office in a converted flat warehouse. I Googled around and found a Denver Post article and news release from last summer (I think) announcing P-USA had moved from Golden to downtown Denver with 50 employees!! I want to ask, "What on earth do these 50 people do all day?" but I shouldn't because one of them might read this.
03-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I really don't know what they do, because I feel like Mrs. ElJamoquio and I could do a better job.
03-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #27
Lens Buying Addict

Well, we couldn't, you know, we couldn't, unless we are MBA product marketers. But we can expect their MBA product marketers to better than they seem to be doing.
03-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I did a cross-functional assignment once in marketing.

I won't say I'd be a good marketer. But I'd be better than the worst.
03-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #29
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uswrdm02 Quote
As a current medium format Pentax owner who needs to sell his existing gear and would like to replace it with lighter, smaller gear (due to medical reasons) I am totally frustrated by two things - that Pentax Marketing/Partnerships really needs to focus on.

1 - No one, anywhere (except the big NYC dealers) carries Pentax cameras. I've been totally unable to go and look and and handle the cameras!
2 - Pentax keeps coming out with too many cameras. They are so similar in name that it takes hours (yes, HOURS) of research on line to even figure out what the differences are.

I asked my local camera shop why they no longer carry Pentax - they said service really went downhill after they were bought - no local reps that they could get hold of. They spoke highly of the cameras and lenses, but without adequate service, they cut the ties.

Rich M

I believe that Ritz Camera and it's conglomerates carry some of the Pentax line; and could probably order just about anything.

If there is enough demands out there just present that demand to a retailer. Tactfully state that if they can't get it you'll basically be forced into taking your business elsewhere.
03-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #30
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
news release from last summer (I think) announcing P-USA had moved from Golden to downtown Denver with 50 employees!! I want to ask, "What on earth do these 50 people do all day?" but I shouldn't because one of them might read this
They might be meeting up with people from the Sigma SD-1 marketing department; which ironically in either version is the largest DSLR failure - ever. Imagine paying that much (about twice as much as the K-5) for a non full frame model. BTW the original SD-1 (not the Merrill) originally went for about as much as a Leica.

If one would want truly effective marketing; get a good Times Square creative showing; and also get the camera (all Pentax's, even the new K-01) into the hands of career professionals, creative professionals, students, and specific fields - such as backpackers. The reason that the "anchient" Pentax line did so well was because of items such as the K1000. Pentax is indeed capable of doing this again.